Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QPR Media Image

Why do the media dislike us so much??

In the prem we could not fart without being criticised with accusations of over spending or going bust bla bla bla

Cardiff in preseason spent approaching £35mil (£15mil of that without the owners consent) and no one bats an eye lid, Norwich done I think £25mil no one bats and eyelid West Ham spend £15mil on an injured striker no one bats an eye lid Southampton done £36mil and Palace £19mil

We from memory never spent anywhere close in those figures in transfer fees but got belted week after week

Why are we disliked??

I really don't understand it. When our owners interfered we were ridiculed as a club, yet the media seem to leave them alone, with regards to disparaging remarks.

Comment

Originally posted by QPRDave View Post
      I really don't understand it. When our owners interfered we were ridiculed as a club, yet the media seem to leave them alone, with regards to disparaging remarks.
      Cardiff chairman is getting a pounding from all directions tbf

Comment

Originally posted by DeepcutHoop View Post
        Cardiff chairman is getting a pounding from all directions tbf
        Oh ok deep....i haven't seen much personally....maybe thats it .....we notice more when we are criticised.

Comment

Oh ok deep....i haven't seen much personally....maybe thats it .....we notice more when we are criticised.
          Think that's right. Also a certain amount of the criticism was because we had so little to show for it. If we had bought the likes of Ince, Rhodes etc and gone down I don't think the papers wd have been that hard on us but it was because we were so clearly trying to run before we cd walk in the Prem. If you really, really splurge the cash and try to buy the title like Man City or Chelsea then you might not be liked but you are at least respected and feared. We just made ourselves look a bit of a laughing stock.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
            Think that's right. Also a certain amount of the criticism was because we had so little to show for it. If we had bought the likes of Ince, Rhodes etc and gone down I don't think the papers wd have been that hard on us but it was because we were so clearly trying to run before we cd walk in the Prem. If you really, really splurge the cash and try to buy the title like Man City or Chelsea then you might not be liked but you are at least respected and feared. We just made ourselves look a bit of a laughing stock.
            But Cardiff as an example spend £35mil as a team promoted and it has only become a problem for the media because they clearly liked the manager where as we were jumped all over from the off plus we never really spent on fees more salaries

Comment

I thought some of our buys were top players Stainrod....The pirate, Hoilett, Mbia was well thought of on other fan boards. I agree though we would've been left alone with more conservative signings like those you mentioned

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                But Cardiff as an example spend £35mil as a team promoted and it has only become a problem for the media because they clearly liked the manager where as we were jumped all over from the off plus we never really spent on fees more salaries
                That is a good point mate, it was all about us spending recklessly having just been promoted seemed to be their angle most of the time

Comment

That is a good point mate, it was all about us spending recklessly having just been promoted seemed to be their angle most of the time
                  exactly and angle which does not appear to apply to others

Comment

I thought some of our buys were top players Stainrod....The pirate, Hoilett, Mbia was well thought of on other fan boards. I agree though we would've been left alone with more conservative signings like those you mentioned
                    So did I mate, I'm not one of these fans who dumps all over the chairman after the event and says "told you so". I remembered what a beast Samba had been for Blackburn and I thought he would probably keep us up single-handed. I looked at the kind of non-entities Norwich etc were signing and thought we had done much better business. But for some reason our lot didn't play with much passion - the Pirate for instance, like Carroll now, just got blown off the ball. Teams like Cardiff although they have spent a lot haven't gone for massive names and so their wage structure hasn't been blown out of the water. We had players like Clint and Shaun saying "the guy next to me is earning six times more and he treats it like a joke." I guess the lesson is you either really go for it and buy real Champions League players or you go for the modest approach, but you don't get a load of has-beens on massive wages and boast how many Champions League winners you have because that's just setting yourself for a fall (and a media mauling). But that's all being wise after the event. As for the Cardiff chairman, he is getting way, way more stick than anything directed at Tony.

Comment

I agree with the OP, the media have been hard on us but I really don't care, they are the media and paid to talk or write! I must admit on some of the tv broadcasts the comments irked me but that was usually because we were losing and I was bitter! Speaking of which I watched Palace trying to hang on at City today, I don't miss those matches one bit!
                      @gatorTFC

Comment

We tried to buy success but on the cheap...backfired and made us look like fools.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                          So did I mate, I'm not one of these fans who dumps all over the chairman after the event and says "told you so". I remembered what a beast Samba had been for Blackburn and I thought he would probably keep us up single-handed. I looked at the kind of non-entities Norwich etc were signing and thought we had done much better business. But for some reason our lot didn't play with much passion - the Pirate for instance, like Carroll now, just got blown off the ball. Teams like Cardiff although they have spent a lot haven't gone for massive names and so their wage structure hasn't been blown out of the water. We had players like Clint and Shaun saying "the guy next to me is earning six times more and he treats it like a joke." I guess the lesson is you either really go for it and buy real Champions League players or you go for the modest approach, but you don't get a load of has-beens on massive wages and boast how many Champions League winners you have because that's just setting yourself for a fall (and a media mauling). But that's all being wise after the event. As for the Cardiff chairman, he is getting way, way more stick than anything directed at Tony.
                          Good post Stainrod, a lot of things you've said there was exactly how i thought at the time...ie Samba and Norwich.

Comment

Originally posted by vblockranger View Post
                            We tried to buy success but on the cheap...backfired and made us look like fools.
                            V you have put that very very well. Shopping at Harrods but in the reduced section

Comment

I think the amount spent had the media exaggerating just due to the sheer quantity of players through the door as didn't we sign the most amount of players in one window?
                              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Working...
                              X