Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Our defence this year, how good will it be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Our defence this year, how good will it be?

I dont want to be negative, but im actually a bit more concerned about the defence this year, than the strikers. Theres no doubt that last year our defence was excellent - but it appears JM may juggle with it, from what he has been selecting in pre season - and im not sure how good it will be?

Gorkks is excellent, and so is connolly - but looks like Connolly will miss out at centre back due to Fitz Hall, and then unpredictable Ramage at right back. Can we still keep a lot of clean sheets this year?

It would appear that Madge is going to play Connolly at left back, Gorrkks and Hall in the middle and Ramage on the right.

Crazy that a player whose natural position is centre back and is not even left footed is our best option at left full back.

I would still say we have one of the better defences in the Championship though

Comment

Don't like Hall, much rather Stewpeas if Madge insists on Connolly at full back !

Comment

Stewart will give his compulsory 5-6 goals away with his mistakes if he plays, connolly hopefully has improved again and hall just starts to play, Gorkks is solid enough, but we need strength down the right and left for sure
        Gerry Francis the greatest all round player to come from these shores:super_man:

Comment

The problem with the Hall/Gorks Gorks/Connelly partnerships is the weakness in being bombarded from the air, and the lack of pace which will see them drop deeper.

For me in this league and as long as he is concentrating you have to start with Stewart for the pace and arieal ability issue especially against a team like blackpool.

I also want to see Legs at right back, because whilst he might not like it very much judged on last season where he played there he could well be the best right back in the league

Comment

I think it is crazy playing your best centre back as a left back.

We will leak goals with Hall, I just pray that Stewart has a great season..

Comment

i also think we will leak many more goals with Hall. Hall doesnt really make mistakes on the ground, so it goes un noticed - but he doesnt clear his lines like Stewart does, and in this division youve got to be very good in the air

Comment

Hall and Stewart both have good and bad points to their game.

Hall doesn't dominate the air as a 6ft 4 defender should.

Stewart for all his pace, strength and aerial ability far too often gives goals away with some comical errors. Connolly and Gorkss are my preferred choice although they lack pace. This is where good pacey full backs, such as Cole & Glichy often come in handy.

Unfortunately, QPR don't have pacy full backs and playing a right footed centre half at left back is madness, even if he is the best of a bad bunch. The problem is that the board clearly has no interest in paying for some good pacy full backs to replace Ramage and Delaney.

I do agree that Leigertwood is better utilised as a right back and if he wants regular 1st team football this season, that might just be the position to get it.

Comment

Id rather have stewart than hall. But hall will be injured within 2 games anyway so sooner or later its likely i will get my wish.
                  Cant believe it, ive been PWOPER MUGGED ORF...

Comment

Originally posted by baz View Post
                    I also want to see Legs at right back, because whilst he might not like it very much judged on last season where he played there he could well be the best right back in the league
                    Funnist thing ever. Everyone has a pop at Ramage but he's a better defender that Legs. His weakness is his passing, exactly the same as Leigertwood!

Comment

Agree Dazzer, Ramage is a solid defender just not great with the ball at his feet. If we intend to play Mahon in the middle than Ramage should be looking to make short passes through Mahon.

Comment

Ramage is far from a solid defender,I'd rather have zesh rehman.Legs did a better job than ramage has ever done away at Reading last year at rightback.Ramage has crap control,kicks it out every 5 minutes(charlton away) and is easily skinned,last season away at swansea absolutly shocking,looked like a fan had been invited to play right back.Take off those rose tinted glasses,because you are seriously having a laugh!

Comment

Originally posted by LOOPYHOOP View Post
                          Ramage is far from a solid defender,I'd rather have zesh rehman.Legs did a better job than ramage has ever done away at Reading last year at rightback.Ramage has crap control,kicks it out every 5 minutes(charlton away) and is easily skinned,last season away at swansea absolutly shocking,looked like a fan had been invited to play right back.Take off those rose tinted glasses,because you are seriously having a laugh!
                          Obviously you don't get to many games or if you do then I apologise but would recommend staying off the Ale as that can impede your judgement. Glad to see you've based your assesment on two games there... Compelling stats thanks!

Comment

Another thing to note is that last season both Dowie and Sousa deployed negative tactics and team selections i.e Mahon and Leigertwood in CM & 4-5-1, which probably helped the defenders.

In contrast JM likes to play an attacking 4-4-2. Despite all the critics, I thought Delaney did reasonably well defensively, and he will now be relaced by Borrowdale or it seems, a right footed centre half.

For me, I think QPR will concede at least 55 goals next season and probably score around 65.

Comment

Dazzer I went to loads of games actually,and each time found myself bursting blood vessels because of Damage.He is not up the the task,you need to go to specsavers.Also why does nothing you say ever come off with reguards to rumours? I thought you said marshall signing was imminent today?pah....

Comment

Working...
                              X