Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are the top two good enough for the prem?...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are the top two good enough for the prem?...

...asks NewsNowQPR.

Are the teams leading the Championship good enough for the Premiership?by Ben McAleer

Monday, November 29th, 2010

As we approach December and long winded Christmas break, it is interesting to think where the teams currently spearheading the Championship title charge come May. With Queens Park Rangers (QPR) currently unbeaten and eight points clear of the Play-off spot and five points clear of second placed Cardiff City, they are the undoubted favourites to win the title whilst it will be interesting to see if Cardiff can finally make it into the Premiership following their play-off defeat to Blackpool city last season. However, my main question has to be, are they good enough to survive in the top flight of English football should they both achieve promotion.

Surely both Neil Warnock and Dave Jones (QPR and Cardiff City managers respectively) have to draw strength from the performances of last years’ promotion winners with Newcastle, Blackpool and WBA sitting in 9th, 11th and 12th respectively all on nineteen points each. All three aren’t looking at all out of their depth this season and rightfully so. All have a decent squad with a decent manager in charge capable of survival and maybe more this season with the Premiership more open than ever as all three sit four points off 6th but five points off the relegation zone.

One team both QPR and Cardiff, coupled with the current play-off candidates, must not follow the example of is Derby County. Derby will mostly be remembered for their stint in the Premiership for finishing with a record lowest ever total of eleven points in their 2007/08 season confirming their relegation from the top tier of English football before April had even begun. Yet, with only nineteen games played and the frost of December still to work its way round football stadiums up and down England, a lot could change before May. Whilst the top of the Championship may have QPR next to it, May is still six months away and any team could sneak in to take that away and with any team from 3rd to 20th still able to claim a play-off place, absolutely nothing is decided yet.

For whatever team does manage to win promotion to the Premiership, I’m confident that any team has the mental and physical strength to survive in the top tier. Newcastle, Blackpool and WBA are all holding their own against the seasoned Premier League veterans and with the players at the disposal to the managers in the Championship, surely those that obtain promotion will have fairly won the right to play against England’s finest teams and, in my opinion, will be strong to survive in the Premiership against the best teams in England should that be QPR, Cardiff City, Swansea City or any other team performing well in the Championship.

depends on how we both strengthen but QPR and Cardiff both have the nucleus of a prem team, you saw that on saturday.

Comment

Squad wise and potential wise, I Think we will better than Blackpool, on a par with West Brom and behind Newcastle.

Need to strengthen the squad in Jan and summer but sure we will. Can't see Neil allowing us up with an understrength and under-equipped squad.

Comment

It will be more difficult because the really awful teams like West Ham won't be there for a certain 6 points.

The article doesn't say a lot tbh. We would need to strengthen - that's key.

I still think Blackpool will get relegated this year. If they do survive it will be for one season only.
        twitter @silvercue

soundcloud

Comment

im

i'm not sure we will have to stengthen the squad,as i've always said,football is all about ,management,warnock can get a fairly average player and turn him into a superstar.....................he's the complete package and is in the same leauge as brian clough,and bill shankley

SO UP UP AND AWAY,IN OUR WONDERFULL HELIUM BALLOON
          Click here to view my blog.

More...

Comment

Yes. Both of us will add more quality to squad in january, though i can see Cardiff having to sell one of thie big star strikers to pay off debts first.

Comment

Working...
            X