A friendly message from the East End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friendly message from the East End

First of all let me say that although I'm a West Ham fan through and through, I have a soft spot for QPR as a lot of the family supports them and I always like to see them do well. I've been following your progress this season and really hoped that you would have enough to stay up, but it's abundantly clear there are a lot of deep-rooted problems on a structural level. I think Tony Fernandes really does want the absolute best for the club, but doesn't seem to know how to go about achieving that. If you look at his business career before and during sport, it's clear that he's a guy who wears his heart on his sleeve, and is genuinely a decent bloke. He was very vocal about being a West Ham fan during his bid to take over in 2011, and it looked like a deal was almost made. It ultimately fell through, and a war of words ensued with our resident #### barons Gold and Sullivan about how a football club should be run. He was pretty close to being our chairman. At the time I really wanted this to happen, but with retrospect it was for the best.

I'm sure that Big Sam's going at the end of the season, he's a useless dinosaur, and the Daves/Brady partnership will make a tidy shilling from the sale of a London club with the Olympic Stadium to an opportune investor. They've conducted incredibly shrewd business, and will leave our club in a good position, making a lot of money in the process. Fernandes hasn't seemed to implement a long term plan for the club, and has preferred to throw money at problems rather than build for the future. It's more naive than malicious, and the football world is a harsh place.

I'm very glad to see Rob Green and Bobby Zamora doing well for you, they always gave their all for us and still are very much loved and respected. Even if Bobby only scores a few times a season, you can't deny his work rate for the team. However, you really need to get rid of the mercenaries like SWP, Rio and Taarabt who are only topping up their pension (or are incredibly lazy) as Barton's already said. I was gutted when we didn't pick up Caulker last summer from Cardiff, but with hindsight I'm really glad, he's been rather error prone. The likes of Phillips, Hoilett and Yun just don't seem to be good enough.

One point, you've taken our rubbish strikers on loan the past two seasons in Maiga and Zarate, who couldn't hit a barn door from 2 yards; could you please take Andy Carroll for your promotion push? It'll only be 90k a week and he'll maybe play 10 games, scoring 2 or 3 goals, before his glass body implodes again. He's got a nice ponytail. Please?

Joking aside, I really hope there's a top to bottom revamp of your club. I'm not saying our model is the ideal one to follow, because it isn't, I'm just speculating as to what would be the next step. I was at Upton Park earlier this season and after the second goal went in, there didn't seem to be any fight in the QPR players, even though there was half an hour to play. Of course we didn't exploit that, a typical trait of an Allardyce team at home, but even back before Christmas the players seemed consigned to loss. Kranjcar was particually poor.

I hope QPR can adopt a new model to evolve, be it like Bournemouth who have spent wisely on young British talent, or like Southampton who have built a lasting youth system. As a club QPR have real financial muscle (pending the outcome of the FFP hearing) with a Chairman who wants to succeed. With the right people in place, it could be a great success. A hungry young manager and a talented backroom staff could go a long way, rather than TV-hungry has-beens like Glenn Hoddle, who was crap 15 years ago. Chris Ramsey's clearly tried his best, coming in February, but really isn't the man to lead QPR forward. The potential is there for a dynasty rather than a flash in the Premier League pan every other season.

All the best, I wish you all every success.

Well and earnestly penned.

Comment

this is why the qpr/west ham bromance lives on...all my hammers mates genuinely like us without malice......best wishes ironworks!
      you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Bobby Moore, one of England's greatest. If you read Rodney Marsh's autobiography there is some stuff in there about Bobby Moore's post playing days. It is a bit sad really.

Although I think FV is very silly, it always amused me how the much feared Manchester United bad boys always got a good chasing whenever they went to West Ham!
        'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Great post mate.

Comment

great post fella
            got a few west ham mates,always get on well with them
            never forgive them for nicking phil parkes of us tho!

Comment

Funny I have always liked West Ham always great games back in the 70s and 80s. Then I married a Hammer too although divorced now �� but she always liked Rangers and still does.

Comment

Good post Ironworks, I've always secretly had a soft spot for West Ham, my best mate growing up, my brother and my partner all support West Ham and they all look out for QPR.
                I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Genuinely great post... WAnt to start our restructuring by becoming a Rangers fan.. We could do with you...

Comment

Originally posted by Ironworks_90 View Post
                    He was pretty close to being our chairman. At the time I really wanted this to happen, but with retrospect it was for the best.
                    Yes, a lucky escape for you.
                    Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                    but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                    http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to post, it is nice to hear a view from the outside and think you're pretty much spot on.

Comment

ironworks

ironworks good to read your post

on a serious note could sam alladyce do us some good

now on a fan note ill say this

many of the big northolt families were half west ham and half qpr so yes i did often go with west ham

to chelseas famous shed end and yes i thoroughly enjoyed myself watching the famous shed end getting took
                        by the mighty west ham

in the game that allan taylor scored both goals all the way to the final he kept scoring two goals,WHEN WAS THAT 1978

give my love to the teddy bunter firm and bill gardner

AND I HOPE OUR FRIENDSHIP CAN STAY TRUE,BY THE WAY I GAVE UP GIGHTING AT FOOTBALL MATHES 35 YEARS AGO
                        IM NOW IN THE FACTOMONDO LOVE CLUB
                        Last edited by Stanley; 13-05-2015, 10:40 AM. Reason: http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/showthread.php?175247-Forum-Rules&p=1197930#post1197930
                        Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Good post pal.

Comment

Cheers Iron!! It's not like we didn't know all of what you said anyway. Anyway I'm sure you mean well. I've never disliked the Hammers, Eastenders are good lads. And the women in Ilford are well up for it!!

Comment

Nice post Iron even though you basically told us what we already knew, we have been run appallingly and could really suffer the consequences.

Out of most London clubs there seems to be a bit of respect between QPR and West Ham, I have noticed it down here in Essex. After we won the play off final last year I went out (still pi ss ed and in my colours) and the amount of Hammers who came up and shook my hand was unbelievable.

Comment

Working...
                              X