Paddy Kenny...did we get enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paddy Kenny...did we get enough?

Was thinking about this today. The reported fee we got for Paddy was £500k. I believe we paid £750k for him (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

When we bought him, he was playing at Sheff Utd in the Championship (a poor championship side) - though had only just come back from a lengthy ban (can't remember if he'd played much at all in fact).

He came in to us, was then part of a Championship winning side where he won player of the season. He then became a Premier League player, and though not the best PL goalkeeper, for the most part I still believe he maintained a pretty decent standard. But then we let him go for less than we paid for him.

I realise he was a couple of years older (though plenty of life left in him in GK terms), and ultimately, you are only worth as much as someone will pay - just thought we should have been able to get more than 500k for him.

Have to look at it from the selling club's side too though. He was Sheff U's first choice keeper; for us, he's an unwanted reserve who we're happy to get rid of. Can't see us haggling for weeks over an amount that wouldn't pay SWP for a month

Comment

Also depends on how long was left on his contract.

Comment

There will be add-ons if Leeds get promoted. Bottom line is that even if we got nothing for Kenny he more than paid his way over his 2 years with the club

Comment

For me at the end of the day QPR certainly got fantastic value out of him so losing 1/4 million compared to what he contributed financially premiership wise is insignificant. Good luck to him at pastures new.

Also, I am anti selling Jamie Mackie to Blackburn (if there is any truth in it)! I know its business but when we knocked on the door in January for Samba they slammed it tight on us. What goes around comes around........... Cheerio Blackburn, enjoy lower league football.

Comment

Agree with comments related to value we got from him - no question on that front - but that's a side point really. Not sure how long was left on his contract - think it was a year.

Comment

Blimey, we got our money's worth mate... plus either sell for that now as they want him, or maybe be stuck with him for 6 months and probably pay more than the difference in wages for him to sit on his ar5e....

Comment

As I said, we got our moneys worth (several times over probably) but that is besides the point. Obviously better to get 500k for him than have him sitting around doing nothing...though there is some considerable time to go before the transfer window closes and I guess I'm just a little surprised we didn't get more interest (and hence a better price). At the end of the day it is what it is - I just felt he should have been worth more than 500k. Maybe I'm alone in that

Comment

Originally posted by Snaxo View Post
                  As I said, we got our moneys worth (several times over probably) but that is besides the point. Obviously better to get 500k for him than have him sitting around doing nothing...though there is some considerable time to go before the transfer window closes and I guess I'm just a little surprised we didn't get more interest (and hence a better price). At the end of the day it is what it is - I just felt he should have been worth more than 500k. Maybe I'm alone in that
                  Possibly but there are other considerations... where would he want to go? He has a track record with NW so was always a probable favourite destination for him. Also byt doing the business early and gettign him off the wage bill, along with the likes of Hall, Buzsaky etc, they may be making funds available to cover other signings, such as Hoilett / Ki, whoever.

Comment

Simple:

1. He was going to be used as a reserve - If he played at all (However better than Cerny)
                    2. We got rid of him for only slightly less after two years...

Got business... We have a better/fitter keeper now IMO

Comment

Originally posted by Del View Post
                      Possibly but there are other considerations... where would he want to go? He has a track record with NW so was always a probable favourite destination for him. Also byt doing the business early and gettign him off the wage bill, along with the likes of Hall, Buzsaky etc, they may be making funds available to cover other signings, such as Hoilett / Ki, whoever.
                      Fair points Del !

Comment

now

now days half a million for a keeper is good buisness
                        Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Unbelievable that a goalkeeper who has had a good season in the top flight would be sold for just half a million, this would not be good business.
                          Banning people is no longer my hobby,
                          but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
                          http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

I think the fee is about right for a goalkeeper of his age.

He has been value for mony whichever way you look at it.

I would rather have him in reserve than Cerny, but it may be that he said he wouldnt be happy to stay as No.2 to Green.

Comment

Don't forget players lose value over time especially as he's now 35, he only really has 2/3 years in him.

I think £500k was a fair price. The best keeper we've ever had in 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X