Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the club right to adopt a no spend policy this transfer window.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, the title of the thread is mis-leading as there is not a no spend policy - all players brought in have cost a lot in wages, there will be signing/bonus fees and the like attached to the Smith, Van Moen, Shittu & Chimbonda deals and the loans still cost money.

Now, as we all know, buying players (no matter who they are) will not 100% ensure promotion - but you buy them for big transfer money, on large wages and with long contracts - say you then don't get promoted and inherit the PL windfall (£60M or whatever it is) - you then have a host of newly bought players on aforesaid big spend and cannot sustain it for a further year in the Championship. Furthermore, the players you buy to get out of this league into the promised land are not usually the ones you want/need once you get there. Ergo, you then need to get out of long contracts and often have trouble off loading - we all know about these problems with the likes of Vine and Aggy, for example.

So, this is the route the Board have chosen - and to be fair, the players brought in have the ability and capability to achieve promotion - once they do then proper business can be done for next season (including those of the loans and short terms that are deemed appropriate for the PL) and the rest can be sent packing for little or no outlay beyond any bonus deals now in place.

It makes good business sense, whilst allowing for a damn good punt at the title.

And remember, as above, no matter what you spend, you are not guaranteed to succeed.
    Last edited by Bluehoop; 01-02-2011, 11:14 AM.
    #standuptocancer
    #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by vblockranger View Post
      think Warnock has been disappointed with the little money that has been made available for transfer fees
      Think he would have preferred to have spent some money on a striker but instead was offered the Miller loan which is a bit of a gamble as the guy's fitness is questionable. If 3 or 4 million was made available for a striker then i think we would have walked the remainder of the season. But tbh with the players we have i am still fairly confident of automatic as long as the important ones stay fit and i am hoping Miller remains fit and does the business.
      Warnock stated on Talksport this sunday that their was no money to spend, and he was disappionted and frustrated. Alan Brazil asked him if he had targets, he replied yes, and would of liked to of bought rather than loan ppl. Brazil then asked him if the board didnt realise that spending to get promotion would be to their benefit etc?, Warnock side stepped the question and said the board and him were a team.

Thank god for Talksport or we would have no official line of what is really going on at the club.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluehoop View Post
        Well, the title of the thread is mis-leading as there is not a no spend policy - all players brought in have cost a lot in wages, there will be signing/bonus fees and the like attached to the Smith, Van Moen, Shittu & Chimbonda deals and the loans still cost money.

Now, as we all know, buying players (no matter who they are) will not 100% ensure promotion - but you buy them for big transfer money, on large wages and with long contracts - say you then don't get promoted and inherit the PL windfall (£60M or whatever it is) - you then have a host of newly bought players on aforesaid big spend and cannot sustain it for a further year in the Championship. Furthermore, the players you buy to get out of this league into the promised land are not usually the ones you want/need once you get there. Ergo, you then need to get out of long contracts and often have trouble off loading - we all know about these problems with the likes of Vine and Aggy, for example.

So, this is the route the Board have chosen - and to be fair, the players brought in have the ability and capability to achieve promotion - once they do then proper business can be done for next season (including those of the loans and short terms that are deemed appropriate for the PL) and the rest can be sent packing for little or no outlay beyond any bonus deals now in place.

It makes good business sense, whilst allowing for a damn good punt at the title.

And remember, as above, no matter what you spend, you are not guaranteed to succeed.
        When was this guaranteed?

Comment

Originally posted by highgradeR View Post
          When was this guaranteed?
          Not said any where its guaranteed - but one thing is for sure - go out and buy, buy, buy the kind of players wanted and then not get promoted and you are left with one hell of an expensive mess which cannot be sustained by average crowds of 14,000.
          What I have posted is a model used by previous clubs - by which I mean loan, beg, steal and borrow - then start to spend in the PL once you know how you are settling in - Blackpool for example seem to have had a decent window?
          #standuptocancer
          #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Not being funny Hull are the only Championship team to have spent big money this window. Norwich made Barnetts move permanent and bought two players for small fees. Cardiff bought Parkin for a nominal fee.

I think all our signings have been very shrewd.

Chimbonda taken 75% wage drop has something to prove.

Big Dan loves the club and is a good player to have for certain fixtures as Connolly struggles with the bigger strikers.

Routledge knows the club inside out, proven at this level.

Vaagen Moen has looked pretty decent and will improve.

Miller a cut above what we have if stays fit I think he will score ten by May.

In Warnock and the board we trust.
            15 years in the wilderness will be a distant memory come Sunday 8th May 2011.

