• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neil Warnock: "Boardroom upheavals are part and parcel of football life"

"...as is being linked with 50 players

What I Learnt This Week

Saturday, 28 May 2011

I've been away this week, in Scotland, but the phone's not stopped ringing because back at Loftus Road my club is still making the news, with Amit Bhatia, the chairman, resigning after the season-ticket prices were released.

Amit was instrumental in my joining the club last year, so I'm sad to see him go, but these things happen in football and people have to do what they feel is right.

Flavio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone are now running things and both have spoken to me to reassure me of their intentions and told me to ignore newspaper talk about my position. It's not the first club I've been manager of where there's been a bit of upheaval and I've learnt from experience to just get on with my job. For me at the moment that means using whatever resources I've got to try and improve the squad as best as I can over the next four months.

At this time of year it never ceases to amaze me how many players are linked with me. I'm told the count is approaching 50. Quite frankly, some I've never heard of. I guess at this point papers can write what they want just using a bit of guesswork. When they get lucky, about one in 20, they trumpet: "We told you first."

What I can tell you is I'm looking forward to managing in the Premier League. Rodney Marsh, who is an idol at this club, once said the only way I would get a Premier League team is to take one up. He's right too. It's not just me – that applies to a lot of British managers. Look at Owen Coyle, Tony Pulis, Ian Holloway, Mick McCarthy; they all got their first crack at the Premier League through being promoted. Why would I give that up?"

More...http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-2290044.html

Great news that Warnock is not distracted, he is focussed on taking us forward

Comment

That's really good.
      QPR fan since1987

@yousef_qpr

Comment

Thank goodness for Neil's weekly mouthpiece.

Whatever you think about the boardroom squabble, it is time to move on and support the team and the players. Let's face it, they are both using the media to try to swing the fans behind them. As long as they ALL agree to recycle the TV and gate cash into the club to support Neil with a few transfers to upgrade the spine of the team, we should have something to cheer about next year.

Whatever you think about the price rises, it is for each to decide whether or how many tickets to buy.

Personally, I simply cannot afford to go more than once or twice a season at those prices. But hey, I happily chipped in for a couple of Olympic events at 50 pounds a ticket....Rangers in the top division and the Olympics in London...both once in a generation events!

Come on you Rs! Come on Neil, please use the fact that you didnt get the award this year as motivation at the big table. You da man!
        Last edited by Hoopla73; 28-05-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Thank goodness for Neil Warnock's calm, level-headed, no-nonsense, approach.

Comment

Ashame it's the last one. Really enjoy his weekly article. Have to say the LMA award and not being shortlisted is out of order.

Comment

Well, when Warnock comes out and says this, it gives a true indication of whats going on..

Pretty much business as usual in his eyes.

Season ticket issue is a seprate issue, but he has gained alot of respect from fans in the manner he has led the footballing side of things.

I'm off to a punt at 4-11 with SKy bet that he wll be manager first game of the season.
              ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
              THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Delighted to read that.

Also surely surely surely after backing Warnock week after week they cannot do the unthinkable... Can they?

I feel more positive after reading that.

Comment

Personally, before joined Rangers, I did think "Colin" was a bit of a ******!

But, he has barely put a foot wrong since joining Rangers, appears to have reached a new level of maturity in his dealings with media, refs, fans etc, and has presented himself and his family extremely well in the media. He has been wronged in not being Manager of the Year, and he still has a point to prove, only at the highest level.

I for one, cannot help pulling for him, and the players quite clearly showed that they already do last season.

So if NW is happy with the support from the board, then let's get on with supporting the team and manager.

He's our little bit of Marmite and we should show we luv 'im!

Comment

Warnock is our king
                    R's

Comment

I really couldn't stand NW before he came to us -- he has totally won me over.

I feel very strongly that he should have been manager of the year -- I can't think of many managers who would get so much out of AT, nor who could have steadied the ship so well through the FA business, and get us promoted as Champions.
                      I doubt Paul Lambert, as wonderful as the media think he is, could have done either -- he's not is Warnock's league.

Perhaps we should follow his son's example and present him with our own Championship Manager of the Year trophy.
                      Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

I loved Warnock at Sheff UTD, as soon as he joined us, I said, well at least they got a fighter and an old pro, not surprised he turned the ship around, IN Warnock We Trust, and of course he will be manager for our first game next season. Bet 100 pound.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoopla73 View Post

I for one, cannot help pulling for him

He's our little bit of Marmite and we should show we luv 'im!
                          Yeah, but having a Barclays is going a bit too far.
                          I'll stick to giving him the odd cheer every now and again.

Comment

This says a lot'

Amit was instrumental in my joining the club last year.
                            They seek him here.................

Comment

Do you detect slight frustration with the amount he has been given to buy players or am I reading too much between the lines?

Comment

Working...
                              X