This might seem a bit strange but…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This might seem a bit strange but…

Does anyone remember a group of geezers who used to stand behind the goal in the Loft in the mid-70s? ... their stock in trade was to greet the opposition goalkeeper by shouting "Die (and then inserting the name of the club's previous keeper).

So, when Coventry keeper Neil Ramsbottom ran towards the goal, they would shout out "Die Glazier" (referring to his predecessor Bill Glazier).

I promise you that I haven't been at the drugs (yet) but they did this for most home games in the 1975-76 season and probably quite a few more, though 36 years on I still haven't really worked out why.

Maybe I should have a lie down.

Well obviosly i have no idea, but Its a good story that one.

Comment

Doesnt ring a bell, I used to stand about halfway up to the left of the goal in those days so perhaps out of earshot if it was a relatively small group as we made a fair bit of noise back then.

As an a side relating to your handle, in 75/76 I lived about 50 yards from swakeleys roundabout and had a lovely girlfriend that went to Swakeleys school
      its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

Originally posted by PeterG View Post
        Doesnt ring a bell, I used to stand about halfway up to the left of the goal in those days so perhaps out of earshot if it was a relatively small group as we made a fair bit of noise back then.

As an a side relating to your handle, in 75/76 I lived about 50 yards from swakeleys roundabout and had a lovely girlfriend that went to Swakeleys school
        Peter, we tended to stand about eight rows up behind the goal, slightly to the left; there were only 3 or 4 of them I think and they were a few rows in front to the right.

As for the handle, I'm afraid it comes from the Swakeley Arms before that egotist Jerry named it after himself and rechristened it O'Donoghue's

Comment

I remember the bloke who used to sit - i think - in the upper loft in the eighties and used to shout "shoot" all the time, even if the ball was virtually on the half way line. He had the most unbelieveably loud voice that would carry half way round the ground. Anyone else remember him?

Comment

ah well its possible that we rubbed shoulders during the surges as they often sent me down to where you have described.
            its New Era number 8 i tell thee, bring on the fireworks

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
              I remember the bloke who used to sit - i think - in the upper loft in the eighties and used to shout "shoot" all the time, even if the ball was virtually on the half way line. He had the most unbelieveably loud voice that would carry half way round the ground. Anyone else remember him?
              reminds me of a friend of mine who was so bored watching football that instead of shouting "foul" he'd shout 'penalty' for any foul or tackle anywhere on the ground, but he'd yell it at the TV when he was slightly worse for wear.

Comment

So did they happen to adapt it for the Everton goalkeeper of the time? Surname by the way was Davies, who was a Welsh international. Older supporters will get this, younger ones, just carry on, the view in the old Loft, other than the first few steps was abysmal!

Comment

Originally posted by nobby View Post
                  So did they happen to adapt it for the Everton goalkeeper of the time? Surname by the way was Davies, who was a Welsh international. Older supporters will get this, younger ones, just carry on, the view in the old Loft, other than the first few steps was abysmal!
                  Yes they did!... I should have remembered that. I can't swear to it but I think David Lawson was in goal for them in the 4-0 opening-day defeat in '76, so that was probably when it happened.

Comment

I remember in the 80's lower loft, standing in the corner by SAR, on a milk crate, i used to be next to a black guy who actually commentated on the game as if he were on tv.. Standing there on his own. Bizarre.

Comment

Ted would know?
                      @chrisrobson9

Comment

Working...
                      X