Who did we actually want?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who did we actually want?

We were either linked with or would liked to have signed a number of strikers this summer but for one reason or another we didn't. Hooper went to Celtic, Maynard got injured, Iwelumo was supposedly a "donkey" and Boyd was going to "rip this division to shreds". Your words not mine.

Now obviously nobody knows how some may have performed for us but many of the strikers we missed out on aren't in the list below. Almost half the list are midfielders and players like Parkin, Hayter and Somma would have been given grief before they'd have even touch the ball if they had signed for us. Arguably the only two we "missed out on" were Stead and Sharp but I don't remember being linked to any of the others. Do you?

Jay Bothroyd Cardiff City 13
    Kris Commons Derby County 10
    Chris Iwelumo Burnley 9
    Lewis McGugan Nottingham Forest 9
    Jamie Mackie Queens Park Rangers 8
    Luciano Becchio Leeds United 8
    Scott Sinclair Swansea City 8
    Adel Taarabt Queens Park Rangers 8
    Jon Parkin Preston North End 7
    Danny Graham Watford 7
    Adam Hammill Barnsley 7
    Andy King Leicester City 7
    James Hayter Doncaster Rovers 6
    Liam Lawrence Portsmouth 6
    James Coppinger Doncaster Rovers 6
    Steve Morison Millwall 6
    Jonathan Stead Bristol City 6
    Billy Sharp Doncaster Rovers 6
    Marvin Sordell Watford 6
    Davide Somma Leeds United 6

To be fair with Boyd, he's not a good player and very lazy with it, but what he is, is a prolific finisher. In my humble opinion, of course. Playing in a side who have been pretty awful hasn't helped his form. I truely believe that in a team like ours, he'd have scored hatfuls by now, but I do take your point. Many laughed at the prospect of the 'useless' Iwelumo, who I actually thought would be a good addition, although, I didn't expect him to score many. Given the choice between Iwelumo and Hulse, I'd have picked Hulse all day, and he's hardly set the world alight. I still feel he'll continue to grow in confidence, and that he'll score a fair few more for us.

To answer your question, SPC, I really don't know any more. Some of the ones I'd have liked, haven't done well for their clubs so far this season, and some who I wasn't keen on have done fantastically in the Prem so far. Hind sight and all that.

I think it's best to leave it to NW and stop thinking we know better. After all, we've done fairly well so far this term.
    Your mum would love me...

Comment

Originally posted by BennyBoyRs View Post
      To be fair with Boyd, he's not a good player and very lazy with it, but what he is, is a prolific finisher. In my humble opinion, of course. Playing in a side who have been pretty awful hasn't helped his form. I truely believe that in a team like ours, he'd have scored hatfuls by now, but I do take your point. Many laughed at the prospect of the 'useless' Iwelumo, who I actually thought would be a good addition, although, I didn't expect him to score many. Given the choice between Iwelumo and Hulse, I'd have picked Hulse all day, and he's hardly set the world alight. I still feel he'll continue to grow in confidence, and that he'll score a fair few more for us.

To answer your question, SPC, I really don't know any more. Some of the ones I'd have liked, haven't done well for their clubs so far this season, and some who I wasn't keen on have done fantastically in the Prem so far. Hind sight and all that.

I think it's best to leave it to NW and stop thinking we know better. After all, we've done fairly well so far this term.
      That, I think, is exactly the point I was making.

Comment

I have been one of the main culprits calling for fresh blood upfront and I do think an addition in Jan is still important however you won't hear me put this name forward etc etc. We have the best manager in the league (allbeit I did call for him when others wanted curbs) but I have got silly regarding strikers. The 2 I raved about were Kitson and Nugent yet they went to Barnsley and lost 1-0, I ask myself wtf is that all about? This isn't football manager and I like plenty of others on here know fu ck all. Lets please enjoy the ride and let Neil call all the shots.

Oh and another thing, people questioned warnocks targets in Varney and Walters, well they are the inform strikers in the premiership so like I said we call all have opinions on this messageboard but they mean sod all.
        I played sunday league football today.

Clearly I was the best player on the pitch.

I scored 5 and made 7 last ditch tackles.

We lost 5-0 but the rest of my team were sh it!

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
          I have been one of the main culprits calling for fresh blood upfront and I do think an addition in Jan is still important however you won't hear me put this name forward etc etc. We have the best manager in the league (allbeit I did call for him when others wanted curbs) but I have got silly regarding strikers. The 2 I raved about were Kitson and Nugent yet they went to Barnsley and lost 1-0, I ask myself wtf is that all about? This isn't football manager and I like plenty of others on here know fu ck all. Lets please enjoy the ride and let Neil call all the shots.

Oh and another thing, people questioned warnocks targets in Varney and Walters, well they are the inform strikers in the premiership so like I said we call all have opinions on this messageboard but they mean sod all.
          Agreed. But this won't stop people saying we should sign player X or Y and if we don't they'll have a good old moan and when Player X or Y fail those same people will say nothing.

How many wanted Ched Evans and Leroy Lita a couple of seasons ago? You won't here those people saying they were wrong do you?

Comment

I wanted Walters here, and also thought we could have done a lot worse than Varney, but the main one I laughed off was Harewood, who is also looking a good signing for Blackpool.

Comment

I think the only one of that list I expressed a real interest in was Danny Graham - still think he looks a fine prospect but as always, I am prepared to leave it to Sir Neil to decide who he buys.
              #standuptocancer
              #inyourfacecancer

Comment

would like Micahel Owen or Bebe on loan to end of season.

Failing that Roberts or Bedntner
                ALL BEST BANTER AND ALL THE LATEST FROM QPR.
                THE WEST LONDON 90 MINUTE FOOTBALL SHOW EVERY MONDAY FROM 9.30PM http://mixlr.com/the90mfs/

Comment

Originally posted by qblockpete View Post
                  would like Micahel Owen or Bebe on loan to end of season.

Failing that Roberts or Bedntner
                  Is Owen realistic Pete?

Comment

Not sure if your trying to crack a funny Pete but I definately wouldn't want Owen. He's finished and we don't need a player with no hunger for the game. Let him stick to horses.

Comment

Owen no hunger for the game? On what basis do you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreQPR12 View Post
                        Not sure if your trying to crack a funny Pete but I definately wouldn't want Owen. He's finished and we don't need a player with no hunger for the game. Let him stick to horses.
                        Joke, surely?

Now, I very much doubt Owen would even consider the drop, but 'IF', and I do mean 'IF' hed did, He'd be a fantastic addition. Imagine the impact he'd make from the bench, if that was his limit.

Great finisher. Just not good enough to get in ahead of the youthful Hernandez, or Mr. Rooney.

Comment

Guys a complete to sser. Has no interest in football. He would never leave the premiership as his ego would never handle it. He is finished, and just on 1 last big pay day.

Comment

Yes - at complete ******. Always in the headlines for the wrong reasons, and always looking to sit and collect a wage. If that were true, why would he have moved to Manure when he could collect at Newcastle?

I guess we'll see in time, how he goes about his career, but personally, and I know you're entitled to an opinion, I feel that is hugely disrespectful to one of Englands model pros.

Comment

Since seeing how well Varney has done in the Prem and how I had a right whinge when I thought we were signing a "Derby reserve" I have learned to sit back and trust Uncle Neil.

Comment

Working...
                              X