Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wing backs ? 5-1-2-2

Just musing

It depends on personnel but how about 3 stoppers with Connolly on the right, Gab on the left and a quality centre back between. Smith as right wing back- and a quality left back from somewhere ( that one Shania likes).

AF Sweeping in front of 3 stoppers , AT and KD in front of AF behind JB and DJ. MC and GAb are sufficiently mobile to push up so it could be quite fluid.

That would not work, IMO. I rate MC, and think he may just surprise a few by getting back to form, however, a marauding wing back, he is not. Neither is Gabbidon.

I think it's obvious that we are really missing a couple of full backs. It's an area which should be priority now.
    Your mum would love me...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBoyRs View Post
      That would not work, IMO. I rate MC, and think he may just surprise a few by getting back to form, however, a marauding wing back, he is not. Neither is Gabbidon.

I think it's obvious that we are really missing a couple of full backs. It's an area which should be priority now.
      Benny,

Thanks for your reply. I think you misunderstood. MC and Gab are centre backs along with an other, Smith and a n other are the wing backs.

Best Wishes

Comment

A proper wing back is very hard to find these days. Walker and bale could do it for spurs that's about it.
        http://twitter.com/Mellowhoop

Comment

Apologies. I read that wrong...
          Your mum would love me...

Comment

Originally posted by Mellowhoop View Post
            A proper wing back is very hard to find these days. Walker and bale could do it for spurs that's about it.
            for this system to work, top quality full backs are required (makes me think of Brazil with Cafu and Robbie Carlos!). Playing Smith as full back would completley take out his attacking qualities as, realistically, we will be defending more than we'll be attacking this season, and so he'll forever be in our half defending.
            You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Comment

As Matty said, to play with no wingers means your full backs have to be very very tasty indeed.

Nice idea but wouldn't work for us.

Comment

Working...
              X