Our board need to dig deep!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PeterG View Post
    I wouldnt mind us going down if it meant the club lost some of the idiots that claim to be QPR supporters at the moment
    Have to agree, some of these fans can not possibly remember or, dare I say it, were not so close to the club when we were as we call it.... skint and (properly) ****....
    “You can keep that silly fat w@nker. The lads can't lift him”

Comment

"Third - persuade a lot of good players to join a club that might be in the Championship next year"

And this is the reason I doubt we will land any big names by the end of Jan. We really are in the shi t!

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
        A few problems:

First - find your £50m

Second - persuade a lot of clubs to part with good players instantly

Third - persuade a lot of good players to join a club that might be in the Championship next year

Fourth - get them all tied up before Wigan

Every transfer window seems a panic for us and we are still paying the cost (Vine, etc). If we can't get the right players then maybe we just have to hold our hands up rather than leave us saddled with huge debt and a massive, rubbish squad.

Was speaking to a director of another smallish prem club the other day and he said going down and hoovering up the parachutte payment then back up a much stronger club had actually worked out really well for them. I know it isn't what any of us want but that way need not spell total disaster - massive debts and yet more rubbish player could.
        I'm sure TF and the Bhatia's could invest 50m to see an instant return with the finances that the premier league offer.

Secondly, Alex, Samba, Onouha and Bridge have all been made available by the club or personally want to leave. I think we'd get Spurs to sell Pienaar but Ireland and Mulumbu would be hardwork to sign. Henrique seems almost there and Defoe needs and wants first team football, persuading Spurs to sell him will be hard though, but Harry will have his eye on a striker so may be willing to offload.

If we can persuade Hughes to take the job i can see no reason why we can't persuade the above players, after all, they can insert a relegation clause in their contract if they're wary of the fact you mention. Also the fact Hughes has managed Samba, Onouha, Bridge and Ireland all in the past will be a massive part in signing the above.

I didn't mean them all to be tied up before Wigan, thats impossible. It would be nice to have a couple in before the weekend though.

As for relegation not being a disaster, it would be. Parachute payments are now worth 12m a season for 4 years. All good for teams like Blackpool, Hull etc but not for our ambitious plans. TV money alone to a premiership club is around 40m a season. Our matchday prices would have to take a significant drop and all round matchday revenue would be at a huge loss to a premiership season. Also add to the fact we'd lose our higher calibre of player it would make the following seasons in the championship very very hard to return to the premiership.

We might not get all our targets, but we can't stamp our feet and refuse to pay an extra few quid for a class player. Samba for example, he wants out, Blackburn aren't very well financially so i'm led to believe, give them the 10m for him, he'll be worth an extra 6 points between now and May.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
          I'm sure TF and the Bhatia's could invest 50m to see an instant return with the finances that the premier league offer.

Secondly, Alex, Samba, Onouha and Bridge have all been made available by the club or personally want to leave. I think we'd get Spurs to sell Pienaar but Ireland and Mulumbu would be hardwork to sign. Henrique seems almost there and Defoe needs and wants first team football, persuading Spurs to sell him will be hard though, but Harry will have his eye on a striker so may be willing to offload.

If we can persuade Hughes to take the job i can see no reason why we can't persuade the above players, after all, they can insert a relegation clause in their contract if they're wary of the fact you mention. Also the fact Hughes has managed Samba, Onouha, Bridge and Ireland all in the past will be a massive part in signing the above.

I didn't mean them all to be tied up before Wigan, thats impossible. It would be nice to have a couple in before the weekend though.

As for relegation not being a disaster, it would be. Parachute payments are now worth 12m a season for 4 years. All good for teams like Blackpool, Hull etc but not for our ambitious plans. TV money alone to a premiership club is around 40m a season. Our matchday prices would have to take a significant drop and all round matchday revenue would be at a huge loss to a premiership season. Also add to the fact we'd lose our higher calibre of player it would make the following seasons in the championship very very hard to return to the premiership.

We might not get all our targets, but we can't stamp our feet and refuse to pay an extra few quid for a class player. Samba for example, he wants out, Blackburn aren't very well financially so i'm led to believe, give them the 10m for him, he'll be worth an extra 6 points between now and May.
          And if they hold out for 12m? Another fan v generous with other peoples money...

Comment

I'm sure we'll get at least two of Samba, Bridge, Onuoha and Alex which is probably the bare minimum of what we need right now. Hughes will be working to a pre-agreed budget, as I'm sure he knows what he have at the moment is gash, he's just not daft enough to say it. I think we'll have at least two players in before Wigan (or at least that will be the target). I don't see much point paying over the odds for Samba when the other three can probably be had for the same price combined.

Comment

And if they hold out for 12m? Another fan v generous with other peoples money...
              That's the point i'm making! If we're willing to pay 10 why turn our nose up at paying an extra 2m when he'll make our chances of staying up increase 10 fold?!

If they price him well above his value then yeah i agree but for an extra few mill it has to be done.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattyqpr View Post
                That's the point i'm making! If we're willing to pay 10 why turn our nose up at paying an extra 2m when he'll make our chances of staying up increase 10 fold?!

If they price him well above his value then yeah i agree but for an extra few mill it has to be done.
                My point is that the Blackburn board are jokers but even they will realise we are desperate. Whatever we offer at this stage they will want more. We offer six they will expect eight. we offer eight they will wait for ten. we offer ten and they will wait for 12. they have been quoted as asking 18! Every two million extra we end up paying is prob one other player we will then no longer be able to afford. I dont think Phil Beard is stupid, we should leave him to negotiate.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterG View Post
                  I wouldnt mind us going down if it meant the club lost some of the idiots that claim to be QPR supporters at the moment
                  Every club has them...the ones that jump on the bandwagon when the going is good!

I was fortunate enough to see us play in the PL all those years ago with Sir Les et al.

Cried when we went down and ensured ridicule for many a year from friends and family.

Been as low as low can be but got to stand on the terraces of small clubs like Cheltenham and Cambridge etc.

Had season tickets, last one being 2007/2008 at the start of the "Four Year Plan"

Been a faithful supporter who hopes the good times in football's elite continues. But it doesn't help when ****less people come out with stupid comments. People who for a fact you know don't go often.

I don't go now as funds and having a young family constrict me, as much as I want to be on the stands each and every week, I can't but keep up-to-date, speak to people who go to the game and discuss from their. Not the Soccer Saturday types who as clued up as Paul Merson!

We are all in this together and need to get motivated to staying in this league and I am not wanting to go into another 15 year exile any time soon!
                  http://mobro.co/dantashtic
                  http://twitter.com/danarnie

Comment

My point is that the Blackburn board are jokers but even they will realise we are desperate. Whatever we offer at this stage they will want more. We offer six they will expect eight. we offer eight they will wait for ten. we offer ten and they will wait for 12. they have been quoted as asking 18! Every two million extra we end up paying is prob one other player we will then no longer be able to afford. I dont think Phil Beard is stupid, we should leave him to negotiate.
                    True and i agree with you, my general argument was regarding the bids for Alex. Three bids for Alex is terrible when Chelsea want in the region of 4m, that's what i was getting at.

We need to be realistic in our valuation of players, if the rumours are to be believed we have bid 5m and returned with 6.5-7m for Samba, we all know that will never buy him. Let's get it done quickly, put the money down on the table. If they want stupid money (above 12m), we move on. Arsing around by upping bids by 500k isn't doing us any good.

Comment

Working...
                    X