yesterdays side vs warnocks side

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yesterdays side vs warnocks side

Great start and enjoyed watching them. Now we're well into the season (cough) how do you gents feel about the sides chances of getting promoted. I thought measuring it vs Warnocks side might be a starting point. Maybe an easier/more sensible question after a few more games but couldn't wait :-)

Defense to attack - this is what impressed me most. With Junior, AJ, SWP, Traore.....even Barton (football brain) there's much more pace in the side compared to Adel double backing on himself and us looking for a lone striker in Helguson (ok loanees Routlege and Walker offered us something at times).

Defense - looked a but shaky, didn't like the way a long ball could put us on the back foot at times (get used to it Dave, this is football). Ok, if I was to be a little more specific, I think it was the balance of the team particularly in the middle that caused us to be opened up a little bit too much. Maybe this is MY nerves still shot to bits from last two seasons. :-)

Team spirit/confidence - as mention in another thread it seems to be there. Low confidence, no matter what league, is a bugger to get rid of. Only a run of wins can install genuine confidence that in turn. Imagine the training ground had we only picked up a point. Or worse!

In summary, not as solid looking as Warnock's Army but some of this has to be a trade off for Harry playing a 442. Rest I put down to CM balance, new players and a little bit of nerves still.

So, changes to help rectify this? I would say a big ugly centre halve is needed (not sure Dunne is the answer...apart from the ugly part) but let's leave transfers alone for now and work with the squad we've got for next game. Simple.....

I'd drop Henry and play Diakite (wait, hear me out). With Faurlin breaking up play, Samba won't be under as much pressure to do so = less rash challenges & allowing him to get/burst/glide forward more. We don't need Henry playing next to Ali....he doesn't offer anything extra.

Or (if he stays) Barton central and SWP out wide (prefer the one above though)

On final point & not wanting to get ahead of myself here, I think the squad we've got would be better equipt for life back in premiership also. Not as many wholesale changes needed which is surely a good thing (better for bank balance, team spirit, team used to playing with each other)

Cheers, off to get me Sunday paper again with a smile.....been a while.
    Dave

I wouldn't have Diakite anywhere near the team, thankfully he has played his last match for us.

Comment

Diakite hasnt trained or played for us for months, no way at all would I want him near the first team. Henry is this years Derry, I think he will do ok.

Comment

Diakite, M'Bia and Tarrabt will be offski soon IMO.

Tarrabt is the only one I really miss because he was brilliant for us in that promotion season and if he wanted to stay he could be a hero again.

Diakite hasn't trained nor wants to be here and M'bia is way to clumsy for this league and cost us games.

Comment

Diakite does he even exist??? I reckon we have all imagined him

Comment

Defence: current team a bit less solid. We were crying out for a Gorks yesterday. Onouha cd fill the Connolly role but am worried whether Clint still has enough in the tank.

Midfield: we have far more options now but on yesterday's performance the Derry of three years ago was a lot better than Henry. Barton better than Ephraim. If Henry is dropped for Jenas or Mbia wd say we are a lot stronger now.

Wingers: Hoilett v Routledge - probably not a lot to pick between them.

Strikers: was a big fan of Helguson but Austin should be more prolific.

Free role: that year Adel ripped the division apart. This year we have nobody in that role. So imo we are going to be more workmanlike. Johnson will need to stay fit or Zamora find his mojo or we need another striker on top because otherwise its all on Austin's shoulders.

In conclusion I wd say we now have more quality across the team and strength in depth but if Adel is out of the picture I see a season of grinding out wins rather than tearing teams apart as we did that year.

Comment

Working...
            X