Wigan's miracle last season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
    And he could up date it now, maybe use chilli sauce to do the colouring in and smear a bit of doner meat round the edges - real classy like
    Give him some pric-stick and he could stick some different coloured sand to it and maybe some shells that he finds on the beach to go with his picture of him and his friends from the local primary school playing in the sea.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed the Ball View Post
      Wigan's last 12 games last season, they were dead and buried. Note it started with a defeat to Swansea.

27 3 March 2012 Wigan Athletic 0 – 2 Swansea City
      28 11 March 2012 Norwich 1 – 1 Wigan Athletic
      29 17 March 2012 Wigan Athletic 1 – 1 West Bromwich Albion
      30 24 March 2012 Liverpool 1 – 2 Wigan Athletic
      31 31 March 2012 Wigan Athletic 2 – 0 Stoke City
      32 7 April 2012 Chelsea 2 – 1 Wigan Athletic
      33 11 April 2012 Wigan Athletic 1 – 0 Manchester United
      34 16 April 2012 Arsenal 1 – 2 Wigan Athletic
      35 21 April 2012 Fulham 2 – 1 Wigan Athletic
      36 28 April 2012 Wigan Athletic 4 – 0 Newcastle United
      37 7 May 2012 Blackburn Rovers 0 – 1 Wigan Athletic
      38 13 May 2012 Wigan Athletic 3 – 2 Wolverhampton Wanderers

7 wins / 2 draws / 3 losses = 23 points from 36

We can do it!
      I admire your optimism and its certainly not a lost cause but bear in mind Wigan, unlike us, now have several seasons experience of similar Houdini-esque escapes.

Originally posted by nasser95 View Post
      If they want to jump ship, they still need to prove their worth, it isn't in their interests to have relegation on their CV's
      This.

Originally posted by acricketer View Post
      Pay me 50k a week and you can put what you like on my CV.
      An unrealistic and overly-cynical view IMO. The last thing the majority of pros would want is relegation on their CVs.

Comment

They did also have Victor Moses who played out of his skin during that period.
        Hopefully, Remy can do the same.Granero, Samba, Townsend, Zamora and Granero are key players for us, IMO.
        Itīs all about attacing other teams now. Mayby, we should pair Onuoha with Samba? I feel Hill is too slow as the opposition will be given more space when we attack. Hill is too slow.
        Last edited by Shania; 14-02-2013, 12:36 PM.
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

no.

Comment

no?

Comment

Granted it would be nice to have more points but if I was offered now last seasons run in to stay up against what we have coming up this season without a doubt I prefer what we have coming up.

Only doubt is we always play better against the bigger sides but other then Chelsea not turned over any of them like last season so think we are better off with what we have coming up. Early win on the board is the key after the Man Utd game

Comment

Originally posted by Shania View Post
                They did also have Victor Moses who played out of his skin during that period.
                Hopefully, Remy can do the same.Granero, Samba, Townsend, Zamora and Granero are key players for us, IMO.
                Itīs all about attacing other teams now. Mayby, we should pair Onuoha with Samba? I feel Hill is too slow as the opposition will be given more space when we attack. Hill is too slow.
                I think you may have missed out Hoilett from that list of key players. There is no doubt in my mind that he has the ability to unlock defences and provide/score goals. If he can remain fit and apply himself I think he could really help the cause. If not, he might as well be a paperweight.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo View Post
                  I think you may have missed out Hoilett from that list of key players. There is no doubt in my mind that he has the ability to unlock defences and provide/score goals. If he can remain fit and apply himself I think he could really help the cause. If not, he might as well be a paperweight.
                  Good point, and I hope he will train hard during the Dubai stay to get even fitter. Or dare I say; just fit
                  He seems to be a bit overweight...
                  But really, I dont know what he does wrong in training or on the pitch on matchdays for that matter.
                  Last edited by Shania; 14-02-2013, 09:54 PM.
                  QPR
                  Best team in the world
                  Sort of

Comment

Relegation on their CV's?! Obviously they do not have CV's but more importantly football players employers do not single out players if teams are relegated, they look at what they contributed to the team, thus relegation or champions, it means nothing bar potentially less wages, but again, if the player was considered to be of good stock then their wage demand would be the same or increased even after relegation.

Comment

Yep looks possible

Comment

Originally posted by qprno1fan View Post
                        I think we are overlooking the main difference between Wigan last season and us this. Martinez knew he had nothing to lose and went all out to win games. They stunned Arsenal at the EMirates and also beat United who at the time were reigning Champions. They did this not by playing 1 up front and hoping that they might nick a goal. But by going to the eMirates with three strikers and attacking. Harry wont play like that against the big guns. The fear of losing has appeared to have overided the need to win games. Mackie up front on his own wont win games in this league.
                        It is not beyond the likes of Cesar, Samba, Hill, Fabio, Mbia, Granero, Diakite, Jenas, Townsend, Taarabt, Remy, Zamora and Holiett etc to win half of the remaining fixtures, however, I do agree that they wont win them with a negative one striker formation.

QPR picked up 3 draws against West Ham, Man City and Norwich with a loss at Swansea, by playing with one striker (although Mackie up front alone is not even worth classing him as a striker)but had they selected Bothroyd along side Remy/Mackie/Zamora they might have won 2 or more of those games. West Ham and Norwich were certainly beatable and Southampton proved that if you attack Man City you can beat them.
                        Redknapp has been chancing his luck with his formation since they sneaked the 1-0 win at Chelsea on 2nd Jan. QPR cannot afford to go into the remaining fixtures with such a negative attitude.

Comment

Working...
                        X