No announcement yet.

The Rooney Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's DISCRIMINATION......or as this word gets chucked about in this country often....Racist

Comment

All this 'Rooney rule' is shite... If a manager is good enough then he will get the job. If he could make the team/club better then why would you not want him. Just more excuses.

I remember when I was a kid early 90's and I used to play football, there wasn't any black mangers for the amateur youth teams.. Pretty sure there wasn't an interview process for them jobs, it was whoever had a few hours spare in the week a And on a Sunday. That was before all the coaching badges lark you need today.

Will be interesting to see the percentage in qualifies coaches between Black/White... Nowadays there are more black coaches in youth football.
      C'Mon You Supaaaa!!

Comment

From soccernomics:

You would think that, given this discrimination, unprejudiced football clubs could clean up by hiring the best black (or female) managers at low salaries. A small club like Tranmere Rovers, say, could probably take its pick of the world’s black managers. It could get the best female manager in history. Yet it probably won’t. That’s because the market in football managers is so different from the market in players. Markets tend to work when they are transparent –when you can see who is doing what and place a value on it. That is pre-eminently true of footballers, who do their work in public. When you can’t see what people do, it’s very hard to assign a value to their work. Efficient markets punish discrimination in plain view of everyone, and so discrimination tends to get rooted out. Inefficient markets can maintain discrimination almost indefinitely.

Comment

Gobbledegook....

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoR View Post
            I live in the states and struggle withy the rule. All it does is get a minority coach to an interview. The owners have a shortlist and usually know who they want but a black coach still gets interviewed when he has no real chance. It is just a show. It's not because he's a minority it is because the team has someone better in mind. NFL is all about winning and if a black coach wins he'll get hired, if not he won't. The NFL has about 3-5 black HCs that I can think of right now but many more in AC positions.

I'm assuming the same applies in UK, best man gets the job but cant say. In the NFL about 15% of HCs are black. What is the percentage in England?
            In England last season it was 6.5%!

Comment

Of the 230 clubs that make up the seven tiers of English football below the top flight, only 14 have black managers (6.09%).

And in the premier league it's 0%

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                Of the 230 clubs that make up the seven tiers of English football below the top flight, only 14 have black managers (6.09%).

And in the premier league it's 0%
                If only it was 5% this season.

Comment

^^^^^^ Those numbers are bad. Not saying it is but hard to argue race isn't an issue. Where do you draw the line? No female coaches for example. Why so few Irish or welsh managers? Football is a business and though the numbers look bad, there's too much money at stake not hire the best man for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                    Ok, so as you're now broadening it out, for argument's sake let us assume an organisation is institutionally racist (any organisation, not just a footballing body). How would you then tackle that problem (which is what Rooney's Rule is attempting to achieve)?
                    With education.

Perhaps being a racist oneself is a viable strategy for combating racism but I wouldn't know because I've never tried it myself.
                    'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                      I think the point of the rooney rule is that it doesn't force clubs to hire black managers but it forces them to interview one. The issue is that this sport has established and inherent stereotyping that limits opportunities for people of colour to get a job in the sport. This is a 100% absolute fact and having a rooney rule will allow for more open entry into the sport and ensure that everyone who is qualified gets a chance to at least interview at the club.
                      Rather like the NBA, which is institutionally racist against people under 6 feet tall. Since there is a clear correlation between race and height there is an undeniable statistical argument that favouring taller players is racist.
                      'Only a Ranger!' cried Gandalf. 'My dear Frodo, that is just what the Rangers are: the last remnant in the South of the great people, the Men of West London.' - Lord of the Rings, Book II, Chapter I - Many Meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by dsqpr View Post
                        Rather like the NBA, which is institutionally racist against people under 6 feet tall. Since there is a clear correlation between race and height there is an undeniable statistical argument that favouring taller players is racist.
                        Surely even you see that your argument is codswallop

The Dutch are the tallest nation in the world on average and you don't see many in the NBA!

Comment

Originally posted by Awin View Post
                          Surely even you see that your argument is codswallop
                          Ah, the irony. That reply isn't even an argument. If you think my argument is codswallop then let's hear why.

Comment

Read my edited post fella!

Comment

That does not prove that shorter races are not discriminated against. The fact is that short players are statistically under represented in the NBA and that it therefore discriminates against races who are shorter.

And of course I'm intentionally leaving out the key fact as an exercise for the reader but from your reply I guess it needs to be said: the key missing fact from the whole "institutionally racist because of statistical underrepresentation" argument is that shorter people are not as good at basketball as taller ones. That is why short people are under represented in the NBA, not because of racism.

Perhaps the same is true in other arenas. Statistical under representation does not imply racism.
                              Last edited by dsqpr; 14-09-2015, 10:07 PM.

Comment

in fact top 10 tallest nations are

Holland
                                Sweden
                                Denmark
                                Norway
                                Estonia
                                Finland
                                Germany
                                Greece
                                United States
                                Australia

In fact not one African country makes it into the top 10 so your argument is pure codswallop

Comment

Working...
                                X