The Positives and the negatives, one day later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Positives and the negatives, one day later

So there will be people who don't see any positives and that's absolutely understandable, yesterday wasn't much to shout about (except getting a loud complaint from the neighbour upon celebrating our goal), so I'm gonne try and be as neutral as possible.

For the first 20 minutes we looked very solid, nothing spectacular but we didn't give them space to create chances and their only shot must have been from 30 yards out or something. On the flip side, we lacked attacking intent and seemed comfortable perhaps waiting out until half time to nick a goal before we head in (a very dangerous game). As soon as henry made that awful mistake and we conceded, we looked lazy, incapable of moving the ball properly and nervous, not helped by the poor passing of Dunne and Barton. Playing what looked like a 4141 with kranjcar switching occasionally with fer and Henry 'shielding' the defence (poorly). Their second goal was really inevitable and came from a poor error from Vargas but I feel Dunne and Hill should have been better in their movement, with hill too far up leaving Dunne moving to cover him and opening space for Walters in the middle. Looking from that point on, we started to move forward, and got our reward with a good team goal brought about by our MOTM Leroy Fer. Moving him into the middle gave us a level of defensive solidity and this was highlighted by him making more tackles than any stoke player and only barton making more tackles than him. Going into the second half with Shawcross injured and momentum behind us, I felt we could go on to win it (a la Leicester at home).

The second half was quite interesting for a few reasons as it highlighted a few interesting points. We looked better in that second half but still not great, never really looked like scoring much. we had four shots in the second half from inside the box and should have had one more if zamora actually made contact with that header, and for the first time this season, we actually had chances in the 6 yard box. Probably the only two notable chances were the Genius overhead kick and the Barton free kick. We never looked to penetrate, rather we wanted to shoot from outside. The reasons for this are that Austin isn't a through ball striker. He doesn't tend to try and beat the offside trap and our players never look to play that pass anyway. People will say that Vargas should play up front so he can do that, but it would be useless if none of our players try and play him through. My concern is why our players don't actually bother looking out wide to pass and try and get a cross in. I think this will be solved once we bring in a new left sided player or bring back phillips to the side.

I don't think the third goal highlighted anything new really, 3 goals scored in the 90+ period in our last 5 league games have cost us.

How I see us moving up this season is simple, play an actual 433. Not a 433 that becomes a 451 because we aren't fast enough in the middle for that. Play a simple 433 with Vargas, Austin and a lw at the top, fer, Barton and Sandro in the middle, and the regular defence but with caulker instead of Dunne (for passing purposes) and we will see improvements. Right now, it isn't looking great and there were more negatives from yesterday than positives for sure. But going forward, we can succeed.
    "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Sorry no poitives .We lost away again
    Football played the Charlie Ferris way

Comment

Originally posted by superhoop67 View Post
      Sorry no poitives .We lost away again
      I never said there were poitives, I said there were very few positives.
      "What stats allow you to do is not take things at face value. The idea that I trust my eyes more than the stats, I just don't buy that because I've seen magicians pull rabbits out of hats and I know I just know that rabbit's not in there." - Billy Beane

Comment

I'm struggling to find anything positive to be honest. Perhaps it wasn't as abject as say, games at West Ham or Everton, but we were still well beaten by a really ordinary team that barely broke sweat. I'm baffled how we can be this far into season and still play like a bunch of strangers!? How come after a two week break we played opening 30 mins completely clueless about who was doing what and making kamikaze passes to players who were not expecting the ball? Ridiculous how an old blunderbuss like Walters can completely unsettle us just by running about too.

Comment

Very interesting analysis from yesterday. Pretty much agree with most of it: Harry's once-again defensive strategy, the play of individual players, and the reason for the final result. Have we ever "successfully" packed it in this season versus playing a more aggressive squad and game of soccer? Krancjar scored yesterday (a tap in), but like most of the team (Charlie, Bobby, Barton, Dunne, Hill) is without pace, which makes controlling the ball, scoring goals, and winning games at this level VERY difficult. Moving forward, would change that -- completely. The lineup, given our current team and based on a 4-4-2:

Green
          Isla Onouha Dunne/Caulker Yun
          Vargas Fer Sandro Hoilett/Phillips/New Transfer
          Austin Zarate

Subs: McCarthy Dunne/Caulker Hill Barton Zamora Hoilett/Phillips Taarabt

Comment

One Positive...as bad as we have been away from home we are still in a mini League of 8 teams..we are not cut adrift..we have to keep the faith that we can turn it around...amazing what a couple of back to back results could do..we have to keep going..

Comment

Originally posted by Abseits View Post
              I'm struggling to find anything positive to be honest. Perhaps it wasn't as abject as say, games at West Ham or Everton, but we were still well beaten by a really ordinary team that barely broke sweat. I'm baffled how we can be this far into season and still play like a bunch of strangers!? How come after a two week break we played opening 30 mins completely clueless about who was doing what and making kamikaze passes to players who were not expecting the ball? Ridiculous how an old blunderbuss like Walters can completely unsettle us just by running about too.
              I think walters doing well shocked me the most, still wondering why we didn't play Caulker ahead of Dunne, probably would have dealt with him better and wouldn't be as poor on the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by 3London View Post
                One Positive...as bad as we have been away from home we are still in a mini League of 8 teams..we are not cut adrift..we have to keep the faith that we can turn it around...amazing what a couple of back to back results could do..we have to keep going..

careful mate, you are starting to sound more positive than me.

Comment

This. The only positive is that everyone, bar Sunderland, lost. Pure luck. We totally deserve to have been cut adrift, mind. Perhaps Fer being played in the middle second half is a tiny positive... But bet your bottom dollar he'll be back on the wing against Soton.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                    This. The only positive is that everyone, bar Sunderland, lost. Pure luck. We totally deserve to have been cut adrift, mind. Perhaps Fer being played in the middle second half is a tiny positive... But bet your bottom dollar he'll be back on the wing against Soton.
                    No he won't. Harry can't be that stupid.

Comment

Can you really see a Harry side putting back to back wins together?

Comment

Originally posted by Midgeyboy View Post
                        Can you really see a Harry side putting back to back wins together?
                        Not really at the moment it is difficult to see the team put together back to back halfs ..it seems we need to go a goal or a couple of goals down before we start to play..
                        happened at arsenal , southampton , etc etc.

but whilst we are playing badly its the table that counts and the table say that we are still in the mix with 7 other teams...villa and hull seem to be playing as badly if not worse than us...

Comment

No real positives. Stoke were VERY BAD and we still slumped to defeat.

Fer played well, showed he's got a nice range of passing and alongside better players will do well. Onuoha looked alright.

That's about the only positives I can take tbh.

Comment

I think Hoilett played quite well when he came on. I think he played behind the striker. Thats a position were he should have been allowed to play on a more frequent basis.

Another positive; Fer showed once and for all that he is a Central midfielder.
                            QPR
                            Best team in the world
                            Sort of

Comment

Not really at the moment it is difficult to see the team put together back to back halfs ..it seems we need to go a goal or a couple of goals down before we start to play..
                              happened at arsenal , southampton , etc etc.

but whilst we are playing badly its the table that counts and the table say that we are still in the mix with 7 other teams...villa and hull seem to be playing as badly if not worse than us...
                              Agree.
                              It`s starting to have that same feeling as the Hughes season, go a goal or 2 down before we change things around and look a lot better for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X