McCarthy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McCarthy

As its now reported we might well be back in for him if we can off-load some dross, thought I'd take a closer look.

First the bad stuff.

Type his name into google and second subject headline that comes up is "Benni McCarthy fat".

Also, doesn't appear he has done much at West Ham, albeit in a troubled season, and fans there don't seem to rate him too highly. Also wasn't considered good enough by SA for the world cup despite an excellent record for them - a suspicion, then, that he is a faded talent.

Now the good stuff.

His scoring record is amazing. Is, say, Jason Roberts any better than this, particularly when you consider the level that these goals were scored at:

Senior career*
    Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
    1995–1998 Seven Stars 56 (38)
    1997–1999 Ajax 36 (20)
    1999–2003 Celta Vigo 66 (10)
    2002–2003 → Porto (loan) 11 (12)
    2003–2006 Porto 74 (34)
    2006–2010 Blackburn Rovers 109 (37)
    2010– West Ham United 11 (0)
    National team‡
    1997– South Africa 79 (31)

That is pretty incredible and am feeling a bit guilty now for sounding so underwhelmed when we were first linked to him. OK so he doesn't have the potential of Miller who is a decade younger but that is quite some record and if as Warnock insists he is fit I think he could indeed do the business for us.

Thoughts plse.

Yep, we just let Warnock get on with things!
    Kept the faith!

Comment

I think he could do a job. I understand peoples concerns, and im sure ther eare safer options out there - which I see is frustrating. However, the class in the premiership is generally a lot better than the NPC - and it normally shows when they drop a league. Routledge stands out in this division, but not in the premiership, and look at Adel. Walker wasnt getting into the spurs side, but look at him now - and was a class above anyone in this division. Players like Phillips dont really do much in the premiership these days, but they are generally more clinical in front of goal than the lower league players. I actualy think Mccarthy would be a good signing, but not as the only striker signed

Comment

he's currently lazier than a scouser offered work after twenty years on the rock n roll........makes jim royale look mobile ffs!!
        you know nothing john snow!!!!

Comment

Facto: so you sayign he is less agile than Rob Hulse?

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post

Senior career*
            Years Team Apps† (Gls)†
            1995–1998 Seven Stars 56 (38)
            1997–1999 Ajax 36 (20)
            1999–2003 Celta Vigo 66 (10)
            2002–2003 → Porto (loan) 11 (12)
            2003–2006 Porto 74 (34)
            2006–2010 Blackburn Rovers 109 (37)
            2010– West Ham United 11 (0)
            National team‡
            1997– South Africa 79 (31)

wow. thats some record.
            would love to see him given a chance on a freemans.

Comment

Hold that thought....

@SkySportsbucko: Skysports.com understands West Ham United are interested in Blackburn Rovers attacker El Hadji Diouf and could offer Benni McCarthy in exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                Facto: so you sayign he is less agile than Rob Hulse?

too be fair to hulse stains old chap the climate and food down here has arrected him badly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by G.T.P View Post
                  wow. thats some record.
                  would love to see him given a chance on a freemans.
                  good grief gianni will you never learn

Comment

"I've been allocated a certain budget by the board this week, and the priority is three, maybe four other players," Warnock told the Fulham and Hammersmith Chronicle.

"Once they're sorted out we'll look at Benni's situation again, especially if we have players leaving in one form or another.

Warnock also dismissed any suggestions that McCarthy was still out of shape, saying he looked sharp after scoring in the 9-2 friendly defeat to Tottenham Hotspur in midweek.

"He did all right and looked fit, so those fat boy stories are untrue," the manager says.

http://www.kickoff.com/news/19812/en...-loan-deal.php
                    NW thinks he looks good and reckon we should take him on

Just need to off load Clarke and Rowlands to get some extra cash

Comment

Working...
                    X