Defensive Frailties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive Frailties

Lee Dixon just commented on it on Football Focus and it's something I agree with. Despite having a good defensive record on paper last season I felt we always looked vulnerable at the back.

No offense to our back four but they are Championship quality at best. I really thought Warnock would strengthen this area and I'm concerned that he hasn't.

I know he's been on a shoe-string but this would have been my priority.

Hopefully this will be addressed before the end of the transfer window.

Anyway, hope the boys do well today.

Come on you RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.

I suppose being given limited funds dictate if you strengthen attack or defence. We need to score goals as number one priority, and the defensive record last year was excellent.
    We also play with 2 x 'sweepers' in Derry and Faurlin, plus a good shot stopper, so Neil got us 2 strikers instead

Comment

Originally posted by pauldrayton View Post
      Lee Dixon just commented on it on Football Focus and it's something I agree with. Despite having a good defensive record on paper last season I felt we always looked vulnerable at the back.

No offense to our back four but they are Championship quality at best. I really thought Warnock would strengthen this area and I'm concerned that he hasn't.

I know he's been on a shoe-string but this would have been my priority.

Hopefully this will be addressed before the end of the transfer window.

Anyway, hope the boys do well today.

Come on you RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRS.

Agree with all, apart from what I've highlighted.

Our defence are at least Championship quality, surely??? We won that league, and with a very tight defence. Your wording implies that they may not even be Championship quality!

Semantics!

Agree with the rest, though.
      Last edited by Minty; 13-08-2011, 01:03 PM.
      Be nice to Minty

Comment

And playing an injury prone Dyer at full back and signing virtual recent non-starter Gabbidon in defence may not be the answer either.

Will reserve judgement till after the transfer window closes but it don't look great at the moment.

Comment

Well spotted Minty. Yes they are decent Championship players. I think we'll find it very tough without another quality centre back and a couple of Premier League quality full-backs.

No offence to the current players who will play their hearts out no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by RussRanger View Post
            And playing an injury prone Dyer at full back and signing virtual recent non-starter Gabbidon in defence may not be the answer either.

Will reserve judgement till after the transfer window closes but it don't look great at the moment.
            I'm not going to come on here and say "I told..." :angry:

Comment

Neither am I Russ but I do think Clint Hill, Bradley Orr, Fitz Hall & Tommy Smith are great players for top Championship clubs but not good enough for the Premier League.

Thought we were unlucky to lose by 4 today and the first half performance wasn't bad but we're still 4/5 quality players short of a team that can compete at this level.

Comment

Hill played well today, our best defender today IMO.

Comment

Working...
                X