Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Timmy the Doc View Post
    RIP Jo Cox. Together we are stronger.
    I was hoping this wouldn't happen - I'm no Labour supporter but Jo appeared to be a devoted MP and mother. To politicise this senseless murder is the lowest of the low - you should be utterly ashamed of that comment.
    "Ever since you were born I always knew you were a bender!"
    The Last Airbender - M Night Shyamalan - 2010

Comment

• Originally posted by Cardiff Ranger View Post
      I was hoping this wouldn't happen - I'm no Labour supporter but Jo appeared to be a devoted MP and mother. To politicise this senseless murder is the lowest of the low - you should be utterly ashamed of that comment.
      I think the best way to respond to the comment was to ignore it as most of us have. I am impressed with the way most posters have obviously out of respect for Jo Cox not posted here today.

Comment

• Yes jmelanie, you're right, I shouldn't have bitten. I'll leave it there.
        "Ever since you were born I always knew you were a bender!"
        The Last Airbender - M Night Shyamalan - 2010

Comment

• I think you were right to say what you said mate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hubble View Post
            I think you were right to say what you said mate.
            Which poster was right to say what they said?

Comment

• Originally posted by gaza09 View Post
              Pretty low to try and make political gain from a senseless murder
              Agreed...however, if that poor woman had been murdered by someone with a black face I can guarantee that this thread would have come alive with 'political gain'....

Comment

• I've only heard wee bits about this murder of cox , apparently she put foreigners first and a cry of Britain first was allegedly shouted ?
                Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

• I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the referendum isn't legally binding meaning the goverment can ignore the results. Just thought you should all know. Also, if a decision is made to leave, then it will be at least another four years before it actually happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe90 View Post
                    I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but the referendum isn't legally binding meaning the goverment can ignore the results. Just thought you should all know. Also, if a decision is made to leave, then it will be at least another four years before it actually happens.
                    I think the maximum time is 2 years and it is very unlikely the government will ignore the decision of the people.

Comment

• Originally posted by jmelanie View Post
                      I think the maximum time is 2 years and it is very unlikely the government will ignore the decision of the people.
                      I understand it is 2 years as well, with regards to to MP's ignoring a successful out vote, blimey, that might cause the odd ruction.
                      I have supported Rangers for 55 seasons, since March 1969.

Comment

This is the point, we're not making the decision, it's advisory. There is no legal mandate for the results of the election to be carried forward by parliament and as it's a cross party issue where exactly will the pressure come from to enact the result? Additionally, those campaigning to leave, should they be successful, will not be in position to enforce any of the brexit arguments, so I'm not really sure what people think will actually come of this.

This is a terrible political move that has proved to be extremely divisive, has entrenched toxic campaigning and will lead to massive public dissent. No good will come of this.

Comment

This is the point, we're not making the decision, it's advisory. There is no legal mandate for the results of the election to be carried forward by parliament and as it's a cross party issue where exactly will the pressure come from to enact the result? Additionally, those campaigning to leave, should they be successful, will not be in position to enforce any of the brexit arguments, so I'm not really sure what people think will actually come of this.

This is a terrible political move that has proved to be extremely divisive, has entrenched toxic campaigning and will lead to massive public dissent. No good will come of this.
                          Most of the labour party did not want us to join the common market originally. However the people voted for it in a referendum. I do not recall any discussions on not going forward with the decision of the referendum after the vote.

Comment

• Here is an article regarding this matter:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/green-...-brexit-2016-6

I think the most important paragraph is the last where former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said that he would not support a motion to ignore the will of the public, in spite of his strong pro-EU convictions. I believe most MPs would agree with this including the Prime Minister.

Comment

Here is an article regarding this matter:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/green-...-brexit-2016-6

I think the most important paragraph is the last where former Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said that he would not support a motion to ignore the will of the public, in spite of his strong pro-EU convictions. I believe most MPs would agree with this including the Prime Minister.
                              Thanks for the link, good read. In my opinion I can see the goverment not following through. Nick Clegg is famous for NOT doing what he said he would, so I don't trust what he says, plus, that's just one MP, I wonder how others would feel? Is Nigel Farage even an MP? Do you not think this referendum is ridiculous?

Comment

Thanks for the link, good read. In my opinion I can see the goverment not following through. Nick Clegg is famous for NOT doing what he said he would, so I don't trust what he says, plus, that's just one MP, I wonder how others would feel? Is Nigel Farage even an MP? Do you not think this referendum is ridiculous?
                                No I don't because I do not believe the government will dismiss a referendum they called for. We are not Ireland where if we vote against something, we have to vote again until we agree. If the government were to ignore it, I believe this would cause chaos in the United Kingdom, which would be far worse than either a vote to stay in or leave.

Comment

Working...
                                X