Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We appear to have a history of turning good players into average ones. Take a look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We appear to have a history of turning good players into average ones. Take a look

Going back as far as the 1995-96 season when we were relegated from the Prem the first time we've had a knack of signing players from other clubs who were either A - highly rated or B - Proven performers. Only to turn them into average players or sometimes in the case of some figures of Q block hate.

1995 - 96

Signed highly rated Austrlaian midfielder Ned Zelic only for him to decide he doesn't like bumpy pitches and was out injured after playing one game.

Signed a previously prolific yet slightly ageing Mark Hateley who'd scored goals everywhere he'd been. Came to QPR didn't get the service - becomes a hate figure.

1996 - 97

Signed John Spencer prolific scorer, actually this one along with the Gavin Pacock signing worked out well for that season

1997 -98

Mike Sheron need I say more? Prolific scorer the season before with Stoke signs for QPR and struggles to get into double figures. Meanwhile previously prolific Spencer is turned into a goal shy want away striker. The arsenal trio Rose Morrow Harper again two highly rated one with a history of winning trophies. Came to QPR didn't work out.

1998 - 99 - Richard Ord solid leader and commanding cnetre half previously in spell with Sunderland, plays 7 minutes of one pre season friendly, does a cruciate never plays again. I'm not gonna blame the club for Ademole Bankole being poor just the poor scouting network that signed him and Kulscar that year.

1999 - 00 - Probably the only time in recent history the club have signed players and they have exceeded expectations. Dalrington and Wardley turned out to be unbelievable business with the latter signign from Saffron walden Town and scoring double figures from midfield.

2000 - 2001 - Relegation year from the Championship with virtually the same squad that finished 9th the previous season. Leon Knight comes in on loan from Chelsea and doesn't perform.

2001-2002 - Fernando De Orlenas glittering performer for Celtic came to Loftus Road and played I think 90 minutes in his entire QPR career before being released. Dave Mcewan promosing youngster signed from Spurs played one game.

2002 - 2003 and 2003 - 04 - exceptions to the rule superb years for the club

2004 - 2005 - Ditto

2005 - 06 - Dean Sturridge - previously prolific socrer for Wolves etc comes to QPr only contribution was to score two goals which won us the Ibiza Cup. Ian Evatt promising centre half good solid performer everywhere he's been before or since, massive flop at QPR.

2006 - 07 - John Curtis ex Man Utd defender, Ben Sahar highly rated at Chelsea - look what happened.

2007 - 09 - Fitz Hall and Patrick Aygemang hailed as superb signings after strong performances at previous clubs, yet become boo boys for the Loft

2009 -10 - Emanuel ledesma and Daniel Parejo two players who were clearly premier league class yet made to look lightweight and no utilised properly

2010- 11 - Neil Warnock did what he does best got the best out of a limited squad.

2011 -12 - Erm Jason Puncheon cos he's really **** now isn't he? Fredrico Macheda, Shaun Wright Phillips.

2012 -13 - Hoilett, Cisse,Granero,Zamora,Ceasar now it looks like Samba is the next one after his performance saturday.

Perhaps QPR are not destined to have good players we always seem to make them worse.

On your last line for 2012 - Cesar has been immense, great sigiing bar a few games. Samba is a good player - but he needs someone with pace with him IMHO as he isn't that fast. Pairing him with Hill is very dangerous and I think it will leave us exposed against clever managers and pace.
    twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

I agree - Ive had this feeling for a long time

Comment

I think the main issue really is our fans. One or two bad games and everyone (me included in some cases) get on their backs. Like Park, I personally think he's ****, but by getting on his back and booing him off the pitch really isn't going to help.

Comment

Originally posted by kenthoop View Post
          I think the main issue really is our fans. One or two bad games and everyone (me included in some cases) get on their backs. Like Park, I personally think he's ****, but by getting on his back and booing him off the pitch really isn't going to help.
          No - Granero has been average since he joined, as had Park etc. Not the fans fault now, been too long since we played really well...

Comment

I don't recall Patrick Agyemang ever being hailed as a superb signing.

Gelled quickly and well with Buzz & Vine for 8 goals in 6 games (or something like that) then died a death.
            But I only recall comments like "Why are we paying £350k and offering a 4 year contract to a Preston substitute ?" when we signed him.

Comment

Mackie scored more and did it much better after Dave.

But you make some very good points in general......

Comment

The anti-Midas touch of QPR.
                Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

A little bit more support from the supporters would help.
                  To me it seems that QPR have too many supporters who like to boooo.

Comment

Booo !

Comment

sorry I cant agree with a lot of these players being good before joining QPR.

Hateley was clearly injured (failed initial medical and had to wait a few weeks before retaking it) and should not have been signed.
                      Sheron was a hit and miss striker (flopped at Norwich?).
                      Rose Harper and Morrow the 1st two played 2 or 3 games between them and Morrow was always a rated as poor by many Arsenal fans.
                      Curtis was never any good.
                      Same for Agyemang.
                      Hall was ok as a CB in lower leagues, but floped at Southampton and Wigan in the Premiership.
                      When has Ledesma proved to be Premiership level?
                      I'd agree with Parejo not really being given a chance.
                      Sahar has proven that he was a flash in the pan player (where is he now?) who had a couple of decent games in Israel.
                      Macheda is a poor player too who had a couple of decent games and nothing more.
                      Not sure why Ord is included, ssing as how his injury was not really don to QPR turning him into a poor player and why is Samba included in this after 2 games (yes, he should have done better with the 4th goal, but cannot be blamed for the
                      1st 3.

Comment

Originally posted by QPR1976 View Post
                        I don't recall Patrick Agyemang ever being hailed as a superb signing.

Gelled quickly and well with Buzz & Vine for 8 goals in 6 games (or something like that) then died a death.
                        But I only recall comments like "Why are we paying £350k and offering a 4 year contract to a Preston substitute ?" when we signed him.
                        Yes, I recall those type of comments too.

Comment

Its a gypsy curse! Paladini's missus was half romany

Comment

Stan Bowles from Carlisle....he turned out to be $h1t
                            as did Don Givens signed from Luton.....and Dave Thomas from Burnley and Don Masson from Notts County.
                            All these came to QPR and really went downhill from thereon....Only at QPR eh tutututut!!!

Comment

Originally posted by twranger View Post
                              Stan Bowles from Carlisle....he turned out to be $h1t
                              as did Don Givens signed from Luton.....and Dave Thomas from Burnley and Don Masson from Notts County.
                              All these came to QPR and really went downhill from thereon....Only at QPR eh tutututut!!!
                              Yeah that Bowles was sh ite Oh and Dave Thomas one of the greatest I've seen at LR
                              I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Working...
                              X