After promotion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After promotion

OK, so the title of this thread presumes a lot and in reality I'm well aware we could blow it until the second it becomes mathamatically impossible for us not to go up - call it years of supporting Queens Park Rangers.

But IF we gain promotion, how ambitious do you think the board will be? There seems to be a commonly held view that our strange assortment of millionaires and billionaires have been careful with their money while we have been in the Championship but that when we reach the promised land of the Premiership they will go football crazy - rather like the smell of petrolium at F1, the potential glory and the sheer enormity of modern Premiership football will go to their heads.

But there is another way of looking at this. They have already seen rich men throw money at a football club: might they not think it would be even cooler not to spend much money and still do pretty well? Plus there isn't a single member of our board who seems even half as passionate about us as, say, Abramovich obviously is or at least was about Chelsea. I could see them adopting something closer to the Blackpool model than the Chelsea model personally. Even in the Championship we are talking about signing Keane and Walker etc. Me? I just can't see it, even in the Premiership - but would be very happy to be proved wrong.

Originally posted by stainrodisalegend View Post
    OK, so the title of this thread presumes a lot and in reality I'm well aware we could blow it until the second it becomes mathamatically impossible for us not to go up - call it years of supporting Queens Park Rangers.

But IF we gain promotion, how ambitious do you think the board will be? There seems to be a commonly held view that our strange assortment of millionaires and billionaires have been careful with their money while we have been in the Championship but that when we reach the promised land of the Premiership they will go football crazy - rather like the smell of petrolium at F1, the potential glory and the sheer enormity of modern Premiership football will go to their heads.

But there is another way of looking at this. They have already seen rich men throw money at a football club: might they not think it would be even cooler not to spend much money and still do pretty well? Plus there isn't a single member of our board who seems even half as passionate about us as, say, Abramovich obviously is or at least was about Chelsea. I could see them adopting something closer to the Blackpool model than the Chelsea model personally. Even in the Championship we are talking about signing Keane and Walker etc. Me? I just can't see it, even in the Premiership - but would be very happy to be proved wrong.
    Dont think we will spend that big. Think you will find the owners have spent a minimal amount of their own money instead taking a loan out against the club in the hope promotion can pay it back(hence the recent article about the loan against LR). Can't see huge funds being made to spend if we get there, probably just enough to stay up.
    Now, Then, Forever
    [CENTER]QPR-Football League CHAMPIONS

Comment

We will know more in January how much our owners are willing to spend and how ambitious they are. At least Warnock knows what or who is needed and what the true value of players are so at least any fee paid should be grounded with a degree of realism.

Comment

Certainly Warno knows his onions at Championship level - he is less proven at Premiership level. The Shaun Derrys on a free - great though he has been for us this season - are not going to swing it in the Premiership. Does he have an intimate knowledge of who, say, are the peripheral players at the big four clubs who have good attitudes and might be prized away? I don't know the answer to that, merely ask the question.

Comment

Think we would get some additions in the summer and become more attractive for players once in the premiership. Might not be spectacular signings, but I guess as proved by WBA, Newcastle and Blackpool its more about supplementing yourselves in the prem and making sure you don't get relegated
          ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
          THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Only thing I would put my house on happening is that ticket prices will go through the roof and relocation will be confirmed.

I reckon the club will spend frugally but enough to keep us up. I would predict the Board (and let's not forget it is still Bernie and Flav at the helm) take the line that the next step up requires more revenue to be generated first - so the move and price hike will be sold as steps in that. None of this should surprise too much - the business plan from the take over remains the only one on the table.

Comment

Originally posted by stanley75 View Post
              None of this should surprise too much - the business plan from the take over remains the only one on the table.
              Yes, a 'business plan' that included the promise of CL football within 4 years (of which 3 have already passed?). I wonder if that is still part of the agenda

Comment

I am guessing some judicious air-brushing has been applied to that part of Ali Russels' job description. I think we are all asked not to count last year as they didn't really know what they were doing so it doesn't count. Madrid in 2012 for sure (is there an emoticon with a beard I can add here?)

Comment

Working...
                X