Beating Sheffield Wednesday and emulating Birmingham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beating Sheffield Wednesday and emulating Birmingham

Now I understand most aren't concerned with talk of relegation but it wasn't that long ago that we were facing exactly that. After 25 games last season we were 11th and just about to start our 5 game losing streak and a long way off top spot. It took 41 matches last season to accumulate the same number of points as we have done this season. I know we all want success and we all would love to gain promotion but I believe it's important to remember how far we've come.

Anyway, what's this got to do with The Owls? Well last season they were relegated with 47 points and we've already achieved that this season. Again I understand most will say big deal but for those who were at Selhurst Park last April I hope they'll realise just how much things have changed. Before that match you, me and everyone else believed we were doomed.

So how are we emulating Birmingham? Now I've not looked through the history of every team who has ever played in this division but the Birmingham side of a couple of seasons ago remind me of our current situation. Not losing many, not conceding a lot and struggled in front of goal. Although actually we aren't - with 21 matches to go we only need another 10 goals to score as many as they did for the whole season. Yep that's right they scored just 54 in 46 matches and actually were only the 12th highest scorers in the division but they lost just 9 all year and conceded just 37.

After 24 matches they too had 47 points the only difference is they won their 25th game and we drew ours. Similar points at the same stage but they had scored 10 fewer and had conceded 6 goals more. Wolves were above them and finished above them but in terms of what they had and what the other teams around them had it is quite a similar season to the way this one is going. Instead of in other years two teams beating everyone and the overall points total being exceptionally high we have a situation where everyone is beating everyone and the points needed to finish in the top two will be lower than when Fulham and Reading ran away with the titles which disorts the averages in my signature. Birmingham finished with 83 points or 33 from their remaining 21 games. 7th in terms of form over those matches and just 20 goals scored but just 14 conceded. Once again SAF's saying that defenders win titles is very true (they didn't win the title but you get the jist).

Hopefully the above will put some minds at rest about goal scoring - even Wolves struggled in the back end of that season (9th in form) but managed to go up. We've come a long way in a short space of time and although their isn't an immediate sign of reinforcements we don't IMO need 90+ points to go up. Of course the title would be nice but finishing above 3rd should be all that matters. Of the 21 games more than half (12) are against teams currently in the bottom half and just 5 against teams in the top half away from home. This is our time we've beaten Wednesday and if we can match Brum then come May we will all be smiling.

Makes perfect sense, here's hoping !

Comment

another good thread mate, interesting read

Comment

Tops - Great Post again!!!

Comment

I am so tired today, can someone some it up in one simple sentence?
          Banning people is no longer my hobby,
          but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
          http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

You know it makes sense

Very good read SPC

Comment

SPC, you have faaaaaaar too much time on your hands mate

Quality post once again mate. Hat off to you, sir.
              Your mum would love me...

Comment

Sir Pie whenever I feel sh!tty about Rangers (last min goal, losing Kyle) your posts always give me hope. Great post.

Basically concerning Birmingham it boils down to Sir Alex's famous words,

Strikers win games, defenders win titles.

I really feel that is the case this year with our excellent defensive record.

Comment

Great post. Cheered me up no end.

Comment

Originally posted by Kirill View Post
                    I am so tired today, can someone some it up in one simple sentence?
                    OK then! The R's are going up!!!!
                    oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post
                      Now I understand most aren't concerned with talk of relegation but it wasn't that long ago that we were facing exactly that. After 25 games last season we were 11th and just about to start our 5 game losing streak and a long way off top spot. It took 41 matches last season to accumulate the same number of points as we have done this season. I know we all want success and we all would love to gain promotion but I believe it's important to remember how far we've come.

Anyway, what's this got to do with The Owls? Well last season they were relegated with 47 points and we've already achieved that this season. Again I understand most will say big deal but for those who were at Selhurst Park last April I hope they'll realise just how much things have changed. Before that match you, me and everyone else believed we were doomed.

So how are we emulating Birmingham? Now I've not looked through the history of every team who has ever played in this division but the Birmingham side of a couple of seasons ago remind me of our current situation. Not losing many, not conceding a lot and struggled in front of goal. Although actually we aren't - with 21 matches to go we only need another 10 goals to score as many as they did for the whole season. Yep that's right they scored just 54 in 46 matches and actually were only the 12th highest scorers in the division but they lost just 9 all year and conceded just 37.

After 24 matches they too had 47 points the only difference is they won their 25th game and we drew ours. Similar points at the same stage but they had scored 10 fewer and had conceded 6 goals more. Wolves were above them and finished above them but in terms of what they had and what the other teams around them had it is quite a similar season to the way this one is going. Instead of in other years two teams beating everyone and the overall points total being exceptionally high we have a situation where everyone is beating everyone and the points needed to finish in the top two will be lower than when Fulham and Reading ran away with the titles which disorts the averages in my signature. Birmingham finished with 83 points or 33 from their remaining 21 games. 7th in terms of form over those matches and just 20 goals scored but just 14 conceded. Once again SAF's saying that defenders win titles is very true (they didn't win the title but you get the jist).

