Connolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Connolly

I think its blatantly obvious that Warnock has his doubts about Bradley Orr for the forthcoming season.

It would be a shame to see Kieron Dyer having to play right back, when he could be better utilised further forward.

I personally would play Matt Connolly at right back. I remember a couple of seasons back when we beat Villa 1-0 in the Carling Cup (Damian Stewart scored) and Connolly played right back that night and completely snuffed out Ashley Young.

The problem with him playing at left back previously, was that he was forced to tackle/play with his weaker foot. Not an issue at right back & he is quicker than Orr!
    I accept that he has his limitations going forward, but playing the system we do, in the Premiership, the back four's sole responsibility will be to defend and not to bomb forward & whip in cross after cross.
    In the Championship, our full backs were expected to do this, but this season, in the Prem, the fear will be that if full backs get caught too far forward, we will get hammered if/when other teams break at pace.

By playing Connolly right back, you can then play Dyer in a forward thinking three (with Taarabt & Campbell), just behind Bothroyd.

Originally posted by rangers74 View Post
    I think its blatantly obvious that Warnock has his doubts about Bradley Orr for the forthcoming season.

It would be a shame to see Kieron Dyer having to play right back, when he could be better utilised further forward.

I personally would play Matt Connolly at right back. I remember a couple of seasons back when we beat Villa 1-0 in the Carling Cup (Damian Stewart scored) and Connolly played right back that night and completely snuffed out Ashley Young.

The problem with him playing at left back previously, was that he was forced to tackle/play with his weaker foot. Not an issue at right back & he is quicker than Orr!
    I accept that he has his limitations going forward, but playing the system we do, in the Premiership, the back four's sole responsibility will be to defend and not to bomb forward & whip in cross after cross.
    In the Championship, our full backs were expected to do this, but this season, in the Prem, the fear will be that if full backs get caught too far forward, we will get hammered if/when other teams break at pace.

By playing Connolly right back, you can then play Dyer in a forward thinking three (with Taarabt & Campbell), just behind Bothroyd.
    You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Agree.

Connolly will do less damage at right back.

Comment

Seen Connolly as right back a couple of times through his years at QPR. Great tackler, vision and pretty pacy actually.
        Would love to see him there this season.

Comment

Personally I'm hoping our starting 11 against Bolton is:

-------Kenny---------
          Connolly--Gabbidon--Hall--Bertrand
          ------Derry------Faurlin--------
          Dyer------Adel-------DJ
          ---------Bothroyd----------
          You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post

-------Kenny---------
            Dyer------Adel-------DJ
            Where's Joe Cole?

Jokes aside, I really think this is a realistic line-up against bolton.

Comment

Originally posted by MattyRangers View Post

-------Kenny---------
              Dyer------Adel-------DJ
              Spot on Matty!!

Comment

One size and Connors for me at centre backs

Comment

Only defender we have who can play in any position at the back. Very useful asset in the Premiership. One would assume that the side for Bolton will be the team that started at Luton. But given Hall and Gabbidon's injury record one can assume Connolly will be in the side for Everton or Wigan. Gorks was not involved at all at Luton so he must be well down the pecking order now with Warnock. I do feel that Hall and Gabbidon are too similar.

I remember when Leigterwood last season went to play some qualifiers for the Caribbean country he plays for that Warnock wasn't too happy. I wonder if Warnock will have this attitude with Hall or is he one of his favourites?

However, we'll wait until the season starts before we start judging players in the Prem. Gabbidon does look very small for a centre half which is interesting.
                  First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

connelly the best of hall, shittu and gorkks

Comment

Gabbidon has played left back for hammers in prem & for wales

Comment

Originally posted by Artful View Post
                        Gabbidon has played left back for hammers in prem & for wales
                        And Hammer on here said he was dreadful at left back. But decent at centre half.
                        First game: Arsenal vs Queen's Park Rangers at Highbury, Saturday 17th November 1984.

Comment

Have to say, I'm not a Connolly fan.
                          But, if Neil plays him, I hope the lad repays the gaffer's faith in him by the bucket load.

Comment

Working...
                          X