Neil's 'Man On The Run'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil's 'Man On The Run'

On Sunday morning 12th June, several QPR fans ran in the annual Herne Bay 'Man On The Run' road race at Hampton. A record amount of runners (just over 380) turned out for this race that is held to raise awareness of cancer in men.
    Myself along with Dave Robinson and Justin Stone from QPR, plus a variety of East Kent R's, ran in memory of our dear departed brother Neil Roberts, who sadly passed away back in February of this year - The sad aspect of this race is... Neil actually ran in the race last year, not knowing that he had a cancer inside him!

I ran a time of 31mins 12secs over the 5k course, Dave Robinson did just under 30mins, and Justin ran just over 27mins. As a runner I'd say we had ideal weather conditions, there was a slight chill in the air with rain at the start, by the time we'd ran a third of the course the sun had come out. I'd never run in any sort of road race since I'd left school back in 1972, so I was delighted with myself that I actually ran the whole race non-stop, and more to the point, I'd honored Neil Roberts good name.... I had Neil's name and his motto 'ALWAYS THERE' from his days as the Chairman of the QPR Official Supporters Club, written on the back of my shirt!
    Neils young son Charlie, who's only a year and a half old, started the race off. Neils Dad Jack who is 76 years of age and suffers from Parkinson's, flew over from Spain specially to take part. Jack walked the course in just over an hour, and received rapturous applause from the assembled crowd as he crossed the finish line wearing Neils old 'Compact' sponsored QPR shirt!

Next year Dave, Justin, and myself hope to get a few more 'Hoops' to take part in this race - Honestly my friends, it's a very enjoyable event, and you get a beautiful medal, of which I'm very proud to hold, and that I'll treasure forever to commemorate the day Dave, Justin and myself ran for our brother Neil Roberts!

God bless you Neil my dear friend... Joe Hylton.
    R.I.P Steve Edwards, Neil Roberts & Trevor Kingham
    Our "BROTHERS in HOOPS"

well done joe.

R.I.P. Neil.

Comment

rest

rest in peace beautiful neil
      Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

RIP

Comment

top man joe! well done mate.

Comment

Well done to all of you who ran in the man on the run race for Neil Roberts memory, thank you so much for coming down to Herne Bay. It would have meant alot to Neil that you ran in the race. His aim was to get more runners to run and thanks to you lot it happened. It meant such alot to me seeing Joe running with Neils name on his back and Dave with QPR shirt with Robbo 1 on the back. I am running in the womens race for life in Herne Bay next Sunday 26th June which i will be running for my husband Neil Roberts.

Comment

Well done to all who completed the run! I would like to participate next year and will keep my eye out for the details.

Fair play to you Becky and god bless you

Comment

fair play to all involved-lovely to see. best wishes to his family.
                PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Hi Joe....

I was the chap who came over and spent some time talking with you guys... It was great to see other R's in my part of the world and honouring Neil's memory.. I only had about 5/6miles to come over fro the race as I live in the next town which is Whitstable so well done you folks for making a big effort getting here.. a sort of reverse journey to the one I do to LR on match days...

Well done for keeping running for the whole course and in case you are interested I managed to lollop round in around 22mins and 25secs... U R's

Comment

Working...
                  X