Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hughes' negativity (and some general points)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hughes' negativity (and some general points)

Negativity

Might have been mentioned on here (so apologies if someone else has posted a thread), but Hughes' tactical negativity is concerning me. Yes, OK, he's not as bad as Paul Hart in this respect, but his substitutions are always either too late or totally bizarre. Against WBA, it took ages for Hoilett to be introduced, whilst versus West Ham he should have brought Taarabt on much earlier. Yesterday, as soon as Pienaar was sent off, Cisse should have been on the pitch, partnering Zamora up front. It is obvious that neither Zamora nor Cisse are able to play the 'lone man' role up front, so why does he persist in choosing them for this position? Zamora needs a quick striker alongside him to flick the ball on to, whilst Cisse struggles to hold the ball up (although, let's be honest, he struggles to do anything at the moment - but who else do we have?).

General points

The most pleasing aspect of yesterday's performance was the link-up play between Granero, Diakite, Taarabt and Hoilett. These players must start every week, as they are the ones most capable of doing the opposition damage. I sincerely hope that Hughes has finally seen the light regarding the abysmal Wright-Phillips. I couldn't believe that he was getting into the starting line-up ahead of Taarabt and Hoilett. Keep playing these four and they are bound to hit a run of form - but Hughes must stop dropping them randomly for SWP. A settled team is vital.

Unfortunately, we still look really poor defensively. I'm afraid I am still not convinced by Stephane Mbia, who for me looks very clumsy, but perhaps he will improve in a similar way that Taiwo did last season. Nelsen has at times looked very solid, but he does seem to lose concentration on occasions. There has been a lot of debate on here about who is ultimately responsible for our poor defending - the players or the manager? It's a combination of both, but for me Hughes should take the majority of the blame. Clearly, his training methods are not working in this area - and why didn't he sign defenders capable of maintaining their focus for the entire ninety minutes?

We are in a very difficult situation. I have never really rated Hughes as a manager and he has made some questionable tactical decisions over the last eight games. Under other circumstances, I would probably want him to go, but at the moment I don't see a better replacement out there. Redknapp is a ludicrously overrated manager who, for his enormous spending, has only ever won a single trophy. He also takes little interest in the infrastructure of a club, focussing entirely on the first team. QPR desperately needs restructuring from the youth system up to the first team, and I'm not sure Redknapp would deliver.

lots of good points. Don't entirely agree about the blaming MH for the lapses in concentration, average defenders do have lapses, whch is why they're average (if that makes sense)
    Tarbs, Samba, Granero and Hoilett have to start, totally agree, not sure how Faurlin can be utilised.
    Originally posted by The Godfather View Post
    Negativity

Might have been mentioned on here (so apologies if someone else has posted a thread), but Hughes' tactical negativity is concerning me. Yes, OK, he's not as bad as Paul Hart in this respect, but his substitutions are always either too late or totally bizarre. Against WBA, it took ages for Hoilett to be introduced, whilst versus West Ham he should have brought Taarabt on much earlier. Yesterday, as soon as Pienaar was sent off, Cisse should have been on the pitch, partnering Zamora up front. It is obvious that neither Zamora nor Cisse are able to play the 'lone man' role up front, so why does he persist in choosing them for this position? Zamora needs a quick striker alongside him to flick the ball on to, whilst Cisse struggles to hold the ball up (although, let's be honest, he struggles to do anything at the moment - but who else do we have?).

General points

The most pleasing aspect of yesterday's performance was the link-up play between Granero, Diakite, Taarabt and Hoilett. These players must start every week, as they are the ones most capable of doing the opposition damage. I sincerely hope that Hughes has finally seen the light regarding the abysmal Wright-Phillips. I couldn't believe that he was getting into the starting line-up ahead of Taarabt and Hoilett. Keep playing these four and they are bound to hit a run of form - but Hughes must stop dropping them randomly for SWP. A settled team is vital.

Unfortunately, we still look really poor defensively. I'm afraid I am still not convinced by Stephane Mbia, who for me looks very clumsy, but perhaps he will improve in a similar way that Taiwo did last season. Nelsen has at times looked very solid, but he does seem to lose concentration on occasions. There has been a lot of debate on here about who is ultimately responsible for our poor defending - the players or the manager? It's a combination of both, but for me Hughes should take the majority of the blame. Clearly, his training methods are not working in this area - and why didn't he sign defenders capable of maintaining their focus for the entire ninety minutes?

We are in a very difficult situation. I have never really rated Hughes as a manager and he has made some questionable tactical decisions over the last eight games. Under other circumstances, I would probably want him to go, but at the moment I don't see a better replacement out there. Redknapp is a ludicrously overrated manager who, for his enormous spending, has only ever won a single trophy. He also takes little interest in the infrastructure of a club, focussing entirely on the first team. QPR desperately needs restructuring from the youth system up to the first team, and I'm not sure Redknapp would deliver.

Comment

The guy who scored yesterday must have dropped one just before he jumped for the ball as three players ran away from him. Some bodily functions cross all boundaries and have universal impact.

Comment

Another example of Hughes/bench not being professional is when we had the flurry of corners at the end when they were down too ten men. What player did we leave back to defend any break away but Samba a man on a yellow card with a ref who was no doubt itching to even up the numbers. Sometimes as the last man you have to drag the attacker down and kill the move but Samba being on a yellow would have seen him go off. If that had been the case everyone would have been on his back saying he cant control himself etc when the easy thing would have been for Hughes to put him in the box and have Bosingwa or Park covering. It put the lad in an unnecessary no win situation.

And set pieces (including throw ins) why oh why oh why are we so horrendous at them. We should save time when we get a corner or free kick and just give it straight to the keeper for a goal kick. We don’t seem to have any pre arranged plans or organisation when we have an attacking one; I don’t know what it is with us as that could apply to any QPR team for the last 10 years

Comment

Working...
        X