No announcement yet.

Captain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gerrard, Keane, Adams and even Terry are natural leaders and Captains and in some cases they were not even their respective teams best player.

Comment

All those saying the captains role is now irrelevant, i get that. But surely a good captain would make a difference?

Not every club needs one, no, Gareth Bale doesn't need an armband to change a game, but we're a small club, that doesn't have Gareth Bale.

I reckon the club needs leaders on the pitch, Clint Hill was a great leader, but wasn't a good enough player to lead by example other than 150% effort. We get a player that is good, perhaps a Luongo, that could change a game, and within that person find a Clint Hill (which Luongo ain't), then we find a captain that would make a difference.

It's a bit like showing up to work when your boss says nothing to you, just expects you to be good. Well, that works sometimes, but I like the boss and I like to be the boss that people want to work hard for. When the manager on the touchline isn't working, when the crowd isn't enough, then maybe the captain is the one in the 83rd minute at 2-1 down at 10 men that can be the difference.

Ned is the best option for now, but i feel the side is really lacking those game changers. midfield boss, inventive winger/striker/#10 influential defender perhaps and I think one of these guys should have the armband in the future.
      Last edited by topperharley; 08-12-2016, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
        Gerrard scored 2 in Cardiff and dragged them through in Istanbul so would say he was a massive reason they won those games.
        True, but top players can drag teams through momentous occasions regardless of an arm band - Bale consistently for Wales...

Comment

Bale is within the best 4-5 players in the world so not a shock there. Do you think the Portuga playersl are inspired by having Ronaldo in their team and as captain?

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
            I'm not onouras biggest fan but there really isn't many other better choice of captain at the club.

The guy gives 100% every week that can't be denied but the way some on here cream themselves over him is cringeworthy.
            Genuinely curious, who 'creams themselves' over Ned? Can't say I have ever seen anybody wax lyrical about Ned? Personally, I think he is a decent enough CB at this level, nothing more nothing less.

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
            And on the flip side others say how utterly useless he is, again IMO over the top.

Like yourself I'm not his biggest fan but he's a half decent player, not the complete flop others on here would have you believe.
            Bang on, the ridiculous OTT slamming of Ned is far more prevalent than any 'creaming' over him - and totally unjust may I add.
            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

A poor centre half who would of made a good bank manager
              I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
                Genuinely curious, who 'creams themselves' over Ned? Can't say I have ever seen anybody wax lyrical about Ned?
                Well he's obviously referring to Nasser. I guess that slipped your notice Matty

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                  Well he's obviously referring to Nasser. I guess that slipped your notice Matty
                  That's a good point
                  You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by 1973 ranger View Post
                    Gerrard scored 2 in Cardiff and dragged them through in Istanbul so would say he was a massive reason they won those games.
                    Probably worth mentioning in the top 3-4 CM's in the world at the time LOL

Comment

Agree with that Jimmy but underlines the value he brought to that club.

Comment

Originally posted by West Acton View Post
                        Sit down take a breath relax it was 73 I was conversing with
                        ok taken that breath

Comment

Genuinely curious, who 'creams themselves' over Ned? Can't say I have ever seen anybody wax lyrical about Ned? Personally, I think he is a decent enough CB at this level, nothing more nothing less.
                          I take it you don't read Nasser's posts then Matty?

Comment

That's a good point
                            Sorry didn't see this

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Floyd Rabbit View Post
                              And on the flip side others say how utterly useless he is, again IMO over the top.

Like yourself I'm not his biggest fan but he's a half decent player, not the complete flop others on here would have you believe.
                              Yeah I'd go along with that

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdave View Post
                                I take it you don't read Nasser's posts then Matty?
                                I rate him, he intercepts well, he's physically a beast, strong and good in the air but also extremely fast. At this level, he's at the top tier because of that and he's technically better than people give him credit for so considering some of the players who make it regularly into premier league defences, I would say he's a lower third prem centre back, especially because of his fitness and awareness.

He's better than most people here give him credit for and as a captain, the respect he has makes him imo the best candidate.
                                "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Working...
                                X