We must believe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We must believe!

Gentlemen, today we are the underdogs! The newspapers are predicting us to lose. The fans have their doubts. Some of you in this locker room have doubts about todays game. But, I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks. What does matter is how well you play the game and who’s on top when the game ends!

Let me tell you the story of the ‘Miracle on Ice.” Some of you may be familiar with this story. Back in 1980 the US Olympic Men’s Hockey Team pulled off one of the biggest upsets in sports history. They were the underdogs and they captured the gold medals. They were a group of unknown college kids and amateurs who came together as one unit and upset a heavily favored team of Russian professionals.

Their coach, Herb Brooks, told them before the match that if they played the Russians ten times, they might lose nine out of ten, but they weren’t going to lose that one! He said “…One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!...” That day’s game was going to be the one-in-ten that they win. Why? Because they can!

It has happened many times in history, ever since David defeated Goliath. The underdog can win! Why? Because they can! Nothing in life is guaranteed. They aren’t guaranteed a win tonight. The favorite team doesn’t always win. When they relax, when they let their guard down, when they take you for granted, and when you out-play them – they will be defeated! Because they can!

In the infamous words of coach Herb Brooks, “This is your time! Now go out there and take it!”

There is always room for upsets in football.
    Personally, I'm preparing for the worst, which is what the media and bookies expect -- but, it will make it even sweeter if we do upset the apple cart and get a result!
    Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

Originally posted by Insider View Post
      Gentlemen, today we are the underdogs! The newspapers are predicting us to lose. The fans have their doubts. Some of you in this locker room have doubts about todays game. But, I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t matter what everyone else thinks. What does matter is how well you play the game and who’s on top when the game ends!

Let me tell you the story of the ‘Miracle on Ice.” Some of you may be familiar with this story. Back in 1980 the US Olympic Men’s Hockey Team pulled off one of the biggest upsets in sports history. They were the underdogs and they captured the gold medals. They were a group of unknown college kids and amateurs who came together as one unit and upset a heavily favored team of Russian professionals.

Their coach, Herb Brooks, told them before the match that if they played the Russians ten times, they might lose nine out of ten, but they weren’t going to lose that one! He said “…One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight. Tonight, we skate with them. Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!...” That day’s game was going to be the one-in-ten that they win. Why? Because they can!

It has happened many times in history, ever since David defeated Goliath. The underdog can win! Why? Because they can! Nothing in life is guaranteed. They aren’t guaranteed a win tonight. The favorite team doesn’t always win. When they relax, when they let their guard down, when they take you for granted, and when you out-play them – they will be defeated! Because they can!

In the infamous words of coach Herb Brooks, “This is your time! Now go out there and take it!”
      Inspiring stuff Insider. Could you just pop into the dressing room ten minutes before KO today!
      oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

We can "believe" but its far more important for the players to.
        http://twitter.com/#!/superhoops10

Comment

Comment

We we only need is a battling performance. The results does not matter then as they have done their best.
            QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

I did actually see that Hockeymatch on telly back in 1980.

AND yes,miracles do happen.

QPR
              Best team in the world
              Sort of

Comment

Great post to start the day off
                One for all.... and all for one

Comment

Originally posted by Bigears View Post
                  Great post to start the day off
                  It sure is good to read that today.

Comment

Originally posted by oldhoop View Post
                    Inspiring stuff Insider. Could you just pop into the dressing room ten minutes before KO today!
                    I think he did just that!

Comment

Working...
                    X