• Show
Clear All

• 1st 5 games.

Hull (H) - L

Spurs (A) - L

Sunderland (H) - W

M.UTD (A) - L

Stoke (H) - D

Our 1st 5 games of the league, would you've been happy with this before the season started?

I'm going to say yes!

The only 1 I would of expected to win that we didn't was Hull, but it was the 1st game in and we played well...
    SIR LESLIE FERDINAND!!

If chaz hadnt of fluffed that pen our start would of looked very good. As it is, its just okay.

Comment

Would have liked a draw against Hull

Comment

We have played five games and conceded 11 goals, three of which have been played at home against three of the weaker sides in the division. Fairly well recognized you need to achieve a point a game to avoid relegation and we havn't even with the the easier fixtures. Whilst it would have been nice to have got the result we deserved against Hull it is far to early to worry about point totals.

The bigger concern is the team shape and coaching. We have so far in those five games played 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and today a diamond in midfield. This despite all our pre-season dedicated to 3-5-2 including our recruitment policy. We don't seem to have an agreed formation or tactics and look like a load of strangers.

If I was asked to scout us I would be hard pressed to state what exactly we are trying to achieve. Created almost nothing today, or indeed in the last three games in open play, and today got out of jail by two set pieces. Need to decide on a formation and stick with it but if it isn't 3-5-2 it is hard to understand Simpson going and not getting a replacement to name but one decision by Redknapp.

Comment

Originally posted by rickyranger View Post
          We have played five games and conceded 11 goals, three of which have been played at home against three of the weaker sides in the division. Fairly well recognized you need to achieve a point a game to avoid relegation and we havn't even with the the easier fixtures. Whilst it would have been nice to have got the result we deserved against Hull it is far to early to worry about point totals.

The bigger concern is the team shape and coaching. We have so far in those five games played 3-5-2, 4-3-3, 4-4-2 and today a diamond in midfield. This despite all our pre-season dedicated to 3-5-2 including our recruitment policy. We don't seem to have an agreed formation or tactics and look like a load of strangers.

If I was asked to scout us I would be hard pressed to state what exactly we are trying to achieve. Created almost nothing today, or indeed in the last three games in open play, and today got out of jail by two set pieces. Need to decide on a formation and stick with it but if it isn't 3-5-2 it is hard to understand Simpson going and not getting a replacement to name but one decision by Redknapp.
          Can't really argue with that . I have concerns I must admit

Comment

Originally posted by Greg1882 View Post
            Can't really argue with that . I have concerns I must admit
            Let's be realistic this is a bottom 5 club. With the dodgy Rio at the back and lack of punch upfront we will be fortunate to survive. We can only hope that we get the rub of the green and the goals come from the midfield.

Comment

I think we needed 3 points against Hull or Stoke. To take 1 point out of 6 at home against those two is relegation form.

I also share RickyRanger's concerns over formation and creativity. I would add lack of organisation throughout but especially at the back as an issue.

We signed players late, as we have done on each of our three attempts at this league since the 90's, so they will need time to gel but it's going to have to be quick. In a 20 team league there's only so many Hulls and Stokes at home, we can't afford to let any more slip by.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfy View Post
                Let's be realistic this is a bottom 5 club. With the dodgy Rio at the back and lack of punch upfront we will be fortunate to survive. We can only hope that we get the rub of the green and the goals come from the midfield.
                Yeah I agree with you mate . This is a very strong league , I'd like to think we can do it but it's gonna be tough

Comment

Away games I expected 0 points so no issues there.

The three home games are against teams we really needed 6 points from so a little behind where we need to be but no need to panic just yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ellerslie View Post
                    I think we needed 3 points against Hull or Stoke. To take 1 point out of 6 at home against those two is relegation form.

I also share RickyRanger's concerns over formation and creativity. I would add lack of organisation throughout but especially at the back as an issue.

We signed players late, as we have done on each of our three attempts at this league since the 90's, so they will need time to gel but it's going to have to be quick. In a 20 team league there's only so many Hulls and Stokes at home, we can't afford to let any more slip by.
                    I love that people are only selecting the two home games where we didn't win, Lest we forget a win against sunderland. Remember we are a team who is lacking full fitness and injuries have affected us. To take 4 points so far is good. Win one of our next two games and everyone is happy so no need to be concerned
                    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
                      I love that people are only selecting the two home games where we didn't win, Lest we forget a win against sunderland. Remember we are a team who is lacking full fitness and injuries have affected us. To take 4 points so far is good. Win one of our next two games and everyone is happy so no need to be concerned
                      I picked those games as points of concern due to the opposition. Had they been Man City and Chelsea I would not consider them a problem.

I do see the pattern of our recent premier league campaigns repeating (obviously, it's a pattern): sign some good players but quite late, team and squad doesn't get a proper pre-season to gel and be assessed, look short in a few areas after transfer window closes.

I am not a negative moaner of a fan, I'm more positive than most, I believe we have good coaches and that we can be coached to be a good team. I am pragmatist however, I am not going to pretend that we are mid-table or mid-bottom-half when I think we are currently one of the three worst teams based on what I have seen up to now. I will change my view if I see an improvement, but only then. Time will prove me correct or not.

If we do win one of the next two fixtures, I will adjust my view accordingly.

Comment

Despite my obvious concerns as stated above, I actually think we will be ok this year. The reason being there are certainly three worse teams than us in this league, possibly even more than three. Exampled by West Brom, Palace, burnley and Sunderland. Also not sure Leicester or stoke are better, maybe just a little better organised.

Comment

Working...
                        X