Be honest now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
    All the signings of summer 2012 bar Greeno were terrible: Mbia, Boswinga, Park were all totally yuck signings. Cesar was a dumb a ss signing; AJ was a very bad signing. Holliett was poor that season (but has been and could be further redeemed). Five s hit signings. And turfing Joey out was madness.
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing......

Going back to the OP....I simply can't help myself but be super optimistic before the start of EVERY season....I'm just waiting for reality to bite.

Comment

We go into this campaign with a manager who's got heaps of experience in the premiership and a team of quality who have bonded.... I'm fairly confident!
      SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
        What would be the point of that, with the season already started. What if we get slaughtered again on the opening day - or win comfortably, opinions will fluctuate much more then than now if we get a couple of more players which won't be as impressive-sounding as Rio anyway.
        Until the transfer window closes and all new signings are complete, I wouldn't be able to tell you how confident I'd be over how the season as a whole will pan out.

Boring answer I know but an honest one. I maintain this would be a decent poll to repost at that time.

I'd also wager there'll be more than "a couple more players" incoming before then.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnnykc View Post
          Hindsight is a wonderful thing......

Going back to the OP....I simply can't help myself but be super optimistic before the start of EVERY season....I'm just waiting for reality to bite.
          A very fair point. And we all wanted these players to do well. But I was uneasy at Joey being bombed out and I couldn't help but think that Park was a bad signing made for commercial reasons (and I hoped Mbia and Boswinga weren't). AJ looked good for three and a half games or so but he was always going to be crocked.

Thing is, of those signings, only Green and Holliett proved worthwhile. Established, fit British players (one semi Canadian) with experience of British football with good attitudes. The type of player we've got in this summer (so far...... Crouch might still loom??)
          Last edited by Rangers77; 05-08-2014, 11:04 AM.

Comment

I'm less confident.

Pre-season under Hughes was quite exciting - it felt like we had survived and could now push on. Players like Green, Cesar, Nelsen, Park and Bosingwa looked like they would add some experience and solidity to the squad, even if they were no longer world beaters. It looked like the club has also done good business with younger players like Diakite, Mbia, Fabio and Granero coming in. I was concerned about the lack of strikers, but Cisse and Zamora had finished the season well, and Johnson, Macheda and Bothroyd all looked like decent squad players. I don't think anyone expected it would go as wrong as it did.

This season: we're still pretty light two weeks out from the opening match, and we were very, very lucky to be promoted last season. The team rarely played with any fluidity, and poor performances this season will be punished far more harshly than they were by Championship-level opposition. If we get off to a decent start I think we'll be alright, but if we're still looking for a win after the first five game, we'll be in big, big trouble. More than staying up I hope we cut the wage bill and spend sensibly so if we do go down the club's future won't be in as much peril as it was last time.

Comment

because i feel we are buying the right type of player this season compared to the squad to years ago.
              TWITTER
              @alanfullerqpr

FACEBOOK
              Alan Fuller

QPR IS MY LIFE.

Comment

Originally posted by Felt View Post
                I'm less confident.

Pre-season under Hughes was quite exciting - it felt like we had survived and could now push on. Players like Green, Cesar, Nelsen, Park and Bosingwa looked like they would add some experience and solidity to the squad, even if they were no longer world beaters. It looked like the club has also done good business with younger players like Diakite, Mbia, Fabio and Granero coming in. I was concerned about the lack of strikers, but Cisse and Zamora had finished the season well, and Johnson, Macheda and Bothroyd all looked like decent squad players. I don't think anyone expected it would go as wrong as it did.

This season: we're still pretty light two weeks out from the opening match, and we were very, very lucky to be promoted last season. The team rarely played with any fluidity, and poor performances this season will be punished far more harshly than they were by Championship-level opposition. If we get off to a decent start I think we'll be alright, but if we're still looking for a win after the first five game, we'll be in big, big trouble. More than staying up I hope we cut the wage bill and spend sensibly so if we do go down the club's future won't be in as much peril as it was last time.
                Great post.

Comment

Originally posted by Felt View Post
                  I'm less confident.

An honest and fair post. But you were wrong then, so let's hope you're wrong now.....

Comment

Macheda was actually the season before now I think about it, but anyway.

Comment

We have a better manager.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                        All the signings of summer 2012 bar Greeno were terrible: Mbia, Boswinga, Park were all totally yuck signings. Cesar was a dumb a ss signing; AJ was a very bad signing. Holliett was poor that season (but has been and could be further redeemed). Five s hit signings. And turfing Joey out was madness.
                        Hindsight is a truly awesome thing.

Edit: Apologies, I see it has already been covered. Must learn to read to the end of a thread first.

Comment

I'm just the same as always going into a new season. You never know what will happen and there is nearly always a surprise team that does well. Thinking about it, I am resigned to this season being a real struggle and if we end up going back down, so be it. All I really want is for the team to give it a good go and look like they really care about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepcutHoop View Post
                            Hindsight is a truly awesome thing.

Edit: Apologies, I see it has already been covered. Must learn to read to the end of a thread first.
                            Had you read to the end you would have had foresight I take your point, Deeps

Comment

Slightly more confident. I think (hope) lessons have been learned.

Comment

I'm a 100 times less confident but I think it was because my confidence was overinflated back then. 2 years ago we'd signed all these great players, we'd hammered Kelantan FC of Malaysia 5-0, Tarbs had signed a new contract. Even after Swansea, I was still confident. "Its cos we kept pushing forward, thats why the exploited us, no biggie". Then Cesar joined and played a few blinders. Faurlin and Granero looked amazing. Sure, we still hadnt won but we looked pretty good. Look at all the ex Champions League winners we had!

As of now, even if Isla and Mutch are confirmed, on paper at least our squad isnt as good as 2 years ago. But we all know games are not played on paper, and I believe this team will knuckle down as a unit.

I think we'll do enough to scrape by, but 2 years ago it was top half this, Europa League that. Expectations well and truly lowered!

Comment

Working...
                                X