Rob Green last night

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob Green last night

Well, there's a goalie lacking in confidence. I couldn't believe how many times he shied away from hitting the ball upfield, electing to do short throws or passes to Ferdinand or Nelsen which inevitably then put them under pressure from Walsall's front line.

Thought he looked shaky, unsure and clearly felt under pressure. How quickly things can change...he was supposedly sound at Wet Spam and after a handful of games with us appears to have clearly deteriorated!

Let's hope this cesar deal comes off. Badly needed!
    come on you r's!

Originally posted by sirduncs View Post
    Well, there's a goalie lacking in confidence. I couldn't believe how many times he shied away from hitting the ball upfield, electing to do short throws or passes to Ferdinand or Nelsen which inevitably then put them under pressure from Walsall's front line.

Thought he looked shaky, unsure and clearly felt under pressure. How quickly things can change...he was supposedly sound at Wet Spam and after a handful of games with us appears to have clearly deteriorated!

Funnily enough I thought he had a very steady game and never looked like getting beaten at all

Comment

Well, there's a goalie lacking in confidence. I couldn't believe how many times he shied away from hitting the ball upfield, electing to do short throws or passes to Ferdinand or Nelsen which inevitably then put them under pressure from Walsall's front line.Thought he looked shaky, unsure and clearly felt under pressure. How quickly things can change...he was supposedly sound at Wet Spam and after a handful of games with us appears to have clearly deteriorated!

Are you for real? I love keepers rolling the ball out short to start playing football. I ****ing hated Paddy just lumping the ball upfield every time , only for their defence to head it straight back to us - just shows a total lack of quality. Looking to play the ball out and keep the ball is the sign of a good keeper, IMO.
      You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post
        Are you for real? I love keepers rolling the ball out short to start playing football. I ****ing hated Paddy just lumping the ball upfield every time , only for their defence to head it straight back to us - just shows a total lack of quality. Looking to play the ball out and keep the ball is the sign of a good keeper, IMO.
        i don't disagree with the rolling the ball out point, and think it shows versatility of play and good building from the back...however it was obvious again and again that when green was looking to do it (which was almost all the time), the defenders often didn't want him to and were suggesting green play it upfield, and there was plenty of space upfield at those points too. my point here was that green was playing it short when the oppo's front line was already putting our defenders under pressure which is why the defence didn't want the short balls and why when he did do it, it instantly hurried the defenders into panic passes which then broke down. as a separate issue it raises the question as to whether ferdinand is confident enough to play it around rather than just hoof it or aimlessly head it away, but that's another matter.

green's body language was interesting...clearly not happy with ferdinand (mind you after last night who -was- happy with ferdinand...) and also acting like a guy under pressure for the most part.

second half green was beaten at his near post and i think their shot went off the post...a save green should have easily made. i don't doubt he's a good keeper, i just hope his confidence will return although if cesar arrives then who knows!
        come on you r's!

Comment

bound to be under pressure when after three or four games he is aware that he will be replaced. Having watched the first three games he does not give me great confidence and there seems to be no communication at all between him and the back four.

Comment

Prefer to see us working from the back, but to the full backs not the centre backs.

Hardly surprising Green's confidence is shot. His replacement was in the ground.
            Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Spot on Matty....

Nothing worse than pointless hoofs losing posession.

Comment

Think the phrase is "retaining possession",not lumping the ball upfield,where it becomes a 50/50!
                I came here to chew gum and kick ass,and I'm all outta gum!

Comment

Originally posted by andythefish View Post
                  Think the phrase is "retaining possession",not lumping the ball upfield,where it becomes a 50/50!
                  that's the theory. in practice however last night it just ended up with the defenders being under immediate pressure resulting in us losing possession in midfield. interestingly green's accuracy on the few occasions he elected to hit the long ball upfield seemed to be reasonably good!
                  come on you r's!

Comment

It was Ferdinand who was not up to it.Kept trying to give the ball back to Green. We were just behind the goal and Green was quite vocal constantly urging the defence to get out.
                    Thought Nelsen had a good game.

Comment

Matty was you there last night ,why I ask I'm looking for a well balanced view on Greens play dld come off his line and comand his area did he try to marshal his defense as these are what I missing

Comment

Originally posted by dcqpr View Post
                        It was Ferdinand who was not up to it.Kept trying to give the ball back to Green. We were just behind the goal and Green was quite vocal constantly urging the defence to get out.
                        Thought Nelsen had a good game.
                        This.

Comment

Originally posted by loftlag View Post
                          Matty was you there last night ,why I ask I'm looking for a well balanced view on Greens play dld come off his line and comand his area did he try to marshal his defense as these are what I missing
                          he wasn't rooted to his line like kenny used to be, no, so at least there is some improvement in that department. i think with more confidence he would command the box better, yes - there were a few instances where he came out to claim the ball well. so no muck-ups that i noticed.

in terms of marshalling the defence yes he was quite vocal in particular with ferdinand who after last night's showing definitely required some berating.

however green also looked edgy and a bit flappy - which again i think is a confidence thing.
                          come on you r's!

Comment

he wasn't rooted to his line like kenny used to be, no, so at least there is some improvement in that department. i think with more confidence he would command the box better, yes - there were a few instances where he came out to claim the ball well. so no muck-ups that i noticed.

in terms of marshalling the defence yes he was quite vocal in particular with ferdinand who after last night's showing definitely required some berating.

however green also looked edgy and a bit flappy - which again i think is a confidence thing.
                            Good summary tbf. As you say, quite commanding, a characteristic Kenny did lack, but you can visibly see Green is low on confidence. I dont think the home fans sarcastic cheering / clapping when he caught the ball helped.
                            Bit nervy coming for a corner IIRC and there was 1 moment the ball was bouncing around on the edge of the 6 yard box and he didnt come and dive on it. Didnt fill me with much confidence tbh, but all in all not too bad really, claimed a majority of things in his area quite well and, as mentioned, was very vocal. Tries playing the ball out also, ratehr than hoofing it, which I like.
                            I generally just think its a huge confidence issue with Green as he undoubtedly has the ability.

One point he came over to collect the ball form the corner in front of A block and he clapped our fans there which got a good response - little things like this I reckon will help his confidence, be good for the fans go get right behind him and build him up abit.
                            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

One point he came over to collect the ball form the corner in front of A block and he clapped our fans there which got a good response - little things like this I reckon will help his confidence, be good for the fans go get right behind him and build him up abit.
                              definitely. more of this please!
                              come on you r's!

Comment

Working...
                              X