Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Portsmouth News/Neil Allen - Referees' chief apologises for QPR blunder

Portsmouth News/Neil Allen - Referees' chief apologises for QPR blunder
    Steve Cotterill has revealed how he has received an apology from a referees' chief over the recent QPR debacle.
    Last month, the Blues were heading for a 1-0 victory over the runaway Championship leaders following a Liam Lawrence penalty.

But in stoppage-time, referee Gavin Ward harshly adjudged that Lawrence handled Tommy Smith's cross inside the penalty area.

Smith levelled from the spot to preserve a record which remains unbeaten even now for leaders QPR.

It was a highly- controversial decision which left Pompey and supporters fuming.

Now Cotterill has admitted he has since received an e-mail from the referee's assessor present on the night, who conceded the penalty should never have been awarded.

Cotterill was still unhappy at the denial of two precious points, though.

He said: 'We should have beaten QPR – the referee made a big mistake.

'Afterwards they think they can correct that by sending me an e-mail admitting that someone got it wrong.

'It was from the assessor, for all the good that does this football club.

'Yet who is prepared to say that on the night?

'After a match I speak to the television, radio and then press. Now I haven't got a problem with that.

'So why can't match officials also come out and speak, explaining some of their decisions?

'It's wrong. We want to hear what they have to say on things like this.

'It's not much comfort afterwards being told by somebody else it was a mistake. We should have won that game and be two points better off in the league.

'It cost us big time.'

What a load of sh1te from Cotterill. He is talking about one decision in a game and we could also claim to have been awarded a pen. The QPR penalty decision was so immotive because it came late in the game but no-one can deny that Lawrence deserved to be sent off due to his over reaction and his school girl display of petulance!
    oldhoop

The Bread Mans Blue and White Army

Comment

Brings a tear to the eye, doesn't it?

God, I thought Warnock was a serial whiner... but this bloke takes the biscuit.

Him and Billy Davies should release a Xmax single>>> that should cheer the nation up.
      Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Did we receive an apology for their re-taking of their penalty?

Comment

Originally posted by oldhoop View Post
          What a load of sh1te from Cotterill. He is talking about one decision in a game and we could also claim to have been awarded a pen. The QPR penalty decision was so immotive because it came late in the game but no-one can deny that Lawrence deserved to be sent off due to his over reaction and his school girl display of petulance!

Don't let it get to you fella. Another manager with sour grapes! I love the way he's brushed over the fact that Kenny made a fantastic save from the penalty on for yet another blunder from the officials ordered a retake. At the end of the day these things even themselves out. It did that night.

Comment

Originally posted by yugohoop View Post
            Did we receive an apology for their re-taking of their penalty?
            I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

In all fairness, I think Gavin Ward is one of the worst refs i've seen.
              But Portsmouth had 90minutes to win that game, and like yugohoop said, did we get an apology for their re-take ?!
              Under Les Ferdinand:
              Luke Freeman, top assists in the league: 4million
              Alex Smithies, great goalie for this club: 3,5million
              Charlie Austin, 19 Premier League goals: 4million
              Jack Robinson: Contract ran out, left for free
              And many more mistakes

LES FERDINAND, IT'S TIME TO GO

Comment

boo-hoo.

every club, except Man Utd, gets poor decisions. We all have to live with it and be dignified about these things.
                twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

Lawerence did actually go for an x-ray after the game and they saw a mitre print across his ribs.

But who cares
                  ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                  THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

We deserved at least a draw anyway. Swings and roundabouts

Comment

Steve one thing to say mate...

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment

Working...
                      X