the old terraced loft!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hammer View Post
    danny h (had basement up bush green??) knew him well and his mate tony d.i know roy and jason rowlands both west ham boys and good boxers back in the day always wore claret &blue in the ring.they are very good pals of 1 of my best west ham mates.i used to go and watch them fight alot.jason up to recently was a trainer down the pea**** gym canning town.

st aidens-you must now remember the abrahart brothers rob & martin? good little boxers they were.watched a few amateur shows there years ago.think my old pal from sawley rd tony stredder trained there for awhile.
    i used to work with the abraharts dad.he used to come to work with black eyes after training his boys.oldest was about ten then.he could have a row too.
    elly was a top boy down rangers over the years.spilt some blood for the cause thats for sure.i remmeber chrissy h. coming in roebuck in chiswick once and asking me who the hardest geezer in there was.2 mins later and its gone mental.
    anyone remember the firm called bush?

Comment

Memories Of The Lower Loft Terraced!!

Having, Seen a thread on here about the fan who shouted "shoot" at certain players, what memories do you have of the terracing behind the goal??

I do remember pretty early on, must have been 81 or 82 the knees up mother brown, where every steamed to the front (sure another song was sang, but cannot remember). Do remember away fans did sneak in, Villa I seem to remember being a bit hairy at the back. I used to be right at the back most fo the time and not seeing too much of the game.

Any memories??
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

For me it was always about the "surge". My dad used to take me as a young kid, we'd always go to the same barrier to the left of the goal early and that was "our spot". When we scored (or thought we'd scored) i would get picked up by the crowd and normally end up what seemed like miles away..but i was never scared..everyone would look after me and i'd get passed back to my dad
        Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

Looking back it was pretty dangerous. Many would often stand and lean on the bars, by time you were pushed from behind you would squash right up to it:cry:
          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

My main memory was sixth round of the FA Cup when Clive Allen scored. I was a kid and my mother had banned my elder brother from taking me to the Loft (meant to be SAR).
            My brother had had his front teeth knocked out so had to wear this false plate and when Allen scored and raced up to the other end to taunt the Palace fans, he got so over excited jumping about he lost his teeth. We both had to scrabble around on the floor - everyone standing in those days - looking for the damned things while all the other fans were going absolutely delirious. Apart from the teeth hunting think that was the most insanely happy I've ever been inside a football ground....

Comment

Another memory..ish?

Does this ring true?

My mums tells a story of when she put the tv on and qpr were playing liverpool and my brother was somewhere other than the loft? Appara you could walk between stands..and he (not really being into football) had gone for a wander and was spotted miles away from my dad munching on some food in a different stand? About 30 years ago...could you walk between stands??
              Running the London Marathon for the Down's Syndrome Association....

Visit my charity page here

Comment

I remember......

in the early 90's being in the lower loft against Ispwich with a Man U mate of mine. I'd managed to entice him to LR with tales of free flowing football with Sir Les in his pomp. A Hooped Hero went through and we all thought we'd scored or actually did I can't be completely sure.

Anyway, whilst jumping around like a lunatic I brushed against my mate who was poker faced and rooted to the spot and knocked his new glasses off. He was desperately trying to retrieve them amongst scores of deleirious R's fans whilst I was being jossled and mauled in all diferent directions........

Corking days and by the way my mates glasses looked like Capt Mainwairing's when he finally did get them back.....

Can't remember if the game ended 0-0 or 1-1, think the game was pretty dull and I don't know if it was the crap fayre on offer or the fact that his glasses got mullered but my mate never accompanied me to LR ever again!!

Comment

Running you lot when we said hello from the Paddock.And watching youlot surge up and down to that nelly the elephant song.
                  Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by ScottJones View Post
                    Another memory..ish?

Does this ring true?

My mums tells a story of when she put the tv on and qpr were playing liverpool and my brother was somewhere other than the loft? Appara you could walk between stands..and he (not really being into football) had gone for a wander and was spotted miles away from my dad munching on some food in a different stand? About 30 years ago...could you walk between stands??

You could walk from the loft up behind sar and into the school end.
                    They seek him here.................

Comment

• just remembered we did this before

Comment

• Have had a horrible cramped experience at Colchester a few years ago, I can't think of anything worse - when it comes to football - than a terrace at the Loft.

And it won't happen anyway - too many worries about a repeat of Hillsborough

Comment

• its

thers a special kind of exitement associated with being young and enjoying a goal being scored,then everyone jumping up and down in mass hysteria

Comment

• Turn the paddocks, lower loft and the lower school end into safe standing and bingo, atmosphere will return and the need to increase capacity will be gone, for a while anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by pc1401 View Post
                              Well i always thought Quadrophenia was about mods not skinheads maybe it was a different version i saw
                              It is.

The "mod" (Small Faces/Who element) morphed in the late 60's and split into a number of sub cultures. Some became suedeheads - heavily into ska/reggae, dancehall and dub - nice fitted Ben Sherman's, Fred Perry and Crombie & Harrington coats continued into the suedehead look - they later again morphed into the "harder" skinhead look with the cherry DM's and braces which was misappropriated by the NF polluting the movement.

The other main subculture devolving from mod was the Soul Boy, looser clothers, maintaining a love of Motown/Chess and Northern Soul which again morphed into the casual movement which is still with us today, again misappropriated by the hooligan element. The original mod look made a couple of comebacks ('79 - Weller, Nine Below Zero, Secret Affair etc) and again with Blur and the look from Modern Life is Rubbish in 1993 which has persisted in bits through the present day.

Comment

• Originally posted by factamondo View Post
                                remember as a 12 year old in 76 when we beat leeds 2-0 to become champions of england for three days......packed in like sardines but memories i shall cherish forever!
                                Around that time, as a 12 year old in '72/3.... I remember always going to getting to the bar (the one that stopped the crowds from falling down the terraces, so that I could see the match), and whenever we scored the crowd surged forward... me and my mate always had to get under the bar smartish, or have it crushing against our chests so that you could'nt breathe.... remember being very scared once as I thought I was going to peg it!!!!..... I'm not convinced that I want to give up my 'luxury' seat in SAR !!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X