Striking Comparisons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striking Comparisons

First of all thanks to pkloft for introducing me to the Telegraph's stats website. With all information based websites there are some that you take with a pinch of salt (wikipedia) and other that are reputable (broadsheets, BBC, Sky etc) so using the Telegraph's website, which looks to be both accurate and in depth I thought I'd look at some striking stats.

After two games we have had more shots than any other team (32) and have the 2nd highest shots on target record (13). We've scored 2 goals from 45 shots, which is a shot accuracy of just 4.4%. For comparison Cardiff have had 35 shots in total with 11 of those being on target and have scored 5 goals. They have had a shot accuracy of 14.2%. An alternative way to look at it is that when QPR have had a shot on target we've scored 2 from 13 (15.3%) and Cardiff have scored 5 from 11 when the shots have been on target (45%). In other words we are creating chances, taking shots and are getting plenty on target but with little success.

Helguson - After two matches
    Shots off Target: 4
    Shots on Target: 2
    Goals Scored: 1
    Goals per shot accuracy: 16%

Taraabt - After two matches
    Shots off Target: 2
    Shots on Target: 4
    Goals Scored: 0
    Goals per shot accuracy: 0%

Chopra - After two matches
    Shots off Target: 2
    Shots on Target: 5
    Goals Scored: 3
    Goals per shot accuracy: 42.8%

Morrison - After two matches
    Shots off Target: 0
    Shots on Target: 4
    Goals Scored: 3
    Goals per shot accuracy: 75%

Early days of course and the level of opposition that each player played against is different so a comparison is hard to make but Morrison has had 4 shots scored 3, 2 of which against a much fancied Ipswich side. Helguson and Taraabt have shot 12 times only scoring once against sides which people are calling candidates for relegation. I'll make a fairer comparison in a couple of months time but these only stats show that we are taking shots but are just not clinical enough.

The stats on the telegraph website go back to 2007/08 so have two full seasons worth of data and the first couple of games from this season. Below are comparisons between a few of our own strikers and rival strikers in terms of goals per shot accuracy. Do we have clincal strikers are players who waste valuable chances?

Patrick Agyemang's League Record Since 2007/08:
    Appearances: 61
    Total Shots: 53
    Goals Scored: 14
    Goals per shot accuracy: 26.4%

Rowan Vine's League Record Since 2007/08:
    Appearances: 40
    Total Shots: 57
    Goals Scored: 7
    Goals per shot accuracy: 12.2%

Heidar Helguson's League Record for QPR:
    Appearances: 22
    Total Shots: 57
    Goals Scored: 6
    Goals per shot accuracy: 10.5%

Adel Taraabt's League Record for QPR:
    Appearances: 9
    Total Shots: 23
    Goals Scored: 1
    Goals per shot accuracy: 4.3%

For comparison:

Dexter Blackstock's League Record Since 2007/08:
    Appearances: 78
    Total Shots: 108
    Goals Scored: 19
    Goals per shot accuracy: 17.5%

Michael Chopra's League Record Since 2007/08:
    Appearances: 29
    Total Shots: 54
    Goals Scored: 12
    Goals per shot accuracy: 22.2%

Clinton Morrison's League Record Since 2007/08:
    Appearances: 92
    Total Shots: 114
    Goals Scored: 29
    Goals per shot accuracy: 25.4%

These last few stats seem to show that Helguson and Taraabt (our current first choice pairing) have the worst goals per shot accuracy compared with the likes of Vine and Agyemang. Agyemang's record in terms of minutes per goal and goals per shot is the best at the club and although unfancied by most his record in the last few seasons seems to suggest that we should be starting with him especially as we've struggled to score in the league so far.

Interesting reading, thanks Sirpie for the stats.
    Opinions are like A******s, everyone has one, but nobody wants to see the other guy's.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    https://twitter.com/#!/QPRBOB

Comment

Shows, we should go and buy Morrison !!

Good stats
      ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
      THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
        Shows, we should go and buy Morrison !!

Good stats
        should of got him when he was on a free
        Soldier: "im on reconnaissance sir.. im looking for our camouflage expert.. have you seen him?"
        Lovejoy: "No?!"
        Soldier: "GOD DAMNIT THAT GUYS GOOD!"

Please Follow My Twitter

Comment

thanks sirpie ... does show that for all the stick Agyemang is a accurate as Chopra and Morrison at 26%. Also does define the need for a consistent striker with the low conversion rate and ... perhaps... the need for more practice in training to develop accuracy!!
          Remember Gillard!!

Comment

Originally posted by garyqpr4eva View Post
            should of got him when he was on a free
            Yes, and some of us were saying this last July/August before he joined Coventry from Palace.

But interesting reading about Agyemang. Perhaps he should be in the side rather than Helguson or Taarabt (he can play on the LW).

Comment

think tho the prob with agyman is he hardly ever shoots. lots of huff and puff but no boof.

But as you say these stats go back some way. That is why I'm surprised that anyone else should be remotely surprised that our existing scorers are not scoring.

Comment

problem is who can we pick up on a free who has a decent goalscoring record...

they are few and far between at the best of times and its painfully obvious we wont pay the going rate....

Whilst im in no way a big fan of Beckford, the fact that Coventry have put in a very competitive offer for him, linked with Morrison could form a very potent strikeforce at this level

Comment

Morrison wouldn't come after the abuse he got last season.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                    think tho the prob with agyman is he hardly ever shoots. lots of huff and puff but no boof.

But as you say these stats go back some way. That is why I'm surprised that anyone else should be remotely surprised that our existing scorers are not scoring.
                    What amazed me is that Agyemang has less than a shot a game whereas Helguson has almost 3 shots a game. As you said if Agyemang shot more and continued his shooting accuracy he and we would score more.

Comment

[QUOTE=sirpiechucker;107517]First of all thanks to pkloft for introducing me to the Telegraph's stats website.QUOTE]

you're welcome sir

funny that, when i posted it up don't think i got a single reply ;D ;D ;D ;D

Comment

That's brand loyalty for you PK Loft... (but well done anyway)....

Comment

Working...
                        X