• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wages in the past?

How much money were the likes of Bowles, Givens etc on really?:=):
    QPR
    Best team in the world
    Sort of

The maximum of £20 was broken in 1961 by Haynes at Fulham and he was on a £100pw, but the other journey men players were on far less. By the early to mid 70's players thought they were doing well on £200-300pw.

Bowles could not tell you because both Crewe and then QPR (but not straight away) paid his wages to wife. Gerry Francis tells a great story when invited around to a post training/pre match meal at Bowles place, saw the Bailiffs come in and remove the TV they were watching a mid week race and furniture and they ending up eating the meal sitting on the floor. Bowles then went to Arsenal for the evening game and played a blinder scoring 2 goals as if nothing happened, in fact not a first time experience for him.
    Populus fui meus nomen , tamen meus nomen est non meus nomen

Comment

Leveller you been stalking Tony at Blackbush?

cos I have hehe.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Leveller.
        QPR
        Best team in the world
        Sort of

Comment

Originally posted by SpankwiR View Post
          Leveller you been stalking Tony at Blackbush?

cos I have hehe.
          No but I did taxi up and I did wonder who the groupie was and is he on one on the MB,s now I know who you are.

Comment

Its true that Stans wage was paid to Mrs Bowles but Jim Gregory used to pay him the same again in cash every week according to legend so he was pulling in around 450 a week in mid 70's at a time when the average basic salary for a blue collar worker was approximately £60 a week so x 7.5 now i suppose a basic blue collar salary works out about £600* a week so if Joey = Stan in terms of top wage earner at the club its about x 116

* figures are approximate

Thats a hell of a jump
            its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

SKY high is the cause for the multiple

Comment

I think Bowles used to get a wage which was paid to his mrs, then Jim Gregory would give him betting money every now and then.
                Supporting QPR isn't just about a football team. It's about roots and identity.

Comment

Working...
                X