Hughes compares Júlio César to Premier League greats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes compares Júlio César to Premier League greats

Queens Park Rangers boss Mark Hughes has hailed Júlio César by comparing him to some of the all time greatest Premier League goalkeepers.

The 33-year-old has put in a number of strong performances since his move to Loftus Road from Inter Milan this summer.

César saved his best performance for against Arsenal on Saturday, and although his side lost 1-0 to a controversial goal, the Brazil international has been hailed for his heroics.

Mark Hughes believes César is already a great Premier League keeper, despite having only made six appearances.

Hughes said: "He inspires people by his manner and his presence, and his performances as well.

"Over the years I had the pleasure of playing with Peter Schmeichel and Neville Southall and Júlio’s right up there.

"Not just as a keeper, but as a guy and with his mentality in the dressing room, it’s huge for us, a real benefit. He understands what it takes and it drags in people around him.

"I haven’t seen Júlio over the time that I saw Schmeichel, but he’s certainly on a par with the top keepers in the world."

Despite the fact QPR are currently rock bottom of the league, having only picked up three points from a possible 27, César does not regret his move to the club.

"I’m not sorry about my choice to join QPR. I just want to show the supporters the Júlio César who played well for Brazil and Inter Milan. This is my dream," he recently told The Sun.

QPR’s next league game is against Reading, who were also promoted from the Championship last season and occupy the relegation zone.

We need more of him in the team. Am I the only one who notices as well whenever a player is down he always goes to check of they are alright or tells them to get up lol.

Comment

He is top class and we are very very lucky to have him. He is actually a signing that seems to have gone under the radar of most pundits to a degree.... there was a poll recently for best signing, and i think Corzola was 1st, then Van Persie, then ano..... We have signed a keeper in the top 5 in the world imo on a free transfer, who for a keeper is in his prime at 32 and never gets talked about as insanely good business.

Comment

great, we'd have an even worse goal dff without him, how reassuring

Comment

Best goalie in the divison

Comment

Working...
          X