Building from the back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building from the back

From Brian Clough, through George Graham to Jose Mourinho managers like to build their side from the back. Before you learn to score goals you need to learn to stop conceding goals. You get secure at the back, you can then push up more and the attacking play also improves. Am delighted with the way Hughes is going about his defensive business - the left back is inspired, and so much better than a lazy Wayne Bridge thinking about his 90 large a week, his golf swing and why he hates JT. I really wanted Samba but think Hughes is right to play hard ball and say if we can't have him at a fair price we will get Onouha and hopefully Alex and still have some change left over. Brilliant business.

But what does puzzle me is the timing. I know this prob sounds v short-termist but we face a massive, massive game on Saturday. I'd take a hefty defeat in the cup to Chelsea if we cd guarantee three points now against Wigan. And Wigan is the one team in the Premiership even more goal shy than we are. So while our defence might not be the best, the Fulham match apart it hasn't been torn apart this season.

Therefore, just this week personally I wd have concentrated on more attacking players - in particular on bringing in a midfield player to help Barton, which might create the chances to bring us goals. Maybe he has been doing so v quietly behind the scenes but the impression you get is the club has been focusing on defence.

Anyway, whatever Hughes does he will have my backing as Warnock did. I just have a horrible sick feeling that we will be on here this weekend bemoaning our failure to bring in any attacking players this week after a drab 0-0 draw. Badly hope I'm wrong...

Stainrod

You are right about building from the back, and that is what MH is all about
    He, and his back room team, will stop us losing (8 of last 10) and start winning.

I'm so ****ed off with how negative people on this board are at the moment
    We have a Premiership standard Manager and backroom staff
    We have better standard players than we've had in years with more to come
    We have a Board who are putting their money where their mouth is
    We are playing in one of the best leagues in the world
    We've already beaten Chelsea this year

WTF do people expect? If you want instant success, fark off somewhere else

I've turned up since 1972 and I'm not stopping now - relegation or not.

Comment

Fair points, but I don't think it's as we're actively trying not to bring attacking players in. It's more that Taiwo, Alex and Onuoha are easier deals to tie up. Henrique is apparently pending a work permit, while it seems Zarate and Pienaar are also targets. There's no point rushing to get a substandard player in for the sake of one game.

If Taiwo and Onuoha are in the team against Wigan, we'll stand a better chance of winning than we did at the start of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by ClemQPR View Post
        WTF do people expect? If you want instant success, fark off somewhere else

I've turned up since 1972 and I'm not stopping now - relegation or not.
        Top post mate. These 2 points especially. I don't care how bad the season is I will still renew my season ticket every season (that's not a pop at those who can't afford it before someone misunderstands!) I dunno maybe I'm just a glutton for punishment, but I love my club that much.
        Top Scorers 2018/2019

Nakhi Wells - 8
        Pawel Wszolek - 6
        Luke Freeman - 6
        Matt Smith - 6
        Ebere Eze - 4
        Joel Lynch - 3
        Tomer Hemed - 3
        Toni Leistner - 2
        Massimo Luongo- 2
        Angel Rangel - 2
        Bright Osayi-Samuel - 2
        Geoff Cameron - 1
        Aramide Oteh - 1
        Jake Bidwell - 1
        Jordan Cousins - 1

Summer Transfers 2019

IN

OUT

Comment

Building from the back - spot on.
          When I was playing and then Managing teams i was all about a strong spine and then full backs. A nice sprinkling of flair around that and you are laughing at any level (as long as the players are equivalent to said level)

Building - that's the key word. It's what our club should've been doing for this level from the 2nd week of last May. Due to the clowns at that time we couldn't and therein lies our problem.
          If Sparky gets 5 or 6 players in, blends and settles 'em, beats our rivals and nicks a few unexpected points = safety = minor miracle and huge credit to all in charge at the club. It's a big ask in 2 1/2 weeks of Jan and my bigger concern is ensuring we can bounce back IF the dreaded scenario occurs and ensuring its at 1st time of asking while parachute money still around:

C'mon u Rs
          I need some time in the sunshine, I gotta slow it right down.

Comment

Agree about need to be positive - fans of half a dozen clubs wd bit our arm off to have our owners/ manager/ potential.

Re my point about attacking players - report today we are in for krancjar - wd add massive class to our squad.

Comment

Always said the same. We are nowhere near good enough to just outscore teams. It's all about the defence, then the creative man in the middle, then the finisher. We get all of the above in this window, and we'll be flying.
              Your mum would love me...

Comment

Good thread & some wise words.

Comment

Forwards win you games, defences win you titles.

Comment

I be happy winning 1-0 games, not so much about the performance. Worry about performance next season

Comment

Working...
                    X