White City Stadium and SAR in 1928

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• White City Stadium and SAR in 1928

Absolutely love this new site, Britain From Above: 15,000 recovered aerial photos from the 1920s-50s uploaded and launched today. Some great shots of London and its landmarks, but here's the one that really matters.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/i...s%20bush&ref=0

Even better, just found the bloody Loft!

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/i...0Fulham&ref=23
    Last edited by Westbyfleetr; 25-06-2012, 10:13 PM.

Great pictures,makay house or the bok not even built then
    Ooh northern lads love gravy

Comment

Brilliant find, many thanks for this. Absolutely love old pictures like this, fascinated by history. I'm actually just searching through census records from the turn of the last century for my local area.

So addictive.

Comment

thanks fort that great stuff
        Dyslexic so please don't feel the need to correct my spelling mistakes as I really don't give a **** and before you say use spell checker if it is spelt right / wright but not in context spell check is useless

Comment

Just how it looked when we used to go their in the summer holidays

im assuming the buildings to the left of LR were part of the franco-british exibition built in 1908 and demolished in 1936 to make way for the white city estate,Ellerslie-QPR.jpg

found this pictiure on the web

Comment

we

yes wonderfull historic pictures,these were the days when factomondo ruled the shepards bush with his brilliant boxing skills
            Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Great post, intresting pics

Great find.

Have re-posted elsewhere. I hope you dont mind ?!

Thanks
              Last edited by qprbrisbanedivision; 26-06-2012, 02:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepcutHoop View Post
                Brilliant find, many thanks for this. Absolutely love old pictures like this, fascinated by history. I'm actually just searching through census records from the turn of the last century for my local area.

So addictive.
                are you a tax inspector???
                you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by qprted View Post
                  yes wonderfull historic pictures,these were the days when factomondo ruled the shepards bush with his brilliant boxing skills
                  ted ted my grandfather used to bare knuckle fight on sunday afternoons in the bush for enough money to put a meal on the kids table ...no hand outs for doing nothing but merely settling in this great nation of ours and showing little or no respect for its history n customs!

Comment

Originally posted by Factamondo View Post
                    are you a tax inspector???
                    No, just fascinated by the local history. Deepcut has only been around for 150 years-ish (even then just the lock keeper and a couple of other houses, so it's really interesting to look back at the the censuses (censi?) from around 1871 up until the last searchable one in 1911 and see the very beginnings of the place I now live in. I can see who was living in my house back then, and what they did.

I've done the genealogy for a lot of my family too and I'll quite often just follow random branches of the distant family because the stories fascinate me. (which is why there's 2000-odd names in my family tree, most of them very distant!)

Seeing the pictures of Loftus Road etc in 1928 with the Exhibition buildings still standing is fascinating, and you wonder what it would have been like then. The census records show enough details of families, where they were born, what they did for a living, and this gives you a decent picture, but seeing actual images from 84 years ago of a place that I love, is very cool, it's like seeing early shots of your family.

Comment

No, just fascinated by the local history. Deepcut has only been around for 150 years-ish (even then just the lock keeper and a couple of other houses, so it's really interesting to look back at the the censuses (censi?) from around 1871 up until the last searchable one in 1911 and see the very beginnings of the place I now live in. I can see who was living in my house back then, and what they did.

I've done the genealogy for a lot of my family too and I'll quite often just follow random branches of the distant family because the stories fascinate me. (which is why there's 2000-odd names in my family tree, most of them very distant!)

Seeing the pictures of Loftus Road etc in 1928 with the Exhibition buildings still standing is fascinating, and you wonder what it would have been like then. The census records show enough details of families, where they were born, what they did for a living, and this gives you a decent picture, but seeing actual images from 84 years ago of a place that I love, is very cool, it's like seeing early shots of your family.
                      im also fascinated by geneology stuff deeps....im tracing my family tree back to sicilly and america as we have journeyed between them an ireland as well....... great grandfatherfactamondo helped build titanic in belfast as he went there to find work from donegal......he was a pot riveter

Comment

I agree I love this sh*t.

Those images are how my grandad would have seen QPR as a little boy and knowing he was running around those streets being a nuisance makes me proud to think Im doing it 84 years later.

Its a bit like a christian seeing the barn Jesus was born in.

Comment

Originally posted by Factamondo View Post
                          im also fascinated by geneology stuff deeps....im tracing my family tree back to sicilly and america as we have journeyed between them an ireland as well....... great grandfatherfactamondo helped build titanic in belfast as he went there to find work from donegal......he was a pot riveter
                          I hate it when I find a line that goes abroad (I've got relatives that came from or went to America, Australia Canada and India too), because it means more cash needed for the Worldwide Ancestry records!!

Very cool when you find stuff like your great-grandad though. Nothing really interesting in mine (to anyone else at least), although one had a book written about him, and randomly I found a copy on eBay which was cool.

Always amusing when you find things like my great grandmother had her first child a whole 1 month after getting married! It did explain why the first question my grandad was asked when he asked for my Nan's hand, was " Do you have to get married?" Shocking stuff....

Comment

yes

yes well facto does have an amazing history his uncle came from ireland

he was called pat mc facto

his Italian relatives were called modo so thats the reason why hes factomondo

i watched facto box many times hes really gifted his fists are so quick

even once when he had 300 stitches inserted in his face he still carried on fighting and ground out a draw

what a man facto is
                            Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Originally posted by qprted View Post
                              yes well facto does have an amazing history his uncle came from ireland

he was called pat mc facto

his Italian relatives were called modo so thats the reason why hes factomondo

i watched facto box many times hes really gifted his fists are so quick

even once when he had 300 stitches inserted in his face he still carried on fighting and ground out a draw

what a man facto is
                              Why do I imagine this to be a fairly accurate representation of you and Facto?

Comment

Working...
                              X