Comment

Warnock stated on Talksport this sunday that their was no money to spend, and he was disappionted and frustrated. Alan Brazil asked him if he had targets, he replied yes, and would of liked to of bought rather than loan ppl. Brazil then asked him if the board didnt realise that spending to get promotion would be to their benefit etc?, Warnock side stepped the question and said the board and him were a team.

Thank god for Talksport or we would have no official line of what is really going on at the club.
              Brasil has been banging on for 3 weeks about the board at QPR not supporting NW. They are colleagues and friends, so he knows more than we do.

But our squad does look strong enough...I would love them to take the risk and buy good quality to get up, but it's not my money (well a little bit of it is...or was!).
              twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by silvercue View Post
                Brasil has been banging on for 3 weeks about the board at QPR not supporting NW. They are colleagues and friends, so he knows more than we do.

But our squad does look strong enough...I would love them to take the risk and buy good quality to get up, but it's not my money (well a little bit of it is...or was!).
                It doesn't matter what we want or think, Warnock, an experienced football manager has stated in plain english he wanted to BUY. The board should of backed him, end of.

Comment

Id say the board wern't too sure about shelling out for another stiker after Hulse being a bit of a bad buy. How much was spent on him with no real rewards?

Comment

It doesn't matter what we want or think, Warnock, an experienced football manager has stated in plain english he wanted to BUY. The board should of backed him, end of.

Comment

Of course the club are right not to buy,as a club with limited resources
                      you have to cut your cloth accordingly.

I know many will say but the club is rich,but it is not,the owners are.

If it was your money would you invest heavily in the hope you reach
                      the so called promised land or would you be intelligent and use your business
                      sense and tread carefully until you reached the promised land and then
                      reconsider your strategy and position.

My opinion for what its worth is,if we had gone down the road of spending heavily in the Jan window and not made it to the promised land we could
                      well find ourselves with the clubs existence being put into jeopardy again
                      and i for one do not want to see any buckets around the ground again,with the exception of good causes like Grace.

If you are a real supporter i think the latter makes sense.I know as supporters
                      we all want the best for Rangers but lets do it correctly and prudently.

Remember the days of Chris Wright,Mike Sheron etc. it didnt work and
                      suddenly we were in the pure existence scenario.

Comment

Originally posted by SANDERSON8 View Post

My opinion for what its worth is,if we had gone down the road of spending heavily in the Jan window and not made it to the promised land we could
                        and i for one do not want to see any buckets around the ground again,with the exception of good causes like Grace.

Well said S
                        #standuptocancer
                        #inyourfacecancer

Comment

Originally posted by SANDERSON8 View Post

Right so if the owners know so much and are prepared to ignore the advice of an experienced football person in Warnock, why is Warnock here? Why dont they sack him and run everything themselves?

Numerous ex players and ppl working in the game who know more than us fans, have questioned the sense of our owners. To make a go of the premiership, if promoted, plans need to have started. Those plans must of included buying players now, not just in the summer. Well Warnock thinks so anyway.

Comment

Warnock is here to run the team.,team selection,tactics,shrewdness,football managerial
                            knowhow,man management need i say more,i dont want to teach you how to suck eggs.

The board act in the best all round interests of themselves and the club with short term
                            stratedgies and long term stratedgies which grant you is not very common these days
                            but makes sense finacially for the club.

All i can compare it to is a workmen gets given a set of tools and materials,some good,
                            some average some bad and some bad.The workmen does the best he can with the tools
                            and materials provided within the confines of the agreed budget.

The workman is Mr Warnock and the materials and tools are the players,the coaches,the kitman,the training ground and even the tea lady at the training ground.

Mr Warnock is not here for his financial skills as he is not an accountant,we have to be prudent because we do not command crowds of 60000 every week.

In a nutshell you cant run until you walk.

With regard to various ex players and people in the game they are just offering an
                            opinion,they are not at the sharp end.You do not always have to believe everything
                            Mr Warnock says because if we do not go up,he will always be able to say wd needed
                            this player and that player during Jan.He is just covering his ####.

We are five points clear,just enjoy the ride

Comment

we're top of the league and only getting 13,000 each week, yet we've signed numerous players since warnock took over.
                              So, say they stump up 5 million on a couple of players.......then we don't go up. They then decide to cut their losses and leave at end of season. Who foots the wage bill then?

Comment

think we've done wll this window tbh
                                PRIDE OF LONDON.

Comment

Working...
                                X