Hopefully the above will put some minds at rest about goal scoring - even Wolves struggled in the back end of that season (9th in form) but managed to go up. We've come a long way in a short space of time and although their isn't an immediate sign of reinforcements we don't IMO need 90+ points to go up. Of course the title would be nice but finishing above 3rd should be all that matters. Of the 21 games more than half (12) are against teams currently in the bottom half and just 5 against teams in the top half away from home. This is our time we've beaten Wednesday and if we can match Brum then come May we will all be smiling.
                      And your point is Great read again
                      I blew a lot on vodka and tonic, gambling and fags. Looking back, I think I overdid it on the tonic. - The one and only Stanley Bowles

Comment

Very interesting read as ever, Sir Pie, thankyou, and agree about how far we have come.

I would only make a couple of caveats.

It seems a little early to me (half the season still to go) to somehow suggest we could drop down the form table and still go up. It might well be the case the way our so-called rivals are imploding, but I think its a dangerous mindset. We have been slipping down the form tables for quite a while already and it only takes - for example - Forest and Hull to put on a sustained run and we could be caught quickly if we don't put some wins together soon.

I take your point about a strong defence potentially doing a lot of the work to get you promoted. However I would just say a) Brum had Kevin Philips to come off the bench late on and (from memory) he scored some crucial goals to turn 0-0s into 1-0s, whereas we don't have anyone like that and b) as a long-standing Rs fans who has sat through the heartache of conceeding so many late goals I'm not sure my heart could take the kind of match where we are hanging on to single goal leads! I thought this season we had finally kicked the habit of conceeding late but as we were reminded on Saturday if you repeadly spurn chances and lack a clinical finisher (sorry for slipping that one in) then you are always vulnerable late on and puts enormous extra pressure on your defence.

Comment

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
                          Very interesting read as ever, Sir Pie, thankyou, and agree about how far we have come.

I would only make a couple of caveats.

It seems a little early to me (half the season still to go) to somehow suggest we could drop down the form table and still go up. It might well be the case the way our so-called rivals are imploding, but I think its a dangerous mindset. We have been slipping down the form tables for quite a while already and it only takes - for example - Forest and Hull to put on a sustained run and we could be caught quickly if we don't put some wins together soon.

I take your point about a strong defence potentially doing a lot of the work to get you promoted. However I would just say a) Brum had Kevin Philips to come off the bench late on and (from memory) he scored some crucial goals to turn 0-0s into 1-0s, whereas we don't have anyone like that and b) as a long-standing Rs fans who has sat through the heartache of conceeding so many late goals I'm not sure my heart could take the kind of match where we are hanging on to single goal leads! I thought this season we had finally kicked the habit of conceeding late but as we were reminded on Saturday if you repeadly spurn chances and lack a clinical finisher (sorry for slipping that one in) then you are always vulnerable late on and puts enormous extra pressure on your defence.
                          We only need to finish a point (or even a single goal ahead of the 3rd), which over the last three seasons 80 points is enough for automatic promotion or 32 points from 21 matches which is just 8 wins, 8 draws and 5 losses. We don't need to be the form team at the end of the season because of our early form. We currently sit 15 points ahead of Hull meaning even if we accumulated 14 points fewer than them over the next 21 matches we'd still finish ahead of them. We're 11 ahead of Forest and I agree both could go on a run but we're already a number of matches up on them and they'd have to win at least 4 more matches than us. Of course it could happen and of course I don't like the thought of wanting to scrap through on the last day of the season but if we do I don't think anyone will care how we got there.

As for Kevin Phillips (you can trust me to look his record up) he only managed to score in three matches once coming off the bench. He scored against Sheffield Utd and Southampton in Matches 1&2 and scored 2 against Swansea in Match 18. He didn't score again from the bench for the rest of the season. He scored 14 all season - Taraabt already has 12. It would be lovely to have a clinical striker but his record that season wasn't as good as it could have been especially as he failed to score in a further 10 matches from the bench.

Comment

OK Sir Pie, you have battered some sense into me with your stats. I submit!

Encouraging what you say about how hard it will be for Forest or Hull to overake us as I had been thinking of them as more of a threat than the more obvious teams around us such as the two Welsh teams. Leeds and Leicester I guess the other threats but Leicester yet another inconsistent side.

Comment

Originally posted by sirpiechucker View Post

Seriously. Good post.

Comment

Working...
                              X