Stan Bowles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stan Bowles

I was listening to Trevor Francis on fantasy football last night, he was talking about the best players he had played with, this is a guy that played in Italy at the time Seria A WAS the league, he also played for England, and that great Notts Forest team. So when asked to name the top players he had played with and he mentions Stan the Man, nuff said. The best I have seen in the hoops.
    Kept the faith!

he wasn't too shabby himself, thought the hat-trick he got for us against Villa was top drawer
    I must away now, I can no longer tarry
    This morning's tempest I have to cross
    I must be guided without a stumble
    Into the arms I love the most

Comment

Yeah good player even in his mid thirties.
      Kept the faith!

Comment

Originally posted by lymehoop View Post
        he wasn't too shabby himself, thought the hat-trick he got for us against Villa was top drawer
        ...and that flying bicycle kick v Charlton was it?

Comment

I remember him scoring a hatrick at Villa park, I think? and one was a lob over the keeper.
          Kept the faith!

Comment

Stan bowles was my first football hero-everyone in the playground wanted to be him. Our greatest player. Amazing that england never acchieved more in the 70's-an abundance of genuinely great players....shame a lot were drinkers.
            PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Originally posted by bushcelt1 View Post
              Stan bowles was my first football hero-everyone in the playground wanted to be him. Our greatest player. Amazing that england never acchieved more in the 70's-an abundance of genuinely great players....shame a lot were drinkers.
              same..well actually a lot of my mates were Toshack,Keegan, Greenhoff etc

Comment

Very skillful players around and quite a few of them wore the hoops around that period, but you could be right, it could have been a lifestyle problem, shame,
                Kept the faith!

Comment

Agree dave,always a greenhoff,keegan or a peter lorimer when it came to a blistering shot from all of 3yds. Shilton over clemence but always parkes for me. Lifestyles in those days Defo stopped the national team being gr during that period imo. The fa Hated that maverick/free spirit image and style...frank worthington being an example-.so talented.
                  PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Agree dave,always a greenhoff,keegan or a peter lorimer when it came to a blistering shot from all of 3yds. Shilton over clemence but always parkes for me. Lifestyles in those days Defo stopped the national team being gr during that period imo. The fa Hated that maverick/free spirit image and style...frank worthington being an example-.so talented.
                    think Alan Hudson came in that category as well Bush....great player but should have got greater recognition imo.

Comment

I remember seeing Worthingham score one of the best goals I have seen by an away team.
                      Kept the faith!

Comment

Yeah haha so right mate. I remember the Cossack hairspray add on the telly and the pride i had it was Phil Parkes our keeper chosen for it. Remember giving it large
                        to a west ham fan that Mervyn Day was garbage compared to Phil!
                        Worthington was a proper ******* type wasn't he, it was one of the things i liked about Stan, his taunting of opposition players... his all over the papers, not only the back pages...rebel
                        ^
                        _____________________p l a y b o y ?
                        Last edited by QPRDave; 22-03-2014, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Spot on tw-peter osgood also. The fa should be shot for some decisions even regarding managers...clough being an example. Yes men in charge changed silky skills for up and under tackics.
                          PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Tony currie ffs...
                            PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Spot on tw-peter osgood also. The fa should be shot for some decisions even regarding managers...clough being an example. Yes men in charge changed silky skills for up and under tackics.
                              yeah, forgot about Osgood, him as well......more recently Le Tiss too, how he never played more for England is beyond me!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X