centre backs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centre backs

So Nelsen goes after the next game. We all love Clint but he is nearly 90 and against a tricky striker like Saurez can be made to look as mobile as a frozen lamp post. We look as if we are letting Ferdinand go to Turkey. And with Bosingwa exiled, Dyer released and talk of Young being off-loaded that only leaves Onouha at right back so no chance of him being moved to centre half. Yet in a recent interview Harry said he recognised we needed a centre half "long term". Long term? We needed him 18 months ago. Just as nobody paid much attention when Nelsen arrived assuming he was just a reserve, maybe we are all missing the obvious here - maybe Ben Haim isn't here to make up the numbers, but will become first choice with Clint. Or to be more precise, the only choice. I just find it baffling. Am happy to admit fans (me especially) don't understand lots of stuff but I don't think I've met a Rangers fan who hasn't been crying out for a centre half for ages. If we don't get someone good to fill Nelsen's massive boots we will have to continue to play with two/ three very defensive midfielders and will then offer nothing going forward. This has major consequences because without freeing up more of the midfield I just can't see us staying up. Huge amounts hinges on signing Ollson or someone of similar calibre. But with Ollson, Livermore and Krancjar I cd see us possibly just doing it.

Maybe Harry will bring Traore back and move Fabio to RB so Onuoha can go CB. But Fabio has been playing well at LB, so probably not.

Plus, I am not sure about either Onuoha or Ben Haim at CB. Neither am I sure of M'Bia if he gets put in that position - they're just not disciplined or good enough against top quality players.

I do find it scary though that Hill is now our captain and lead defender. It is not too long ago when he was being slated on this board for not being good enough (after the Norwich game). Ironically, I actually backed him after that game, I just feel uncomfortable when he is playing against the top teams.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
      So Nelsen goes after the next game. We all love Clint but he is nearly 90 and against a tricky striker like Saurez can be made to look as mobile as a frozen lamp post. We look as if we are letting Ferdinand go to Turkey. And with Bosingwa exiled, Dyer released and talk of Young being off-loaded that only leaves Onouha at right back so no chance of him being moved to centre half. Yet in a recent interview Harry said he recognised we needed a centre half "long term". Long term? We needed him 18 months ago. Just as nobody paid much attention when Nelsen arrived assuming he was just a reserve, maybe we are all missing the obvious here - maybe Ben Haim isn't here to make up the numbers, but will become first choice with Clint. Or to be more precise, the only choice. I just find it baffling. Am happy to admit fans (me especially) don't understand lots of stuff but I don't think I've met a Rangers fan who hasn't been crying out for a centre half for ages. If we don't get someone good to fill Nelsen's massive boots we will have to continue to play with two/ three very defensive midfielders and will then offer nothing going forward. This has major consequences because without freeing up more of the midfield I just can't see us staying up. Huge amounts hinges on signing Ollson or someone of similar calibre. But with Ollson, Livermore and Krancjar I cd see us possibly just doing it.
      Most centre backs struggle against Suarez when he's on form. Clint's fine against players like him provided he has a defensive midfielder or two in front of him. That's the only time he's been caught out playing at CB. And he had no cover from Mbia and Diakite, both of whom can't play with each other (and I doubt we'll see Diakite in a hooped shirt again). Harry learnt that we can't play 442 with our present squad. And he's fixed it, which means we've tightened up at the back, winning game and getting draws with the best premiership defensive record of 2013 (early days, I know.....). You're right to say that the trouble is that we have midfielders who can defend, but none in the side bar Adel who can make things happen further up the pitch. Harry, its clear, is working on this at present.
      Last edited by Rangers77; 23-01-2013, 11:51 PM.

Comment

its a cunning plan,we played no striker v spurs,against city we going to play 4 strikers and no cbs.
        Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

Originally posted by Marshy View Post
          Maybe Harry will bring Traore back and move Fabio to RB so Onuoha can go CB. But Fabio has been playing well at LB, so probably not.

Plus, I am not sure about either Onuoha or Ben Haim at CB. Neither am I sure of M'Bia if he gets put in that position - they're just not disciplined or good enough against top quality players.

I do find it scary though that Hill is now our captain and lead defender. It is not too long ago when he was being slated on this board for not being good enough (after the Norwich game). Ironically, I actually backed him after that game, I just feel uncomfortable when he is playing against the top teams.
          Like Chelsea and Spurs?

