All this talk about a new manager...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All this talk about a new manager...

seems to be detracting from the bigger question of this summer....

What players are we going to buy ?

Yes, I know we need some strikers etc, however, still feel we miss a leader in our team. Someone that would play the role that Ray Wilkins/Peter Reid occupied a few years back.

None of the rangers players are natural leaders. I am looking for someone that couple stick a firework up the backside of Routledge or Cook from time to time or just someone that is so influential, that he commands respect on the pitch.

Any suggestions ? The only one i can think of (from a playmaker perspective as opposed someone that could bully people) is Paul Scholes. The type of player I am thinking of probably has a couple of seasons left in them. Before anyone says that you need youth etc, well yes, we have plenty of that but we need someone to lead the youth.

Tugay?

Possibly Lopez could fill that role?

Comment

Very good question conners.

I think at this level the captain plays a key role and you are right about no natural leaders. Mahon, Rowlands, Leigertwood and Delaney have all taken the captians armband but all four might struggle to break into the starting XI next season. Arguably none of the four are natural leaders and as you say it's difficult to think who there is either within the squad or available to bring. With the amount of youth in the squad I wouldn't have a problem with us signing an old head who people look up to. But who?

Comment

good question.if forced to give an answer I would say Lopez.

Comment

Idiakez a few years ago, seemed to have a bit about him. Had we had him when he was fit, he would nearly have been the kind of guy i am thinking of.

As i say, we had Wilkins, we had Reid, we had Trevor Francis, we had Tony Currie. All were very very influential in our team as they came to the end of their careers. Mark Falco was another.

The problem is that there are a lack of ex English internationals so it probably is a case of finding a Tugay (or equivalent)

Comment

Missed out on Tugay(if you believe papers) Its been reported that he is due to accept Coaching role at Man City.

Comment

Originally posted by conners View Post
              Idiakez a few years ago, seemed to have a bit about him. Had we had him when he was fit, he would nearly have been the kind of guy i am thinking of.

As i say, we had Wilkins, we had Reid, we had Trevor Francis, we had Tony Currie. All were very very influential in our team as they came to the end of their careers. Mark Falco was another.

The problem is that there are a lack of ex English internationals so it probably is a case of finding a Tugay (or equivalent)
              Tugay has announced he is joining Man City as a coach so definitely not him but I agree someone like him but there aren't many about. Dietmar Hamann will be released by Man City in the next few days but would we pay his wages?

Comment

Hamann would be good if we could persuade him! Might take a pay cut at his age!

I see Boro are after Neville thats the kind of signing we need, old head who has a lot of experience and will command the team, Neville would still be good for a couple of seasons at this level IMO!

Comment

Hamann would be good if we could persuade him! Might take a pay cut at his age!

I see Boro are after Neville thats the kind of signing we need, old head who has a lot of experience and will command the team, Neville would still be good for a couple of seasons at this level IMO!

Comment

Working...
                  X