Current position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stanistheman View Post
    The ambition of the club seems to be survival or mid table at best.

Wells & Hugill were both signed before last season kicked off unless Dykes hits yhe ground running QPR will struggle for goals until another competent striker is signed.

Its bad enough having the 3rd worse defence last season possibly weakened , but to head into the season with a much weakened attack is suicidal.

The season kicks off in 3 days time. Other sides that were lower than us last season have strengthened their squads including Stoke Birmingham and Luton.

Nobody should be complacent and think there are 3 worse sides than QPR.
    Let’s also not forget we have spent around £5 million On Dykes , Dickie and Amos and are making it clear we are looking for more . What other clubs are spending like that in the championship ?

Comment

[QUOTE=Stainrod;n2542897]

Let’s also not forget we have spent around £5 million On Dykes , Dickie and Amos and are making it clear we are looking for more . What other clubs are spending like that in the championship ?[/QUOTE

Yes, the window closed before the season began. However, the previous season we left it until the window closed by which time we lost our opening 4 matches amd had to play catch up.

Yes, but what other clubs have lost around 70% of their attack and goals. Dykes alone wont make that up.

I and others may not be patient enough, but the soundbites coming out of the club do not inspire confidence that 2 more strikers will be joining any time soon.

We have lost Wells, Hugill and Eze. They need to be replaced. No use saying Chair will replace Eze because the 2 of them often started matches last season.

Comment

[QUOTE=stanistheman;n2542898]
        Originally posted by Stainrod View Post

Let’s also not forget we have spent around £5 million On Dykes , Dickie and Amos and are making it clear we are looking for more . What other clubs are spending like that in the championship ?[/QUOTE

Yes, the window closed before the season began. However, the previous season we left it until the window closed by which time we lost our opening 4 matches amd had to play catch up.

Yes, but what other clubs have lost around 70% of their attack and goals. Dykes alone wont make that up.

I and others may not be patient enough, but the soundbites coming out of the club do not inspire confidence that 2 more strikers will be joining any time soon.

We have lost Wells, Hugill and Eze. They need to be replaced. No use saying Chair will replace Eze because the 2 of them often started matches last season.
        The loss of Eze is massive but it’s something we knew we were going to have to deal with at some point and we need to spend the money wisely to compensate for that .I would like to think Dykes ( having watched him for Scotland) will be a decent replacement for Hugil. We as a fan base have to be a bit patient, I’m sure we have offers in for certain targets but we are at the mercy of the bigger clubs that will be finalising their own squads before we know who is available.The positive thing is the club is making it very clear we are looking to bring players in .

Comment

[QUOTE=Stainrod;n2542899]
          Originally posted by stanistheman View Post

The loss of Eze is massive but it’s something we knew we were going to have to deal with at some point and we need to spend the money wisely to compensate for that .I would like to think Dykes ( having watched him for Scotland) will be a decent replacement for Hugil. We as a fan base have to be a bit patient, I’m sure we have offers in for certain targets but we are at the mercy of the bigger clubs that will be finalising their own squads before we know who is available.The positive thing is the club is making it very clear we are looking to bring players in .
          It’s true we knew Eze would be sold , but we hoped that there would be money to spend on the much depleted squad.

The club are making it very clear they are looking to bring in 1 or 2 players and that they have to be in our price range which sounds like bargains from a charity shop! Hardly inspiring fans with confidence about the calibre of player we will get.
          I appreciate that Dykes and Dickie did cost reasonable money, but it seems any more will most likely be loans or free and must be prepared to accept a salary of around £4-6k pw. It can be that they find some good players for that but they will be hard to find.

you are correct that we will just have to be patient (nothing we can do about it anyway), but as I have said before I am getting this out now so as not to be told later it is easy with hindsight when it goes pear shaped.

I wrote about how I thought the seasons and the shape of the club would pan out after relegation and got slated.

Whilst not all of those things have happened (not yet anyway) some of them, or similar, have.

