Playing with the side/formation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Playing with the side/formation

I'm a believer that the players you have pick the teams best formation, rather than trying to fit players into a formation the manager wants to play.

I think we have been trying to fit square pegs into round holes in some cases, so as a team we've been poor. Let's debate really honestly where we think our players strengths are and determine our best formation.

Let's look at the keepers first: Green has been told or clearly believes we should be playing the ball on the floor from the back. I, as well as 90% on here would agree. Problem is no one seems keen on having the ball & from what I've seen Green takes too long from goal kicks. Surely if the opposition have 2 men splitting 3 of our back line when Green has the ball Green should be dropping the ball to the floor asking 1 of them forwards to come to him for there to be space for Green to then play out to one of the unmarked defenders? Not rocket science. Confidence is the problem here. Cerny & Murphy are not the answer. Hopefully Cesar will show Green how it's done.

Our back line is our our biggest problem. Nelson after 1 game inspires me with more confidence than any other. In fact he is the only one that does inspire me. So we need to buy a new 1 at least very quickly, as we have all been saying for months....So we buy Mbia & loan Carvalho possibly and we have 3 CB's who have or are playing at the top level and can come in and form a decent back 3. Full backs we are poor. Bosingwa seems like the best defensively & gets forward, Traore is the best going forward. So we have some balance on the flanks.

Midfield: Faurlin is our most important player imo. The guy is class. He picks himself in a defensive role as he wins second balls, headers, and his range of passing is at least equal to Taarabt. Park and Diakite are cracking engines who cause oppositions big problems. They can't play together in a 2 man central midfield though as a huge gap is left. So for me they do what they do best and work infront of Faurlin. Hoilett and Taarabt seem like a luxury, both cracking impact subs. Both available to fill an injury or play a cup match. Hoilett could challenge either Bosingwa or Traore's positions I think.

Forwards: Until we can play fluid, confident football on the floor we MUST start Zamora every game. (anyone else notice how the ball came straight back at us last night when we played it long and Zamora had been subbed?) His strength, work rate and hold up play is very good. He will also give the wing backs an aerial option when we attack. It's a tough call but either Cisse or Johnson can play as our most advanced forward. Cisse is more clinical but Johnson and Zamora know each other inside out. Taarabt could also play up top with Zamora if needed.

So, this is my opinion on our best 11 subject to signing 2 CB's. If we don't sign them we need to play 1 CB.....

Cesar

Mbia---------------Carvalho------------------Nelson

Bosingwa------------------------------------------Faurlin------------------------------------------Traore

Diakite---------------------------------Park

Zamora

Cisse

Poxy layout.....;-)

Comment

Working...
    X