My View on the Accrington game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My View on the Accrington game

I went into this game, not over confident, but expecting to win comfortably, and have most of the play. However, this proved not to be the case - and we put in a display, that i can only describe as one of the worst i can remember, especially the first half anyway!

When the line up was announced, i was very happy and confident that we would do well - but how wrong i was!

We started the game, trying to knock the ball about, almost like a training session, except pass after pass was misplaced by most of our players - some who you expect better from.

The Accringtons fans were outstanding! There werent many of them, but they had a huge flag, and were loud for the whole game - from start to finish

The way the game was going, it was hard to see who was the Championship side. They out played us, and passed the ball around us with ease. Whenever we did get the ball, we misplaced passes and always ran into trouble. We were also guilty of a number of long balls which went to nobody, and poor control and first touches.

Accrington hada few chances themselves, and if it wasnt for some decent saves from Heaton - we would have been losing the game.

We did get a few chances, which were either saved or missed, but nothing much at all really - and i just couldnt see where a goal was coming from. When the team went off at half time, i sensed De Ja Vu of the Vauxhall motors game about to happen, but we were let off on this occasion - just! Id have to describe the first half as embarassingly poor. Gorkks is normally one of my favourite players, but i have to say he looked very poor for his standards, and Stewart was all over the place. I didnt even know Agyemang was playing until he got subbed.

The second half, we closed players down a little bit better, and put on a bit more pressure, but considering we had almost a full strength side, and we were playing Accrington at home - we were very very poor.

Accrington had less chances, as the back four looked more solid with Connolly in the centre. We also looked far more creative and dangerous going forward with Tarrabt in the side. However, at times it was like we had 2 attacking midfielders, and NO strikers - as Vine was deep, and Taraabt was similar but to more effect.

We had some chances, and their keeper made a few saves - although Stewart probably should have done better with one particular chance.

I dont remember too much about the first goal, but the cross came in, Hogan controlled well and brilliant kid of lob volleyed over the keeper from the edge of the box. It was an excellent quick piece of thinking and finishing.

this then lead to a more relaxed atmosphere in the ground, and i think it was more relief than anything else as we looked to score again.
    Routledge came on, and looked a class above the rest, causing all sorts of problems and some nice runs. He also went on to score a very good goal.

Accrington did score at the end, which was embarassing really, but very well deserved, and they were very unlucky to go home with nothing. Their fans were superb, and they were far the better side for most of the game.

The most comical part of the game was probably when Routledge played a short corner to ramage who was in his own world, and didnt even realise what was going on as the ball went by him.

Lets hope a couple of new names come in before the deadline and that JM gives them a seeing to - it was a shocking performance and any good side would have thrased us.

My player ratings...

Heaton - 7.5 - made some very good saves, also a few dodgy moments, not helped by the defence

Ramage - 4 - I think there has been improvement in his game, but for me he is simply not good enough on the ball. Hoof after hoof, misplaced passes after another. We could do worse, but hes not a promotion team standard player

Gorkks - 4 - Normally my favourite player, but his passing was all over the place, and looked very out of sorts

Stewart - 3 - Ive stuck up for him a lot, but this performance was like one that we used to know of, in the Rehman days - probably should have scored too

Connolly - 6.5 - Not great at left back, but much more comfortable looking at centre back, and they created a lot less chances when he was at the back

Buzz - 4 - hardly got on the ball, and when he did, he gave the ball away stupidly, a number of times

Legs - 5.5 - Similar to buzz, but got more of the ball and did the odd good pass

Hogan - 7 - Looked one of out better players - with some ncie runs and shots, and scored an excellent goal

Mahon - 5.5 - didnt have lots of the ball, gave it away too much and wasnt his best performance

Vine - 6 - Still not at his best, but looked more lively than Agyemang, and had a couple of decent efforts

Agyemang - no rating - as i only just found out he was playing

Subs -

Taraabt - 7.5 - looked very dangerous when came on, one of our better players

Borrowdale - 6 - Didnt do much wrong, didnt have much to do second half

Routledge - 8 - looked very dangerous and was arguably our biggest threat when he came on, and score an excellent goal
Working...
X