QPR confident of Rob Green staying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
    And then terrible v Sheff Utd since, plus a howler v Leicester at the weekend

In fairness though I do think he will be a decent keeper, just needs a run in the side.

I am one of Green's biggest fans, think he has been brilliant for us & that it will take a few years for McCarthy to get himself to Green's level, but even I think it is time for McCarthy to be given a go. Green is 35 now, and we have the chance to get a nominal sum for him (I assume £1m or so) and have a young keeper waiting in the wings to step up (who we also paid £6m for). Especially with us going down, I think it seems the right time to make the transition.
    To be fair to him, he didn't exactly have much in front of him for either game. I will have to pull you up on your assertion that "he will be a decent keeper." He already IS a decent keeper. His spell at Reading was more than enough evidence of that, and the reason we paid £6million for him. If he is given the No.1 jersey, he will be the best keeper in the division.

Comment

We should take whatever money we can and get Green off the wage bill, looks like he doesn't want to take a wage cut thought so I expect him to stay till he goes on a free.

Comment

It's time for the McCarthy era. If we can sell Greeno for a decent price and use those wages to hang on to Fer and Phillips, we have to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitman34 View Post
          Ffs I was hoping we would be shot of flappy green. Another year of yhe bozo
          Blimey hitman, really? You watched us much in the last 2 years?

Originally posted by bakes8 View Post
          as I think he's already a better all-round keeper.

(Again, all this IMO)
          Fair enough, all entitled to em. Out of interest, what do you base this on though?

Originally posted by surrey_hoop View Post
          To be fair to him, he didn't exactly have much in front of him for either game. I will have to pull you up on your assertion that "he will be a decent keeper." He already IS a decent keeper. His spell at Reading was more than enough evidence of that, and the reason we paid £6million for him. If he is given the No.1 jersey, he will be the best keeper in the division.
          Each to their own. I've only seen him for us in a few games & I am not sold on him from what I have seen. Also, the defence in front had nothing to do with him flapping at one of the Sheff Utd crosses that led to their goal.
          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Blimey hitman, really? You watched us much in the last 2 years?

Fair enough, all entitled to em. Out of interest, what do you base this on though?

Each to their own. I've only seen him for us in a few games & I am not sold on him from what I have seen. Also, the defence in front had nothing to do with him flapping at one of the Sheff Utd crosses that led to their goal.
            Just what I've seen of him Matty........... I see him as a bigger, more commanding Keeper than Greeno, also with better feet and quite probably better shot stopping.

That's not a slight on RG though, he's been a top keeper.
            Last edited by bakes8; 27-05-2015, 02:57 PM. Reason: Highlighted wrong part

Comment

Agreed. The fact that he sat on the bench for 5 months beforehand had everything to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by surrey_hoop View Post
                Yes, we are. Taking the absolute p*ss out of the lad if Green stays on. Thanks for your service Rob, but it's time for some fresh blood in nets.
                chance to cut the wage bill too, McCarthy an excellent keeper, just need to give him the jersey
                I must away now, I can no longer tarry
                This morning's tempest I have to cross
                I must be guided without a stumble
                Into the arms I love the most

Comment

I just want a decent back 5 that is hard to score against and if McCarthy is the way to do that then great.

People are quick to forget how many clean sheets Greeno had last time we were in the Championship though.

Comment

Green probably my player of the season this year. Would be great to have him for another year as he is doing well.

However it's possible we will loose McCarthy if we keep Green so I don't think 1 more season only of Green is worth it, make McCarthy No.1 now and we might keep hold of him. If not we have no keepers in 12 months. Possibly.

Comment

If Green stays would expect McCarthy would be off

Comment

Ain't to fussed either way .good keeper. But if he goes that's 2 mil in the kitty. 50k off the books . And still got the best keeper in championship with McCarthy .

Comment

Can understand anyone being nervous about McCarthy from his shows this year but I agree with bakes it's a confidence thing atm and the lack of fist team football. He's a rough diamond like Phillips just needs to know he's a key player and will be given a chance.
                          Anyone who saw him play for reading for the two years before he joined us will know he's a top top talent and the fact that clubs like city, Liverpool, Stoke and wba are all sniffing round shows this.

As for keeping green I just don't get it. I can't see McCarthy staying as back up again and he's our future. Great chance to get a couple of mill for green and get rid of a 30k a week salary.

Comment

And then terrible v Sheff Utd since, plus a howler v Leicester at the weekend

In fairness though I do think he will be a decent keeper, just needs a run in the side.

I am one of Green's biggest fans, think he has been brilliant for us & that it will take a few years for McCarthy to get himself to Green's level, but even I think it is time for McCarthy to be given a go. Green is 35 now, and we have the chance to get a nominal sum for him (I assume £1m or so) and have a young keeper waiting in the wings to step up (who we also paid £6m for). Especially with us going down, I think it seems the right time to make the transition.
                            I'm a fan of Greeno too but this is right on the money. Time to give McCarthy his chance.
                            'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Working...
                            X