Best (and worst)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nodge70 View Post
    Worse was Swansea away in the cup. Still worse than Vauxhall Motors was the following year. Swansea game represented our nadir, I truly thought we were f**ked for good after that game. No idea, no hope, no clue, no money with the administrators closing in. Then Gallen came back and it all turned upwards. Vauxhall Motors was part of a blip in a good season (when Earnshaw ripped the **** the following week) and a good headline, Swansea was the bottom of the barrel with no hope for the future.

The best I think I've ever seen us perform was either the opening day of the 87/88 campaign and absolutely destroyed West Ham in the space of 17 first half minutes with a brand new innovative formation (which given the way we ended 86/87 no-one expected), or the Cologne home leg of the UEFA Cup. Very very special.
    what was the formation, Nodge, and who was the manager?

Comment

Played with a sweeper, but used in the proper "libero" way, not defensively.
      Think Wayne Fereday and Mark Dennis were the full backs who both bombed forward at every opportunity. Jim Smith was Manager as I recall.

Comment

Originally posted by Fawny View Post
        Played with a sweeper, but used in the proper "libero" way, not defensively.
        Think Wayne Fereday and Mark Dennis were the full backs who both bombed forward at every opportunity. Jim Smith was Manager as I recall.
        that must have been fun to watch, I always liked the 3-5-2, german style circa 72-onwards. Jim Smith was a good manager, didn't he go to Derby?

Comment

Originally posted by waterbuffalo View Post
          that must have been fun to watch, I always liked the 3-5-2, german style circa 72-onwards. Jim Smith was a good manager, didn't he go to Derby?
          Toon

Comment

Worst day of our 'new era' for me has to be Swansea away under Dowie. A manager being told to pick 3 foreign youngsters he didn't want and a team that couldn't manage a single shot against a defender in goal. Desperate.

Comment

Working...
            X