anyone wishing to travel to Hole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone wishing to travel to Hole

HULL City are confident that this weekend's clash with league leaders QPR will not succumb to the cold snap currently gripping East Yorkshire.

Freezing weather in recent days has plunged the KC Stadium under a blanket of snow and raised early concerns that Saturday's fixture will inevitably fall victim to the conditions.

But while forecasts promise little respite to the sub-zero temperatures, the Tigers remain hopeful that the KC Stadium's under-soil heating will still allow the game to go ahead.

"We're quite cool about the whole thing at this stage, we don't foresee any problems," said John Cooper, general manager at the KC Stadium.

"The forecast at the moment is for freezing temperatures, rather than more heavy snow, and providing that doesn't change, we're confident the game will go ahead.

"If things stay as they are at the moment we should have the pitch clear of snow by Thursday.

"We've also got plans in place for in and around the stadium this weekend so hopefully there will be no issue of calling the game off. We're very positive."

The KC boasts a state-of-the-art under-soil heating system that has helped them beat freezing conditions in previous years.

While it provides no guarantees that Saturday's fixture will go ahead, a gradual rise in the underground temperature is expected to see the current snow covering thaw out in the next 48 hours.

Groundsmen will leave the pitch until all snow is cleared and providing the region avoids further snow in the build-up to Saturday's game, City expect to have the situation under control.

"Under-soil heating is more of a preventative measure than a cure," explained Cooper.

"It's a very careful process. We kept the heating off all of last week and allowed a frost.

"For the next couple of days there will be no-one allowed near the pitch to avoid doing any damage.

"The pitch temperature was around two to three degrees but we're slowly upping that now.

"It'll build as the week goes on and by Thursday we'll be looking to have the temperature up to 10 or 12 degrees.

"That will allow the snow covering to thaw out slowly and all being well, give us a clear pitch well before the weekend."

The KC has not been immune to the weather, however, and heavy snow saw City's Premier League fixture with Chelsea called off in January.

That was a decision based largely on safety concerns and Humberside Police will be in regular consultation again this week.

Gritting will take place on the access roads to the KC but Cooper admits there will be some factors out of his hands.

"For the Chelsea game last season there was a huge dump of snow on the Friday night and Saturday morning," added Cooper.

"Safety then became an issue going to and from the stadium and that was outside of our control.

"We're having a meeting with Humberside Police to plan for every eventuality this weekend, purely as a precaution, but it's a situation we will monitor as the week goes on."
    Thank **ck thats all over with !!! need a holiday!!!

Hull freezes over, eh?
    I'll get me coat.
    Banning people is no longer my hobby,
    but take a look at my photo blog:

http://kirillqpr.blogspot.com/

How and why did I start supporting QPR in Estonia:
    http://www.wearetherangersboys.com/forum/blog.php?b=852

Comment

As long as we're not already in North Yorkshire before they decide to postpone.
      Faurlin is my hero!!! Love him!!! #########

Comment

Originally posted by swanleyhoop View Post
        As long as we're not already in North Yorkshire before they decide to postpone.
        Like the poor Yeovil fans were... just as their game at Hartlepool was called off at 1.30 pm on saturday.

Ouch.
        Final Version - Hope you like it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1z0UQ0eqRM

Follow Me On Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/QPRGoddard

Comment

Hard to see it going ahead... mostly nowadays it's not state of the pitch that gets games called off it's the state of surrounding roads, gangways and approaches. Still, at least it looks like pitch will be okay if game goes ahead - would hate to have game reduced to a lottery based on which team has the best ice-skaters.

Comment

Working...
          X