Just back from Boro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just back from Boro

After the awfulness of Preston, I thought Middlesborough would be a potential worry.

The signs weren't good. We haven't been particularly great away since January, we hadn't ever scored at the Riverside, Boro had scored 3 on the road to Millwall and Swansea - a team that Boro had stuck three goals past when the Welsh travelled there- had closed the points differential between us and them to just two points.

I was wrong.

Middlesborough were crap. While Boro fans can point to Scott McDonald's miss early on that would have given them easy, we could easily had gone into the break 3-1 up had Taarrabt not got too much under his lob and had Helguson's half chance not gone in.

The second half was all us. Routledge's wonderful cross was capitalised by Helguson with a cracking header to make it 2-0, and when Taarabt was fouled in the box, he pushed Helguson aside- the only controversy of a very un-controversial day - to score his first away goal since Palace away.

Anyway.....

THE GOOD

Hall/Shittu

The great thing about both players is that they don't let the ball bounce and seem to know how to get the ball away. It would be difficult to drop either one of them as they've gone 2 games with a clean sheet, and dealt with the speedy Lita comfortably. Leicester will be a different challenge - particularly against the pacy Yakubu.

Helguson

Battled his way until he asked to substituted. Fantastic header in the second half pretty much sealed the game for us, but he was fantasy.

Faurlin/ Derry

Both players ran the midfield in the second half. Both were fantastic. Faurlin got booked early for an untidy challenge, but thankfully, Derry didn't. We will need both so, so much in this run-in.

Hill

Against the pacy Ben Hair, he struggled. But as ever, he got back, got the ball away and for the second game in a row, looked pretty good going forward. A pleasing thing to see- considering the crap I've given him.

Routledge

In a game where Taarabt didn't have the best of games, Routledge was fantastic on the left, destroying his opposite number. The cross for Helguson's header was absolutely fantastic. He also showed a bit of sportsmanship in injury time when he could have broken and gone for a fourth, he passed it back. A classy move.

The fans

While we didn't take that many (about 800), we were vocal and supportive all the way through the game - even during the first half when Middlesborough applied some pressure. Certainly better than the complacent Preston 'fan' performance. Oh, and we managed to chat "Sean Derry My Lord" for about 10 minutes, which was great. The bedlam after the three goals was fantastic, and it was nice to hear the Boro fans saying we were "noisy" (apart from the woman who asked me if I was at Loftus Road last season when they beat us 5-1, which was a nice reminder of how far we've come)

THE BAD

The ref

While it's understandable that Faurlin and Hall were booked for their challenges, some of the tackles that were going in on our players - particularly two on Taarabt and one on Routledge in the space of a minute that were absolutely horrific - and should have warranted cards. One of the challenges - that undoubtedly won't be repeated - was over the top and could have crippled Adel. I mind if you're consistently good or consistently bad ref - as long as you are consistent.

Boro

They were awful. 'Nuff said.

The ugly

Taarabt and the pen

When Taarabt was fouled, he grabbed the ball and despite Helguson and Derry trying to persuade him otherwise, he refused to let Helguson take what could have been a hat-trick scoring penalty. It was a little bit of a sour note. Of course, it went in, but still.....

Onwards and upwards.
    Last edited by alexferguson60; 27-02-2011, 02:48 AM.

I'd agree with all your comments.
    Boro are very, very poor -- much poorer than Preston imho.
    Just one thing -- "...when Taarabt was fouled in the box, he pushed Helguson aside- the only controversy of a very un-controversial day - to score his first away goal of the season." -- Adel scored at Sheffield United and Palace. But it was his first away goal since October, which is a long time.
    Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

Great report Alex! Thanks

How did Buz do today? Should he keep his place in the side?
      Now, Then, Forever
      [CENTER]QPR-Football League CHAMPIONS

Comment

Good write up cheers.

As discussed on here earlier though its a football match not a vanity contest, if Adel is assigned to take the pens then so be it. Plus he needed a goal.

All about the points. Well done for travelling mate top effort.

Comment

Originally posted by qprjames View Post
          How did Buz do today?
          He was non-existent in the first half, but much better in the second. And yes, he should -although we may need more steel for Leicester.

Comment

You went. I didn't, and I feel bad.
            Especially after the treks to Hull and Burnley for 0-0 draws!

But many thanks for the report... and I WILL go to Scunny, Barnsley, Doncaster, Cardiff etc...

From now on... This is the run-in, and I will witness it.
            Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
              You went. I didn't, and I feel bad.
              Especially after the treks to Hull and Burnley for 0-0 draws!

But many thanks for the report... and I WILL go to Scunny, Barnsley, Doncaster, Cardiff etc...

From now on... This is the run-in, and I will witness it.
              Gutted I missed it too Hopefully the only one I will miss now is Barnsley which has fallen on a Tuesday....!

Make the most of the best football I have seen in an absolute age!
              Now, Then, Forever
              [CENTER]QPR-Football League CHAMPIONS

Comment

Just seen the highlights again.
                The 1st player to run and congratulate Taarabt after the pen.... Helguson.

Not a problem.

Onwards.....
                Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Originally posted by Goddard View Post
                  Just seen the highlights again.
                  The 1st player to run and congratulate Taarabt after the pen.... Helguson.
                  Not a problem.
                  Onwards.....
                  Helguson's a team player. Now what would have happened if it was the other way round??

Anyway, if that was the only controversy, we must have had a pretty ****ing good day.

Comment

Long day. Glad that one is out of the way.

My write up =They all played well most of the time. Solid though a bit lazy after the 2nd.

The penalty thing was very wrong. We have got a little bit too used to Adels tantrums to point we-re inured and let them go over our heads. But I can't imagine the stick I would love dishing out if I watched an opposition team squabble about the pen taker. I thought he was going to showboat it again as well for a while. Warnock should have words

Whilst on subject of Warnock I am finding the compulsion to use all the subs more and more irritating as time goes by. Today was bad enough when we were 3 up (but even Boro played up after the subs) but why does he do it? It invites teams to come on.

Comment

To be fair Stan the game was won. Probably giving the lads a run out for they're appearance bonus. Probably £500-1k a time each.

Comment

Thanks for the match report, bloody well written.
                        Do you think Shittu and Hall will go for a third game in a row?
                        How did Miller do?

Comment

Thanks for that..always look out fo reports like yours so cheers

Comment

Hi - thanks for that.

Really good report for us that were not there. I don;t agree with this bit though:

Originally posted by alexferguson60 View Post
                            The ugly

Taarabt and the pen

When Taarabt was fouled, he grabbed the ball and despite Helguson and Derry trying to persuade him otherwise, he refused to let Helguson take what could have been a hat-trick scoring penalty. It was a little bit of a sour note. Of course, it went in, but still.....

Onwards and upwards.
                            There is no room for complacency or sentimentality in a title charge. Adel takes the pens. Give it to someone on a hat trick - if he missed and boro get back in it would be very clear why it is not the right thing to do.

We have to be utterly ruthless.
                            twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

The last player "on a hat trick" who we let take a pen?

Step forward Fitz Hall. Who promptly missed. Professionally done yesterday. Not a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X