Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signed Shirt for Sale 2011 - 2012

Hi All,

I was hoping you guys would be able to help and be interested in purchasing a signed shirt from this season just gone. I'm a Newcastle Fan myself so the shirt in my possession holds no great worth to myself. I'll begin by explaining how it came into my possession.

I was on holiday with the wife and kids in Lincolnshire last week and we had programmed a place we wished to visit into the Sat Nav. Needless to say, when we "arrived" at our destination the place in question was nowhere to be seen. We drove round and round for a while until we decided to stop and ask some guy sat outside a holiday cottage if he could help us.

After kindly providing directions our conversation strayed to football and it so happened this gent called Steven (as much as I could get from him) worked for FIFA as a consultant on International/Football law. He regaled stories of working with Sven, Sir Bobby and Mark Hughes amongst others in his career through the game. He showed me pics of him and his son with Man City Players and we spoke about our favourite (and not so favourite) players.

Towards the end of our conversation Steven asked which football club I supported and asked if we knew any QPR fans. He had just been sent a signed shirt in the post that morning and graciously gave it to us when we suggested we could auction it off for a good cause. My wife teaches children to dance in her spare time and one of the fathers of some children whom she teaches saved his Brothers life a few years ago by donating Bone Marrow. Every year this family do something to raise funds for the Anthony Nolan Trust which deals with bone cancers.

As the shirt came so unusually into my possession I felt it would only be right to do something different to the norm with it - after all, I only usually give to the RSPCA if anything at all, so easy come easy go. I'd like to invite offers, potentially as an auction, starting at £100 for the shirt.

I thought this would be the best forum to advertise the shirt as hopefully it would mean something to you guys here. I spoke with the admin who suggested it would be ok to do so. I'm not so hot on working out which signatures are which (there are 23) although I'm sure again that you guys will be able to tell. Some of the players were kind enough to put their squad numbers under their signatures!

The number on the back is 32 with Wright-Phillips. All signatures are on the front. I've also put a link below to a recent the story in the local paper (we live in Ilkeston,Derbyshire) about the gents concerned.

http://www.ilkestonadvertiser.co.uk/...help-1-4592610

My wife spoke to the brother last night and it so transpires their father is a QPR fan which makes the whole chance meeting even more strange!!! Apparently there are a number of QPR fans local to us.

OK, thoughts and opinions welcome, I haven't set any deadline on this yet. Good luck and best wishes for next season.

Steve

PS I'm trying to post a pic but it doesn't want to seem to upload?

Will try and add as a new post on this thread.
    Last edited by Raisingmoneyforcharity; 13-06-2012, 04:23 PM.

PIC of Shirt

Apparently Pic is too big at 213kb. I've added a facebook link to the pic below. If anyone can help either posting the pic or cannot see it, my facebook account is steve parsons-loades.

Thanks

Steve

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater

Comment

Originally posted by Raisingmoneyforcharity View Post
      Apparently Pic is too big at 213kb. I've added a facebook link to the pic below. If anyone can help either posting the pic or cannot see it, my facebook account is steve parsons-loades.

Thanks

Steve

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php...type=1&theater
      Whilst it sounds like a good shirt I have a few concerns

1. Last season wasn't a great season really despite staying up I'd suggest a shirt from the season before to be worth more.

2. Many of the signatures wont be QPR players anymore

3. You've only got 23 signatures so its not the whole squad

4. The shirts been touched by someone who works for the FA which isn't great for us QPR fans as we despise the FA

5. Its not a great shirt design and one of the less popular designs

6. Its third hand

Its with these factors in mind I'd make an offer of £60 as thats what the shirt is worth.

Let me know what you think.

SpankwiR (Four Rooms Top Dealer)

Comment

Hi,

Nice to get an insight from a Rangers Fan and I welcome your feedback, all valid points. From a neutral point of view, my replies.

1. Its always a great season if you stay up! Although I know we at Newcastle are all the better off for the fact we got relegated and managed to get our house in order.

2. Very true, however I don't think that devalues the shirt - otherwise there would never be any point in having previous player signatures (ok, we're not with all due respect talking Maradona, Pele etc but ....)

3. Correct, but still 22 more than a single one. I guess these were the only players possibly around when it was being signed. And from the complete squad, did everyone play? To be honest as I can't work out the signatures other than those with squad numbers below I couldn't tell you if the shirt does or doesn't include such players.

4. The gent apparently works for FIFA - is the dislike for these the same?

5. Not much I can do or say about that one.

6. Third hand... received that morning, been through the post and currently sitting in a box at my house.

As I said, I really welcome your opinion but I'm afraid I couldn't let it go for £60 - don't get me wrong, the shirt means nothing (again no disrespect intended) to me but it does give me the opportunity to do a little bit for charity. I would guess that, if there are this apparent batch of QPR fans local to us then we may as well just auction it on the day.

Besides, your club website offers shirts with one signature for £60 so maybe your money would be more wisely spent there, on a player of your choice, on a new design shirt. That way it'll only be second hand, and tongue in cheek, I could offer you £10 for it the following season if the guy leaves (or £5 the season after when the kit design changes)

Comment

final offer

Comment

Thanks Again, but I must politely decline your offer (maybe none of the other three rooms will work out any better but thats the chance you take).

Comment

I will give you £75 if that's any good

Comment

Hi Bazza,

Apologies for the delayed response, I'v been off work today and my pc at home is knackered. Appreciate your interest and welcome your offer. I have had a pm from someonw who wishes, at the moment anyway, to remain anonymous. The offer exceeds £100 which is fab. To the gent in question, i'm not sure if I'm back at work tomorrow, but will, as requested send you some more pics to the email address provided by Monday at the latest. I'll email you using my works email address and that way it will help to confirm my id etc (there is a rather unflattering profile pic of me on our works website!).

Thanks again

Steve Parsons-Loades

Comment

Working...
                X