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
            Like Chelsea and Spurs?
            Had Nelsen to carry him.

As I said, I defended him before. But when Nelsen is not there and he is the main centre-back, I worry.

Comment

I mentioned in another thread i strongly expect HR may well plan on using Mbia at CB if required. He played there for Marseille for 2 yrs and was i believe voted best CB in the league or something, and HR will have seen him play there while scouting Remy, which he said he did a number of times when at Spurs.

We will obviously push for Olsen who would be first choice, along with Hill we assume now he's Captain, leaving Ben Haim and Mbia back up. I also think that's why he's looking for more CDM options.

Comment

Originally posted by Rangers77 View Post
                Most centre backs struggle against Suarez when he's on form. Clint's fine against players like him provided he has a defensive midfielder or two in front of him. That's the only time he's been caught out playing at CB. And he had no cover from Mbia and Diakite, both of whom can't play with each other (and I doubt we'll see Diakite in a hooped shirt again). Harry learnt that we can't play 442 with our present squad. And he's fixed it, which means we've tightened up at the back, winning game and getting draws with the best premiership defensive record of 2013 (early days, I know.....). The trouble is that we have midfielders who can defend, but none in the side bar Adel who can make things happen further up the pitch. Harry, its clear, is working on this at present.
                I respect your optimism but don't think Harry has fixed it, he has very astutely stuck a finger in the dam - or to be more precise derry and mbia. but having those two leaves us nothing going forward. so yes he has stopped goals being conceded but he has also stopped goals being scored. we need to score considerably more if we are to stay up. furthermore, west ham missed several good chances and we only stopped west brom and spurs scoring with some world class saves. Harry has done brilliantly to stop the rot but I'm not buying this as a formula for survival I'm afraid.

Comment

Had Nelsen to carry him.

As I said, I defended him before. But when Nelsen is not there and he is the main centre-back, I worry.
                  Come on. That's too harsh......

Comment

Had Nelsen to carry him.

I also share some of your concerns regarding Hill being, it would seem, and certain starter every game now, however, tbf to him, he was voted players player, fans player and maybe sponsoir player of the year last season and Nelsen wasnt at the club..... i'm pretty certain Anton ferdinand wasn't carrying him then.

Comment

Or harry intends to play a cover player sitting infront of back 4 which the lad at West ham would be ideal.
                      Chelmsford City the home of Radio

Comment

with just over a week to go, I feel extremely worried that we seem to be struggling to get players in. We've improved our defending in 2013 but also ridden our luck, let's not kid ourselves.
                        We desperately need some quality at the back and up top, in fact everywhere to give ourselves a chance. I thought Livermore's loan was a done deal 2 weeks ago, has the Sandro injury scuppered this. We thought M'Vila was coming, when Remy signed. That's gone wrong. West Brom don't want to lose olsson or Odim.... so not really sure what's going on.
                        Are we going to have sub standard last 24 hours buys, like we have before?

Comment

I respect your optimism but don't think Harry has fixed it, he has very astutely stuck a finger in the dam - or to be more precise derry and mbia. but having those two leaves us nothing going forward. so yes he has stopped goals being conceded but he has also stopped goals being scored. we need to score considerably more if we are to stay up. furthermore, west ham missed several good chances and we only stopped west brom and spurs scoring with some world class saves. Harry has done brilliantly to stop the rot but I'm not buying this as a formula for survival I'm afraid.
                          Good points. Think he's gone a long way to fixing it defensively, but not remotely improved us offensively. So I agree with everything you say. Playing Granero in front of Mbia and Derry with Adel and Holiett on the flanks might offer some solution should no creative midfielder come in. But I'm hoping such midfielders come in.....

Comment

If we're going to stay up, we're going to have to win more. DDWLD is no good to us, even though it is only one loss in 5. We have 15 games left, we have 15 points, and we need a MINIMUM of 21 points more to stay up. So we need at least 7 points from 5 games, so what we really need is DLWLW. Even though it is now two losses in 5, we still got 7 points.

And this is the big problem I see in playing two defensive midfielders each game. Yes, they will tighten up the defence, but at what cost? We need wins, not draws.

Comment

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/arti...r+Championship

Comment

Working...
                              X