The great Derbylona

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The great Derbylona

Weren't that great were they? No cutting edge whatsoever, reminded me a bit of QPR under Paulo Sousa. In fairness we weren't great either (excluding the defence), but from the media hype I was expecting to witness an exhilarating display of East Midlands total football that would go down in legend. As for their fans, could hardly hear them - except one comment outside the ground before the game when a man informed my father that 'they were going to beat us 4-1'. Woops

Have to agree. I don't like to gloat, especially as we were very poor all match, but for all their time on the ball they rarely looked threatening. No final ball, very workmanlike. Even when they had that succession of corners, were you really that nervous? Some (not all) of their fans were so arrogant before the match they just seemed to think they needed to turn up, but actually they were clueless about breaking us down. I posted in response to a very bullish thread from Derby prior to the match that could they really be that confident that for all their form and revival under McClaren that their young squad would be tactically astute enough against our experience. Yet again we were very, very poor apart from in defence as we have been all season - but we won, again. A Derby fan outside said they were very unlucky, but actually they were just a bit clueless - if we were 1-0 down against ten men with half an hour to play we would have thrown the kitchen sink at it but I never really felt that Derby even went for it. Not really, not flat out. They rarely took a shot and seemed too nervous. They ventured very little and got very little. That said I wish them no ill will and with a year's experience under their belt with McClaren they will only improve and must be a good bet for next seaon.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
      Have to agree. I don't like to gloat, especially as we were very poor all match, but for all their time on the ball they rarely looked threatening. No final ball, very workmanlike. Even when they had that succession of corners, were you really that nervous? Some (not all) of their fans were so arrogant before the match they just seemed to think they needed to turn up, but actually they were clueless about breaking us down. I posted in response to a very bullish thread from Derby prior to the match that could they really be that confident that for all their form and revival under McClaren that their young squad would be tactically astute enough against our experience. Yet again we were very, very poor apart from in defence as we have been all season - but we won, again. A Derby fan outside said they were very unlucky, but actually they were just a bit clueless - if we were 1-0 down against ten men with half an hour to play we would have thrown the kitchen sink at it but I never really felt that Derby even went for it. Not really, not flat out. They rarely took a shot and seemed too nervous. They ventured very little and got very little. That said I wish them no ill will and with a year's experience under their belt with McClaren they will only improve and must be a good bet for next seaon.
      Very accurate summary there, Stainrod. They never looked like scoring - their only real threat was Hughes who McLaren bizarrely took off in the second half! I like McLaren as well, but the cockiness of their supporters prior to the match makes this victory feel even sweeter.

Comment

I looked at then before the season as a team who is very close, but not quite there. I thought they would have had a good year under Clough. If they manage to hold onto their youngsters, then I can see them in the top 6 again next season. I was pretty amazed when they subbed Russell off. They looked like a different team out there, and not in a good way. Why did they sub him?

Comment

They fans were sooooooooooooooo cocky on their forums the last couple of weeks. Their build up thread had pretty much everyone predicting a Derby win. No humility at all.

Comment

Got on the train after 9 pm and got booed by The Derby fans. They said we were lucky. I said you had a man advantage for 30 minutes and did not have the quality to finish us off. We finished you off on one mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
              This.

About 10 minutes after O'Neil was given his marching orders, I said to the wife that McLaren should be the most worried manager. Derby were playing against 10 men and not really threatening at all. Everything that they sent into the box came back out with interest.

Comment

[QUOTE=Wolfy;1265576]Got on the train after 9 pm and got booed by The Derby fans. They said we were lucky. I said you had a man advantage for 30 minutes and did not have the quality to finish us off. We finished you off on one mistake.[/QUOTE]

this^^ Fotball is sometimes like a party of chess.
                QPR
                Best team in the world
                Sort of

Comment

I fully expected to lose once down to ten men. So much so that was the quietest I've been at a match all season. I was resigned to our fate; wasn't angry or upset. Couldn't see us getting to penalties. Their keeper didn't touch the ball in open play between the 58th and 90th minute. But it all made Bob's goal the sweeter. Unbelievable. Wonderful.

Comment

They thought they'd walked this since we beat Wigan.

Delighted & f#ck them. Arrogant. (A lot not all)

Comment

C*cky b*stards...the fans that is.....as for the team yeah decent enough side.....I'd be worried if i was them ....this was their big chance...
                      They finished 3rd...they were favs, they should've gone up, everything was on their side, history everything, and they blew it.
                      But never mind, let's not dwell on who came 2nd ........this is our time....I LOVE YOU RANGERS!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X