Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defoe £6.6mil

Guardian sport ✔ @guardian_sport

Jermain Defoe wanted by #QPR as Toronto consider £6.6m sale http://gu.com/p/4x6ym/tw (Pic: AP) pic.twitter.com/meOFSRc6Y5
    Retweeted by KajanN

Jermain Defoe is wanted by Queens Park Rangers after Ryan Nelsen, the manager who took him to the MLS, was sacked by Toronto.

Harry Redknapp is keen for a reunion with his former Tottenham striker and Defoe could be available for $11m (£6.6m). Toronto’s general manager, Tim Bezbatchenko, said: “We have received multiple offers for Jermain Defoe and we will make a decision on this in the next 24 hours,” while there have been reports that the England forward is already in London for talks.

The news follows the sacking of Ryan Nelsen as coach of Toronto FC after their 3-0 defeat by the New England Revolution on Saturday. Nelsen departs with his team still in contention to make the play-offs but it seems critical comments about Bezbatchenko after Saturday’s defeat may have contributed to his departure.

Nelsen was unhappy with comments Bezbatchenko had made telling the team to “take it up a notch”, claiming his players were being put under undue pressure, but it was the general manager who had the final word in this fight.

“Those comments [Nelsen made] were excuses and we are not in the excuse business,” Bezbatchenko said in announcing Nelsen’s departure.

Greg Vanney, a former United States international who was serving as the club’s assistant general manager, will take over, the club said.

Toronto invested heavily in their squad before the season, with Defoe brought in with the United States international Michael Bradley, and they lie fourth in the Eastern Conference.
    nsa/cia spy on this..............┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

Already in London, when did Ryan get the sack?

Comment

Originally posted by MYU View Post
      Already in London, when did Ryan get the sack?
      Article says that he was in charge of a defeat on Saturday, so must have only been today? Defoe deal could have been set up as soon as we knew Remy was off though!

Comment

Would be a great signing. Hopefully his groin problem isnt as bad as being reported.
        Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
        Pawel Wszolek - 6
        Luke Freeman - 6
        Matt Smith - 6
        Ebere Eze - 4
        Joel Lynch - 3
        Tomer Hemed - 3
        Toni Leistner - 2
        Massimo Luongo- 2
        Angel Rangel - 2
        Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
        Geoff Cameron - 1
        Aramide Oteh - 1
        Jake Bidwell - 1
        Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Defoe played his first game after a few weeks out with a groin injury against Chicago Fire on 23rd August.
          However, he was not selected (or on the bench) this weekend against New England Revolution, after which Nelson was sacked.

So he's either injured again, in which case he may be in London visiting family
          or......

Comment

already in london thats a shock but a key aspect aswell if we are going to sign him then being in london at the start of deadline day and not traveling to london and arriving at mid afternoon and rushing things
            TWITTER
            @alanfullerqpr

FACEBOOK
            Alan Fuller

QPR IS MY LIFE.

Comment

Can we stop with the lLets bring in Defoe chatter. The guy has been injury prone to no end and he hasnt been good since joining an MLS(!) team.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/story/?id=460548

Hes also out for around a month with a groin injury.

Comment

Originally posted by zm15 View Post
                Can we stop with the lLets bring in Defoe chatter. The guy has been injury prone to no end and he hasnt been good since joining an MLS(!) team.

Go to sleep it's late

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Rabbit View Post
                  Go to sleep it's late
                  not really

Comment

it will happen even if you don't like it and he came back last week
                    TWITTER
                    @alanfullerqpr

FACEBOOK
                    Alan Fuller

QPR IS MY LIFE.

Comment

Totally agree I don't think Defoe would a good signing at all. Signing players on past glories is desperate. We should have a quality contingency in place with respect to Remy leaving. Defoe is injury prone and has been playing in a league which suggests his hunger for the game has gone.

Comment

Good player at spurs but he rely's on his sharpness and pace.

I don't think it's a good move for us because the injury's do seem to be racking up with him and I feel his best years are behind him.
                        The striker area is our no1 concern and we should be looking to go that bit extra to bring in someone who is younger and wants to impress.
                        Players like Leroy Fer are the standard I'd like to hope we now have set
                        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Hasn't been any good?

Did you miss all his MLS goals then?

Injury prone? Not in his time in England. Had a 'convenient' injury in Canada since falling out with the head honcho at Maple Leaf Sports but that's about it.
                          Meet me by the railway tracks

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Tightlips View Post
                            Hasn't been any good?

Did you miss all his MLS goals then?

Injury prone? Not in his time in England. Had a 'convenient' injury in Canada since falling out with the head honcho at Maple Leaf Sports but that's about it.
                            Just to add, the article in this thread says
                            The English striker has scored 11 goals in 16 games
                            Sounds a pretty good return to me!

Comment

Glass half full V half empty again.

Comment

Working...
                              X