Comment

With that squad I think we’re do well to stay in the division , sheff weds being -12 might save us. Rotherham , Wycombe will be down there with us. Team is definitely weaker than last season. Need Warburton to pull a miracle out again and keep us up.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Rickson View Post
              With that squad I think we’re do well to stay in the division , sheff weds being -12 might save us. Rotherham , Wycombe will be down there with us. Team is definitely weaker than last season. Need Warburton to pull a miracle out again and keep us up.
              The squad as it stands is certainly weaker than what we had last season,beating in mind Bright and Ryan will almost certainly leave as well.
              BUT the league this season is weaker and we will bring in more players .
              I don't agree that a miracle is needed for us to stay up,I think we will be ok and while wont finish as high as last season we should stay up comfortably enough.
              predictpredwith present team to finish around 17th position

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel R's View Post

The squad as it stands is certainly weaker than what we had last season,beating in mind Bright and Ryan will almost certainly leave as well.
                BUT the league this season is weaker and we will bring in more players .
                I don't agree that a miracle is needed for us to stay up,I think we will be ok and while wont finish as high as last season we should stay up comfortably enough.
                predictpredwith present team to finish around 17th position
                Yea your right Rebs think me saying a miracle needed is going over the top Abit. And as u said players will be added . I just feel the consistent cutting backs across the club will eventually See us drop down. I know we need to be sustainable in these tough times but can only see this going 1 way eventually without some investment

Comment

Originally posted by QPR Rickson View Post

Yea your right Rebs think me saying a miracle needed is going over the top Abit. And as u said players will be added . I just feel the consistent cutting backs across the club will eventually See us drop down. I know we need to be sustainable in these tough times but can only see this going 1 way eventually without some investment
                  You could be right about the constant cutting back eventually ending 1 way down as it did in 2000/01. And as I said it was likely to in 2016. We had a chance to invest back then to get back up as Burnley did, but for varying reasons didn't and eventually wasted the chance we had with the parachute payments.

Yes, the club still ​​​ wants 2 or 3 new signings , but they are not certain to happen. We just have to hope they do and that they are good signings.

Comment

I stand to be corrected but didn’t the transferWindow close before the start of last season , meaning everyone got there business done in good time and were ready .to go . The virus and late start to the season has changed that meaning we still have another 3 weeks left to do business.
                    Spot on. All is not lost.
                    QPR
                    Best team in the world
                    Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post

Spot on. All is not lost.
                      It’s as if some fans want the club to fail so they can say I told you so .The club have just brought in their record transfer fee , have signed 4 players and are actively looking for more .We all know we are a bit short , squad wise right now but would it make more sense to see where we are when the window closes and then make judgments.

Comment

I've said all along that we will not complete our squad until the last days of the window. That's when the vast amount of players available will be in our budget. So many clubs will want their fringe players off the books as all will need to make cutbacks.

It is my hope that we'll finish 10-13th at around 65 points. But I would not rule out 55 points but I am not expecting relegation. I'm really not sure why fans are thinking that way? Perhaps, with the current squad but surely everyone accepts there will be more players in by transfer end?

The owners will not want the club in L1 but do not want to throw silly money at it in an attempt to compete with clubs with premiership parachute money. I'm very confident the funding will be there to guarantee we'll be playing championship football 21/22. Over the next few years mid table finishes is very much success until a balanced squad can be built.

Comment

It’s as if some fans want the club to fail so they can say I told you so .The club have just brought in their record transfer fee , have signed 4 players and are actively looking for more .We all know we are a bit short , squad wise right now but would it make more sense to see where we are when the window closes and then make judgments.
                          I agree with you. Players like Thomas and Smyth may very turn out to successful contributions to the team if we give them time. With Ben Watson hopefully coming in and a striker to partner Dykes, I feel we definetly can surprise a few.
                          QPR
                          Best team in the world
                          Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                            I've said all along that we will not complete our squad until the last days of the window. That's when the vast amount of players available will be in our budget. So many clubs will want their fringe players off the books as all will need to make cutbacks.

It is my hope that we'll finish 10-13th at around 65 points. But I would not rule out 55 points but I am not expecting relegation. I'm really not sure why fans are thinking that way? Perhaps, with the current squad but surely everyone accepts there will be more players in by transfer end?

The owners will not want the club in L1 but do not want to throw silly money at it in an attempt to compete with clubs with premiership parachute money. I'm very confident the funding will be there to guarantee we'll be playing championship football 21/22. Over the next few years mid table finishes is very much success until a balanced squad can be built.
                            I too am puzzled by all this talk of relegation, sure we may have a weaker squad at the moment than last year, but surely we are more than capable of staying up.
                            I have put my usual top 6 finish bet on.

Comment

Originally posted by SheepRanger View Post
                              The owners will not want the club in L1.
                              Possibly step in in January with some of the Eze money, if things aren't looking too great?

Comment

Originally posted by Undecided View Post

Possibly step in in January with some of the Eze money, if things aren't looking too great?
                                Or the next 3 weeks that we still have to bring some more in .

Comment

Working...
                                X