Roy Hodgson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roy Hodgson

Quite like the bloke and think the writer of that famous "rant of a QPR fan" had it right (when Hodgson was managing Fulham) when he wrote "I hate that I can't even hate Roy Hodgson". However, Roy is starting to irritate as he comes to resemble a slightly gormless policeman in an Ealing comedy. First his absurd argument about why he left out Rio (too good to leave on the bench apparently, but not too good to leave at home), so now as QPR fans we will somehow have to try to get behind the odious John Terry. And then his remark about how England were in with a chance because all his players were big stars for their clubs. At that I wanted to kick the screen. They were big stars - or to be strictly accurate, big celebrities - at their clubs during the last World Cup too. And they weren't the greatest success. By relying on this argument I fear Roy is just feeding the problem. Rather than boosting their already mamouth egos surely he needs to tell them that if they think they are great players, they have to actually prove it. Many of our "stars" excuse away each World Cup or Euro final fiasco as a blip, or else they blame the manager or the training methods or the ref or the weather (too hot, too cold). The same players who have just been shown up as lacking the technique of those often on a tenth of the salary then hop back into the Premier League bubble and expect to be treated as demi-gods again. I remember as a young child feeling so proud that Gerry Francis was captain of England. Its hard to imagine feeling anything similar if we were to have another captain in the coming years.

The only positive in all of this is I can trot along to my local, watch the game with a few friends and genuinely care very little about the result. Even in the last Euro finals I remember caring passionately. Yes I want England to win this time but if we get beaten 3-0 I expect I will be more amused than angry - just feel totally disengaged to the current national team.

Managers do have to say ceratin things though. I think Roy is an ok appointment TBH and find the media love affair with Harry Redknapp is ridiculous.....he has never wone anything except an FA cup that sent a club into administration by spending way beyond their means (some people call that cheating). It also means no one else would have had a fair chance unless it was Jose or Arsene.

I will be cheering them on and would love to see them do well. He has decided not to pick Rio, which is not the end of the world, we may have someone people we hate in the team, but so do QPR. I think all that is irrelvant to me.

I have genuinly thought for a long time though that our players are simply not good enough and we don't have the depth. It is nothing to do with the players not playing with passion. We have players that are all too similar and not good enough on the ball.
    twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

QUOTE=silvercue;879156]Managers do have to say ceratin things though. I think Roy is an ok appointment TBH and find the media love affair with Harry Redknapp is ridiculous.....he has never wone anything except an FA cup that sent a club into administration by spending way beyond their means (some people call that cheating). It also means no one else would have had a fair chance unless it was Jose or Arsene.

I will be cheering them on and would love to see them do well. He has decided not to pick Rio, which is not the end of the world, we may have someone people we hate in the team, but so do QPR. I think all that is irrelvant to me.

I have genuinly thought for a long time though that our players are simply not good enough and we don't have the depth. It is nothing to do with the players not playing with passion. We have players that are all too similar and not good enough on the ball.[/QUOTE]

I think you have hit the nail on the head with that statement regardless of the manager you cannot make a "silk purse out of a cows ear"

IMO our standard at international level is abysmal it doesnt matter how many friendies you win you have to step up to the plate when it matters

and i for one lost patience a long time ago ...........

Comment

Working...
      X